• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

GAtor:

Are you clever, brave, hard working or ambitious?

You may only choose one for the purposes of this question.

since "none of the above" was not an option , by default must be clever (work "smart" )

In that case, you are a Ravenclaw :sumo:

ok

Hi Rick,

First off great thread!

Now, if an action comics #1 cover surfaced, what would your estimate be on the hammer price?

Sorry if this question has already been asked

depending on condition, 50-100K easy

Rick,

How much would just a front cover of Captain America Comics 1 go for and are you aware of any that have come up for sale?

I'm not sure what Gator would place the value at, but I picked up a cover last year for around 9,500 on ebay. This was "cheap" because it was raw with so so pictures that made it tough to tell authenticity/restoration. It was also from a seller who never sold comics. I'm happy with the gamble though. I'm not selling, but after I had it graded I've been offered quite a bit more then what I paid.

23506413499_a103ace7d8_o.jpg

Gorgeous!!! Best cover of all time! (followed by Action 1).

Rick,

What are your thoughts on the recent prices realized on the early Actions in the CC auction?

Did #2 @ around $25K seem right to you? (CGC 8.0 conserved)

What about #7 @ around $40K? (CGC 7.0 conserved)

And did you buy either one? :D

i wish. Have had basketball games both nights and missed bidding

Not an acceptable excuse here. (tsk)

Basketball games comes and goes all the time, which is definitely not the case with the opportunity to purchase either an Action 2 or an Action 7. :D

Rick,

What are your thoughts on the recent prices realized on the early Actions in the CC auction?

my personal feeling is that some of the early actions went a little under what i would have thought. Call it auction fatigue, or seasonal dampening, or market softening,

I saw the same thing with several high profile detectives last night

Maybe because the Batman vs. Superman movie didn`t set the world on fire? At this time last year we were prepping for it.

Also no new Batman movie until 2018.

I can see a slight softening now without movie hype to get them red- hot.

I think movies have a lot less impact on GA books, in terms of getting them "hot", compared to bronze to modern...

+1

Although they probably are part of the reason for the significant increase in prices for More Fun 73 and AS 8.

Of course, both of these 2nd tier keys were probably undervalued to start with, which makes it a lot easier to increase in value relative to other books that have been hot for awhile.

Rick,

How much would just a front cover of Captain America Comics 1 go for and are you aware of any that have come up for sale?

I'm not sure what Gator would place the value at, but I picked up a cover last year for around 9,500 on ebay. This was "cheap" because it was raw with so so pictures that made it tough to tell authenticity/restoration. It was also from a seller who never sold comics. I'm happy with the gamble though. I'm not selling, but after I had it graded I've been offered quite a bit more then what I paid.

Love this cover! What a beauty you have :cloud9:

So did you pickup the coverless copy on HA?

Thanks! I bid a little on that one, but I haven't found a interior I had to have yet. (Slabbed universal)

Rick,

Beautiful colours! eBay gambles do work out sometimes, congrats :cloud9:

GAtor,

If you had a WonderWoman 1 would you be actively trying to sell it right now or would you sit on it for a while?

i have both personal copies and multiple inventory copies. Hold right now

Rick,

my personal feeling is that some of the early actions went a little under what i would have thought. Call it auction fatigue, or seasonal dampening, or market softening,

Maybe because the Batman vs. Superman movie didn`t set the world on fire? At this time last year we were prepping for it.

I think movies have a lot less impact on GA books, in terms of getting them "hot", compared to bronze to modern...

+1

Although they probably are part of the reason for the significant increase in prices for More Fun 73 and AS 8.

Of course, both of these 2nd tier keys were probably undervalued to start with, which makes it a lot easier to increase in value relative to other books that have been hot for awhile.

Well, let`s use Captain America #1 as an example of adding Hollywood hype to make it hotter. Before the first Captain America movie a Captain America CGC 2.0 could be had for under 10k, and now you can`t even get a CGC 1.0 for that.

You using More Fun 73 and AS 8 are perfect examples. A couple of good keys that the majority of collectors didn`t start to really notice until the Arrow and Wonder Woman movie buzz started.

Now back to the GA Superman and Batman comics is I suspected there is a slight softening in demand from a year ago because at this time a year ago Batman vs. Superman was all the rage. People had thought it would easily do 1 billion in box office,only to fall far short. So last year was probably be the hottest Superman and Batman comics will be for awhile,until the buzz in 2017 starts again for the Ben Affleck Batman movie ,so if you think about it the next year might actually be a good buying opportunity for GA Batman and Superman comic books before the next Hollywood hype cycle start again. :idea:

Rick,

+1

Well, let`s use Captain America #1 as an example of adding Hollywood hype to make it hotter. Before the first Captain America movie a Captain America CGC 2.0 could be had for under 10k, and now you can`t even get a CGC 1.0 for that.

You using More Fun 73 and AS 8 are perfect examples. A couple of good keys that the majority of collectors didn`t start to really notice until the Arrow and Wonder Woman movie buzz started.

Now back to the GA Superman and Batman comics is I suspected there is a slight softening in demand from a year ago because at this time a year ago Batman vs. Superman was all the rage, People had thought it would easily do 1 billion in box office,only to fall far short. So last year was probably be the hottest Superman and Batman comics will be for awhile,until the buzz in 2017 starts again for the Ben Affleck Batman movie ,so if you think about it the next year might actually be a good buying opportunity for GA Batman and Superman comic books before the next Hollywood hype cycle start again. :idea:

So if the batman v superman movie did way better you think early actions and tecs would still be selling for higher % each time? I don't see how any movie could make comics go up every single sale. Unless maybe everyone's paycheck kept going up each month.

Rick,

+1

Now back to the GA Superman and Batman comics is I suspected there is a slight softening in demand from a year ago because at this time a year ago Batman vs. Superman was all the rage, People had thought it would easily do 1 billion in box office,only to fall far short. So last year was probably be the hottest Superman and Batman comics will be for awhile,until the buzz in 2017 starts again for the Ben Affleck Batman movie ,so if you think about it the next year might actually be a good buying opportunity for GA Batman and Superman comic books before the next Hollywood hype cycle start again. :idea:

So if the batman v superman movie did way better you think early actions and tecs would still be selling for higher % each time? I don't see how any movie could make comics go up every single sale. Unless maybe everyone's paycheck kept going up each month.

i doubt the movie had any real tangible effect. It's more a market phenomenon in play right now.