• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Which scenario is more likely over the next 10 years:

-Tec #27 surpasses Action #1.

-Batman #1 surpasses Superman #1.

Both might be a stretch, but Cap #1 has surpassed Marvel #1, something that once seemed unfathomable due to scarcity, historical significance, etc.

Gator, what's the difference in the people buying Archie #1 and pep #22 vs AS8, sen1, and ww#1?

Both characters seem to attract a small (growing)% of new/different/irregular customers/collectors.

Are the buyers or interested parties different vs the normal GA collector?

Age ranges? Cultural differences? Locations?

Which scenario is more likely over the next 10 years:

-Tec #27 surpasses Action #1.

-Batman #1 surpasses Superman #1.

Both might be a stretch, but Cap #1 has surpassed Marvel #1, something that once seemed unfathomable due to scarcity, historical significance, etc.

Until we get a strong strong tec 27 sale (like the 9.2) unlikely to happen

Batman , unrestored won't surpass superman imo

I would also place it ahead of AS 8 based simply upon its relative supply and demand ratio.

In other words, although the demand for AS 8 is higher than the demand for Pep 22, the supply of Pep 22 is most certainly only at a fraction of the supply of AS 8. It is conceivable to find some dealers with multiple copies of AS 8's for sale, while at the same time, you could walk the entire convention floor and not see a single Pep 22 for sale anywhere. hm

Ya i would agree with that Pep 22 is hard to find 25 to 1.

Maybe 10-1, not 25-1

Unless there are a lot of private sales of Pep 22 which the general public is not aware of, I personally believe the correct ratio might actually be somewhere in between those 2 numbers. hm

But most probably closer to 10+ as opposed to 25. (thumbs u

Gator, what's the difference in the people buying Archie #1 and pep #22 vs AS8, sen1, and ww#1?

Both characters seem to attract a small (growing)% of new/different/irregular customers/collectors.

Are the buyers or interested parties different vs the normal GA collector?

Age ranges? Cultural differences? Locations?

The superhero buyer gravitates towards the as/ww etc.

the more diversified collector seems to go with pep /Archie first.

Not so much age or culture as it is mainstream affecting some choices

Maybe 10-1, not 25-1

I threw that out there without any real idea but sounds like 10-1 is more like it.

Happy Bird day G.A.Tor (worship)

along that sentiment I hope everyone has a Wonderful Thanksgiving with their friends and family and loved ones!

The same to you and your family. May the turkey be flavorful and the football competitive!

One more stray thought on Archie and early Peps. Clearly Archie's first appearance gives a huge boost to Pep 22. But his first cover appearance in Pep 36 doesn't give that book anything like the boost that, say, Action 7 gets from having Superman on the cover.

Not really an apples to apples comparison, but the discrepancy is still surprisingly large, imo.

Maybe 10-1, not 25-1

I threw that out there without any real idea but sounds like 10-1 is more like it.

Happy Bird day G.A.Tor (worship)

along that sentiment I hope everyone has a Wonderful Thanksgiving with their friends and family and loved ones!

The same to you and your family. May the turkey be flavorful and the football competitive!

One more stray thought on Archie and early Peps. Clearly Archie's first appearance gives a huge boost to Pep 22. But his first cover appearance in Pep 36 doesn't give that book anything like the boost that, say, Action 7 gets from having Superman on the cover.

Not really an apples to apples comparison, but the discrepancy is still surprisingly large, imo.

peps seem less about cover to their fans/collectors

Pep 22 with only 23 cgc copies would be the rarest if it were to be in the top 10.

All Star 8, sens 1, Ww1 were cold as ice before talk about her movie apperance and movie.

People were even saying shes a woman so doesnt really count as a super hero. I could find these in my my old posts.

Pep 22 and Archie 1 has always been in demand by serious collector's The Dentist has both Church Mile High cooies and paid a pretty penny for them. Thats why the Pep 22 didnt sell in the last ha.com auction.

