• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

1. What's the story on that Superman 1 on your facebook page?

Seems too good to not have been slabbed, but nice to see one out in the open. If this is discussed elsewhere on the board, let me know.

2. Are there any circumstances where you would re-slab a book? Does the new case design provide any incentive? I have a cracked one now, but don't really want to mess with it.

3. Hoarding GA keys in a bank vault seems greedy - is there any "public use" they can be put to, where they are (excessively) insured and safe? I asked the Smithsonian about this years ago, and they had some initial interest, but then dropped it. There's a traveling exhibit, but that seems more risky than the Smithsonian.

4. If you owned the restored 4.5 tec27 sold by Heritage this year (note: not me!): (http://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-27-dc-1939-cbcs-restored-vg-45-extensive-amateur-off-white-pages/a/7124-91043.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515), would you:

a. professionally restore it even more (and if so, how high could it grade), or

b. try to remove the existing restoration (not sure if it's even possible); and

c. under either (a) or (b), would there be any value bump over $165K to justify either?

1-was owned by a friend that recently passed

2-would reslabbing intending to sell

3-plenty of folks will insure I use collectinsure.com

4-I would remove the bad resto and re-restore professionally , however don't believe it was worth the 165 paid. But obviously worth it to the new owner

Good answers to be sure, but in #3 I wasn't asking about insurance so much as identifying a worthwhile venue to lend comics to for display/public use purposes. Like this guy in London displaying his own collection is cool, but do you know anyone who has lent items to a 3rd party to "share the wealth" and whether it was a good idea in retrospect? There's a new art museum down here in Miami, maybe I'll look into that.

1. What's the story on that Superman 1 on your facebook page?

Seems too good to not have been slabbed, but nice to see one out in the open. If this is discussed elsewhere on the board, let me know.

2. Are there any circumstances where you would re-slab a book? Does the new case design provide any incentive? I have a cracked one now, but don't really want to mess with it.

3. Hoarding GA keys in a bank vault seems greedy - is there any "public use" they can be put to, where they are (excessively) insured and safe? I asked the Smithsonian about this years ago, and they had some initial interest, but then dropped it. There's a traveling exhibit, but that seems more risky than the Smithsonian.

4. If you owned the restored 4.5 tec27 sold by Heritage this year (note: not me!): (http://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-27-dc-1939-cbcs-restored-vg-45-extensive-amateur-off-white-pages/a/7124-91043.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515), would you:

a. professionally restore it even more (and if so, how high could it grade), or

b. try to remove the existing restoration (not sure if it's even possible); and

c. under either (a) or (b), would there be any value bump over $165K to justify either?

1-was owned by a friend that recently passed

2-would reslabbing intending to sell

3-plenty of folks will insure I use collectinsure.com

4-I would remove the bad resto and re-restore professionally , however don't believe it was worth the 165 paid. But obviously worth it to the new owner

Good answers to be sure, but in #3 I wasn't asking about insurance so much as identifying a worthwhile venue to lend comics to for display/public use purposes. Like this guy in London displaying his own collection is cool, but do you know anyone who has lent items to a 3rd party to "share the wealth" and whether it was a good idea in retrospect? There's a new art museum down here in Miami, maybe I'll look into that.

Plenty of folks (myself included) have lent comics to various regional/local museums for display, to geppis, etc

You have $5,000 to spend on one of the following based on significance and cover, which do you pick and why (can be based on personal preference favorite villain, favorite cover, future profitability, rarity, etc):

World's Finest 3

Detective Comics 40

Detective Comics 58

Detective Comics 66

Detective Comics 68

Detective Comics 73

Detective comics 140

Detective Comics 142

Detective Comics 168

Batman 121

Edited by Flashattack

You have $5,000 to spend on one of the following based on significance and cover, which do you pick and why (can be based on personal preference favorite villain, favorite cover, future profitability, rarity, etc):

World's Finest 3

Detective Comics 40

Detective Comics 58

Detective Comics 66

Detective Comics 68

Detective Comics 73

Detective comics 140

Detective Comics 142

Detective Comics 168

Batman 121

all wonderful books...

tec 168

tec 40

my top 2...just wonderful books, high demand, great covers and stories...

