• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Been meaning to ask you about the forgotten Atlas super-hero books that came out in the 1953 to 55 time period. These would be the short run of Human Torch, Subby, and Young Men titles which came out several years after the end of the Timely hero books and also several years before the start of the Marvel super-heroes.

Are these books relatively tough to find or are they simply not in demand since you don't tend to see them in the marketplace as often as the more popular Timely hero books and the much more common early SA Marvel books? ???

1950s superhero titles are scarcer in general (especially in grade) but the stories are generally less impressive and for whatever reason less collected (shorter runs, less impressive imo)

Rick, would you say that Young Men#24 is as scarce as Showcase # 4 in all grades?Is it still in demand in your travels? I've had my copy for some years , so i'm out of the market for it myself. Great book cover to cover IMO. Thanks.

Rick, would you say that Young Men#24 is as scarce as Showcase # 4 in all grades?Is it still in demand in your travels? I've had my copy for some years , so i'm out of the market for it myself. Great book cover to cover IMO. Thanks.
I would say it is much, much scarcer than sc 4.

Still sells quickly when reasonably priced

Surprised to hear that it is much scarcer than Showcase 4. :o

Would Young Men 24 be the scarcest issue in the run because it appears to be the most valuable? Or is it's higher value coming from the fact that it is the first issue in the run and also retells the origin of the 3 main Timely heroes?

Since these 3 runs are so short lived, is this an indication that they did not do too well from a sales point of view? If this is the case, would their final issues be the toughest to find as they would be winding down their operations by then?

Does reasonably priced mean at guide prices or possibly even at a slight discount to guide? hm

Would Young Men 24 be the scarcest issue in the run because it appears to be the most valuable? Or is it's higher value coming from the fact that it is the first issue in the run and also retells the origin of the 3 main Timely heroes?

Since these 3 runs are so short lived, is this an indication that they did not do too well from a sales point of view? If this is the case, would their final issues be the toughest to find as they would be winding down their operations by then?

Does reasonably priced mean at guide prices or possibly even at a slight discount to guide? hm

Since this is one of my favourite Atlas books I own I feel compelled to ask how you rate it as an investment book as well.

93526f9115663957cf4bcd52dfa47612fab895b2.jpg

I picked up the Super Soldier copy for just under 2k and have no regrets about owning a solid copy.

I never really thought about it being less common than Showcase #4 though.

Edited by N e r V

Short lived super hero runs in the 50s generally appear to have the lowest production run....24 relaunching the heroes makes it the more desirable issue

Guide is rarely relevant these days. Reasonably priced relates to actual sales prices achieved for the issue

Hey Rick,

Would you consider Star Spangled 7 one of the cooler yellow covers

Thanks !

the coolest SSpangled imo ;)

I've always liked the SS 8 myself ever since I saw the blood red cover for the first time. :cloud9:

The book looked so fresh and the colors just popped as though the reds were just dripping off the cover after just coming off the printing press. Unfortunately, I decided not to take the book after Mark Wilson told me he had cleaned (aqueously) the cover. :(

Maybe I should have picked it up anyways since it was just such an absolutely gorgeous red cover. (shrug)

HI GAtor

With a Top 10 in mind, what in your mind are THE10 'NON Timely' Schomburg covers?

I'm really seeking an answer for the remaining 7 books out of 10 as Suspense 3, Startling 49, and Terrific 5 are no brainers. I'd expect Nedors to dominate, BUT I can think of one Harvey cover that commands BIG bucks whenever it turns up. I won't name it as not to 'influence' your choices for the remainder 7. As always , thanks for your response in advance.

Edited by Sagii

HI GAtor

With a Top 10 in mind, what in your mind are THE10 'NON Timely' Schomburg covers?

I'm really seeking an answer for the remaining 7 books out of 10 as Suspense 3, Startling 49, and Terrific 5 are no brainers. I'd expect Nedors to dominate, BUT I can think of one Harvey cover that commands BIG bucks whenever it turns up. I won't name it as not to 'influence' your choices for the remainder 7. As always , thanks for your response in advance.

these would be 7 of my fav non timely covers (outside of the 3 you mentioned)

in no particular order, and I will try not to duplicate multiple issues of same titles

catman 24

fighting yank 23

brick Bradford 6

exciting 39 (35 real close second for me)

speed comics 31

real life comics 3

all new comics 8

green hornet 17 (20 close too)

love some wonders, thrillings and startlings he did under the air brushed xela too

Edited by G.A.tor

HI GAtor

in no particular order, and I will try not to duplicate multiple issues of same titles

catman 24

fighting yank 23

brick Bradford 5

speed comics 31

real life comics 3

all new comics 8

love some wonders, thrillings and startlings he did under the air brushed xela too

Don't you mean Brick Bradford #6???

HI GAtor

catman 24

fighting yank 23

brick Bradford 5

speed comics 31

real life comics 3

all new comics 8

Gator hates robots.

HI GAtor

catman 24

fighting yank 23

brick Bradford 5

speed comics 31

real life comics 3

all new comics 8

Gator hates robots.

Is that why he sold me his Human Torch #23???

I think he owned my Brick Bradford #6 at one time too. hm

HI GAtor

catman 24

fighting yank 23

brick Bradford 6

speed comics 31

real life comics 3

all new comics 8

yes. Had terrific 5 on mind doh!

HI GAtor

catman 24

fighting yank 23

brick Bradford 5

speed comics 31

real life comics 3

all new comics 8

Thanks! I was spot on on 4 of your choices ( Thrilling 41 would make my list though) and I have always had a soft spot for Fighting Yank 7, and not because I own one ( ok, that's part of it. lol ) but I think it's an awesome work. I nabbed one of your choices recently, thought it was a ship has sailed book, ( a slot I've designated Speed 31 to, what an image). Any way, it's lower grade but I'm glad to own it. Should arrive next week , but I'm gonna get it slabbed soon after. Thanks again! Edited by Sagii

HI GAtor

catman 24

fighting yank 23

brick Bradford 6

speed comics 31

real life comics 3

all new comics 8

While I give great deference to Gator, I would put Speed 28 above 31, as well as above several of the others listed.