I suspect with the new Archie TV series on The CW january 26th will air. These books will rise in value due to renew demand and scarcity comapared to other top 10 books.

Any idea how many copies of AS 8 have been slabbed so far? ???

Yes, all of the Wonder Woman related books were moribund with limited and tepid demand only a few short years ago, similar to how demand for the World's Finest title still is today. All of the current red-hot demand for AS 8 seems to stem from the crossover hype due to her anticipated movie appearances. So, who's to say what the demand for her titles will be in the long run after the movie comes out and the hype starts to die back down. (shrug)

Not so with the Pep 22 which has always had steady demand from the serious long-term collectors in this hobby. Probably due to its true rarity, this book hasn't really gone through any extended cold periods or extended red hot periods, possibly due to a lack of reinforcing sales. Just strong and steady price appreciation with no apparent end in sight yet. (thumbs u

Doubt the pending Riverdale TV series will have the same price impact on Pep 22 that the highly anticipated WW related movies are having on AS 8. There are simply not the supply of Pep 22's out there to fuel a similar short-term price spiral. hm

BTW: I am not aware of a Pep 22 auction listing that did not sell in a recent HA auction. ???

demand for the big red cheese is on the upswing

Are we talking about a handful of keys, or is the demand being felt across entire runs?

Are the buyers already involved in G.A., or are they buyers from other ages who are motivated by relatively low prices?

Are we talking about a handful of keys, or is the demand being felt across entire runs?

Are the buyers already involved in G.A., or are they buyers from other ages who are motivated by relatively low prices?

Prices on books nowadays are too high for most collectors to go after the entire run. It's almost always about the keys and classic covers in today's marketplace.

For a collector to buy a GA book, I believe they have to make a conscious and deliberate decision to buy a GA book, as opposed to being a BA or CA collector and simply attracted to the book by its low price. In other words, I believe they would already be into GA collecting or have the prior intention of sampling a GA book. hm

early issues sell briskly (1-10) and keys (25) etc

How tough are Master 26 through 40 as we hardly ever see any of the early Masters in grade for sale anywhere?

Which issues are the hidden cover gems since the only ones to be broken out in the guide so far are #29 with the Hitler/Hirohito cover and the issue #40 flag cover? hm

So many other great classic covers in there like the V for Victory, flag cover, swastika smashing cover, etc, and yet they are still lumped together in the guide with no individual breakouts yet. :flamed:

How tough are Master 26 through 40 as we hardly ever see any of the early Masters in grade for sale anywhere?

Which issues are the hidden cover gems since the only ones to be broken out in the guide so far are #29 with the Hitler/Hirohito cover and the issue #40 flag cover? hm

So many other great classic covers in there like the V for Victory, flag cover, swastika smashing cover, etc, and yet they are still lumped together in the guide with no individual breakouts yet. :flamed:

As we all know, bob doesn't even list "cgc" prices in the guide and these cover centric cgc driven "classics" aren't likely to ever be broken out.

26,27 (V), 29 (hitler), 30 (flag), 33 (swastika), etc are all wonder raboy covers.

Ask parker, it's a tough little run to put together. Many issues seem to rarely be sold or auctioned , especially in decent condition.

Gator:

Do you have a favourite Rangers Comics cover?

(And how about that Cowboys/Redskins game?)

26 gets the love , but 3 is my fav

Prescott appears a legit NFL qb

Gator:

26 is my only GA book, I guess I'm not the only one who likes it. lol

3 is great, I'm also partial to 11, 15, and 33.

Prescott and Elliot have both looked impressive.

(Though they won't make it out of the NFC against my Hawks... I hope :shy: )

Gator:

26 is my only GA book, I guess I'm not the only one who likes it. lol

3 is great, I'm also partial to 11, 15, and 33.

Prescott and Elliot have both looked impressive.

(Though they won't make it out of the NFC against my Hawks... I hope :shy: )

Seahawks are probably the main threat to them in the NFC at this point, imo.