Wow...don't know if I thought more or less...I wonder,with that black cover,how many have CT/restore work?

Figure there are less or more Subby #1?

Probably 1/2 restored. But it's not a black cover but blue (thumbs u

Gator, I'd like to get your opinion on Two-Gun Kid # 60 and your thoughts on OPG and CGC labels giving two price spreads on this book wnoting that handwritten

I believe that the OPG and CGC Label Notes are incorrect, regarding their report on copies with a typeset issue number on cover existing.

Overstreet lists the prices of "edition with hand written issue number on cover" as marginally higher than a typeset copy.

Overstreet Price Guide reads as:

60-New origin

GD $11 VG $22 FN $33 VF $76 VF/NM $163 NM- $250

60-Edition w/handwritten issue number on cover

$ GD $12 VG $24 FN $36 VF $82 VF/NM $179 NM- $275

CGC Label Notes read as:

Origin & 1st Appearance Of The New Two-Gun Kid (Matt Hawk)

Copies exist with handwritten issue number.

My question is, have you *ever* seen a copy of this book that had a typeset "60" in the issue number box?

I have not.

Every #60 I have seen has a handwritten 60 on the front cover.

Wow...don't know if I thought more or less...I wonder,with that black cover,how many have CT/restore work?

Never seen one in person..? :blush: I always sort of thought it looked navy,but most pics looks black.

Thank you.

Gator, I'd like to get your opinion on Two-Gun Kid # 60 and your thoughts on OPG and CGC labels giving two price spreads on this book wnoting that handwritten

I believe that the OPG and CGC Label Notes are incorrect, regarding their report on copies with a typeset issue number on cover existing.

Overstreet lists the prices of "edition with hand written issue number on cover" as marginally higher than a typeset copy.

Overstreet Price Guide reads as:

60-New origin

GD $11 VG $22 FN $33 VF $76 VF/NM $163 NM- $250

60-Edition w/handwritten issue number on cover

$ GD $12 VG $24 FN $36 VF $82 VF/NM $179 NM- $275

CGC Label Notes read as:

Origin & 1st Appearance Of The New Two-Gun Kid (Matt Hawk)

Copies exist with handwritten issue number.

My question is, have you *ever* seen a copy of this book that had a typeset "60" in the issue number box?

I have not.

Every #60 I have seen has a handwritten 60 on the front cover.

I've only seen typeset # on the marvel milestone version. All originals I've seen seem to have been produced from the 60 being hand drawn on oa used in production. Not to say it wasn't corrected somewhere, but i can't recall seeing

Never seen one in person..? :blush: I always sort of thought it looked navy,but most pics looks black.

Thank you.

It's a blue cover. Never seen a pic depicting it black?

Here's the Allentown copy when I used to own it

image_zpsfgxih29z.jpeg

Hi Rick,

What do you see happening to the market and prices for GA books as the population ages and, for lack of a better word, "exits" the hobby? Is there much interest in this era as a whole with younger collectors, or is the outcome going to vary greatly based on character/ title?

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi Rick,

What do you see happening to the market and prices for GA books as the population ages and, for lack of a better word, "exits" the hobby? Is there much interest in this era as a whole with younger collectors, or is the outcome going to vary greatly based on character/ title?

Thanks,

Ryan

Great question and very relevant. Can't wait to hear G.A.tor's response. Can we tack on to this question what would happen to any key book, e.g. AF15, Hulk 1, Action 1, ...

Thank you.

It's a blue cover. Never seen a pic depicting it black?

Here's the Allentown copy when I used to own it

image_zpsfgxih29z.jpeg

My eyes just want to see it black I guess.

Any idea who had the restore work done on that?Necessary do you think?

Hi Rick,

Thanks,

Ryan

this market, like all collectible markets, is not only cyclical, but will undergo pricing corrections...now, is this 3 years or 30 years out, is anyone's guess, but it will happen....blue chips will be largely resistant, but "common" material will be affected, imo