• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Hey Rick,

I hope everything is going well with the new store location. :wishluck:

So what is the price per point of Action 23 these days?

lower grades sell pretty quickly at 2k a point

Mid at 3

Exponential from there

Thanks Rick

Gator,

Granted I know little about you compared to other boardies but it seems like you mostly deal with gold/silver age comics and especially high end ones.

When people walk in your store, do you ever buy newer collections if you see some key issues or do you turn them down and ask them to try "The other guy" down the street?

Gator,

Granted I know little about you compared to other boardies but it seems like you mostly deal with gold/silver age comics and especially high end ones.

When people walk in your store, do you ever buy newer collections if you see some key issues or do you turn them down and ask them to try "The other guy" down the street?

Our convention model is about 50% gold/silver and about 50% bronze/copper keys. The $500-$500,000 crowd

Our store is a bit opposite. We have 5/$1 comics upto about $500

So we literally buy everything that walks in the store, especially the .25-$1.00 books. Our customers love em!

Gator

First off, nice store! Hope you are getting settled in.

I know you haven't been in the comic book store biz that long, but what is the best thing that has walked in so far? Any nice GA loads?

Howdy. Actually been in the comic store biz since the early 90s ...

In all my years I've only had one really good ga collection walk in. Have had all the sa and up keys make their way to the store, but Florida (at least panhandle ) is not a hotbed for that type of collector (though I have cultured many over the years)

Gator

I know you haven't been in the comic book store biz that long, but what is the best thing that has walked in so far? Any nice GA loads?

In all my years I've only had one really good ga collection walk in. Have had all the sa and up keys make their way to the store, but Florida (at least panhandle ) is not a hotbed for that type of collector (though I have cultured many over the years)

Do you offer tea and crumpets while a quartet plays Mozart in the background?

I know you said you were a Batman fan before (at least I think that was you. hm ) so what's your favourite book/run right now in your collection and what's at the top of your list of something you have yet to own?

Gator

Do you offer tea and crumpets while a quartet plays Mozart in the background?

if requested, of course...naturally, I said "cultivated", but siri changed (that's my story and I'm sticking to it!)

I know you said you were a Batman fan before (at least I think that was you. hm ) so what's your favourite book/run right now in your collection and what's at the top of your list of something you have yet to own?

I have had complete runs of batman, detective (hero), superman, action, ww, sens, etc multiple times...

right now, batman 1, 11 and 47 are among my favorites right now in my collection

tec 31 and 69 and 71 are among my favorites right now in my collection...

book I don't own that I want to in a bad way is star ranger funnies 2/1 (that would, essentially, help me complete the entire centaur publisher)

Down to the last one? Man, that is a feat to put those together. I would probably GIVE you that book if I had one.

Putting together sets of DC's are pretty easy if you have the cash. Putting together sets of Centaurs...good luck.

I know I've been chasing a lot of Speeds, Catmans, MLJ's, Aces and others for years to complete runs and sets. Seems like they never turn up in the grade, price or at the right time. Probably won't ever finish but they are fun to chase.

Down to the last one? Man, that is a feat to put those together. I would probably GIVE you that book if I had one.

Putting together sets of DC's are pretty easy if you have the cash. Putting together sets of Centaurs...good luck.

I know I've been chasing a lot of Speeds, Catmans, MLJ's, Aces and others for years to complete runs and sets. Seems like they never turn up in the grade, price or at the right time. Probably won't ever finish but they are fun to chase.

I put a set of speed and catman together complete...

never really tried aces etc...

What do you think the price per point is on Detective 33?
not much sales data to cull from, but I suspect non entry level seems to be about 10-12K depending

I put a set of speed and catman together complete...

never really tried aces etc...

Don't try the Aces...kinda 'meh'.... :D

Have you ever sold a lot of super high end books to collectors that you've never seen from again? I'm curious how many amazing collections there are out there that will likely never be seen from again.

Similar question, of the books over 20k that you've sold, what % have reentered the market?