• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Did watch us lose our qb tonight though :cry:

What I don't understand about Meyer - why is JT Barrett still in the game and running with the ball with 5 mins left and a 23 pt lead.

Glad to see you stayed up and watched!! How about that catch before halftime?!!!! One of the greatest of all time?? Certainly the best of the year so far!!! Looking good for the Bucks to move up to second i would think?

Hey Gator,

what are the next upcoming comic cons to go to in the East area around November time frame that is worth it and that you will be setting up a stand for it?

there are none after nycc in oct that we participate in.

You can Goto http://www.conventionscene.com/schedules/comicbookconventions/ to see what might be in your area

Did watch us lose our qb tonight though :cry:

What I don't understand about Meyer - why is JT Barrett still in the game and running with the ball with 5 mins left and a 23 pt lead.

Glad to see you stayed up and watched!! How about that catch before halftime?!!!! One of the greatest of all time?? Certainly the best of the year so far!!! Looking good for the Bucks to move up to second i would think?

That was a sick catch, to be sure. FSU lost so they'll move up. I like the 2 young backs, shouldn't really miss a beat without Zeke. Defense is good, not great, aside from all the picks that is which IS great.

Rick:

Which is the better Wonder Woman book to own, 98 or 105? Also what is a good price per point to pay if looking to purchase a copy? Thanks.

98 is certainly in more market favor at the moment (used to be 105)

Been going 800-1000 a point

Rick:

Which is the better Wonder Woman book to own, 98 or 105? Also what is a good price per point to pay if looking to purchase a copy? Thanks.

Actually, 98 has been easing back down. A really nice 6.0 with nice pages didn't even hit 4K in the last Clink auction. While 98 is a desirable book I personally didn't understand the sudden run up last year. Correct me if I am wrong but the origin story, which starts in 98, is a trilogy, consisting of 98,99, and 105. 105 not only concludes the origin but summarizes all three parts. As you stated, for years 105 was the go to book. I love all the issues from this era and they are all exceptionally rare in the census. Obviously the run up in 98 has brought many more to market and is actually got a higher census than the other issues around it.

Edited by bomber-bob

Rick;

With the mind-blowing record prices that some of the later Fox books in relatively low grade seems to be achieving recently, do you think the later Fox books are now in more demand than the earlier Fox books from 1939 and early 1940? Or is it that we simply haven't really seen many of the early Fox books in the marketplace, and they would also be at record highs if they do show up in the marketplace?

Some examples of recent high prices for some of the later Fox books:

1) Raw VFish copy of Mystery Men 30 apparently selling for $7,500 at SD Con;

2) Raw VG copies of Wonderworld's 11 & 12 selling on eBay for around $2,700 each;

3) Raw Fair copy of Amazing Mystery Funnies Vol 2 #1 selling on eBay for $2K; and now a

4) CGC 4.0 graded copy of U.S. Jones 2 selling on eBay just this past weekend for $4,716. :o:o

Seems like some of these later Fox books are starting to approach or possibly even surpass the valuations of their earlier counterparts, or are these just one-time lucky shots on behalf of the sellers? ???

As someone who collects these JB said it best over in the Fox thread. These later Fox books before they handed the keys to Holyoke had some dynamite cover work led by Romana Patenaude and as he also stated are some of the toughest books of any of these shorter runs to find. I like them all personally but i think it's a classic case of supply not meeting the demand. There are after all only 2 copies of US Jones #2 on the census with the one being sold last night being the highest graded at a 4.0 and as we know the raw copy that sold on ebay not too long ago is the other graded copy. There are a few buyers out there as we have seen from the bidding pool competing for an extremely small amount available copies and we aren't afraid to get into bidding wars with eachother to make our dreams come true apparently haha!! Fun stuff!! and......as usual await Ricks answer with :popcorn:

Rick:

Actually, 98 has been easing back down. A really nice 6.0 with nice pages didn't even hit 4K in the last Clink auction. While 98 is a desirable book I personally didn't understand the sudden run up last year. Correct me if I am wrong but the origin story, which starts in 98, is a trilogy, consisting of 98,99, and 105. 105 not only concludes the origin but summarizes all three parts. As you stated, for years 105 was the go to book. I love all the issues from this era and they are all exceptionally rare in the census. Obviously the run up in 98 has brought many more to market and is actually got a higher census than the other issues around it.

:news:

'SA Wonder Woman Journal' will premiere in SA Section this Fall.

WW86_zpslymofowp.jpg

I start with issue #86 (same month as Showcase #4) and chronicle thru #120.

I'm up to #96 in reviews. Reading these stories is tedious -- mindless gangsters (and aliens), childish fantasies, ww identity revealing seekers, all repeated over and over again. The three stories per issue format was out of gas. Bob Kanigher, whom I have great respect for as a writer, clearly was not putting the 'A' work out there. Nor was Peters, who I never cared for, with the art. But you do see glimpses of SA shift in attitude in the 1957 issues with stories about the origin of WW eagle breasted costume. In another story, we learn how she got her jeweled tiara. Although which comes first is confusing.

With the introduction of Ross Andru (Pencils) and Mike Esposito (Inks) in #98, Kanigher puts forth a better effort.

Edited by tabcom

Rick;

With the mind-blowing record prices that some of the later Fox books in relatively low grade seems to be achieving recently, do you think the later Fox books are now in more demand than the earlier Fox books from 1939 and early 1940? Or is it that we simply haven't really seen many of the early Fox books in the marketplace, and they would also be at record highs if they do show up in the marketplace?

Some examples of recent high prices for some of the later Fox books:

1) Raw VFish copy of Mystery Men 30 apparently selling for $7,500 at SD Con;

2) Raw VG copies of Wonderworld's 11 & 12 selling on eBay for around $2,700 each;

3) Raw Fair copy of Amazing Mystery Funnies Vol 2 #1 selling on eBay for $2K; and now a

4) CGC 4.0 graded copy of U.S. Jones 2 selling on eBay just this past weekend for $4,716. :o:o

Seems like some of these later Fox books are starting to approach or possibly even surpass the valuations of their earlier counterparts, or are these just one-time lucky shots on behalf of the sellers? ???

believe it or not the market at that end is being driven by just a couple of folks...but when copies coming to market are that scarce it only takes a couple

That amf2/1 is one of only 2 copies I've seen come to public market in a dozen years. You go BIG when they do show up, or you go home empty handed

Been meaning to ask you about the forgotten Atlas super-hero books that came out in the 1953 to 55 time period. These would be the short run of Human Torch, Subby, and Young Men titles which came out several years after the end of the Timely hero books and also several years before the start of the Marvel super-heroes.

Are these books relatively tough to find or are they simply not in demand since you don't tend to see them in the marketplace as often as the more popular Timely hero books and the much more common early SA Marvel books? ???