• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

If it matters. I know the name of the buyer. I know the name of the owner of the store who was the intermediary in this transaction. I saw the book and had it in my hands for a brief moment. It was at least NM imho. The owner was a bit more aggressive than I had been in his handling of the book. He may have caused "slight damage" along the spine where his thumb had grasped the book. Maybe not, but the way he handled it bothered me. Thought I'd add my personal experience. I know there is more to the story after the transaction was completed. The guy who owned it may have been involved in an insurance scam regarding the book but that was hearsay passed to me after the fact. as I had left the "circle of trust".

Hi GAtor, what pedigree if any was the Captain America Comics #1 sold by Verzyl in the early 90's for $5k? Is this the Cap #1 that mysteriously disappeared?
not aware of it being a pedigree, but I will ask John

Hey gator, who was Oral Roberts and are his true stories or junior partners books worth anything?

Granville Oral Roberts was an American Methodist-Pentecostal televangelist and a Christian charismatic. He founded the Oral Roberts Evangelistic Association and Oral Roberts University.

Books worth a smidgen

Hey gator, who was Oral Roberts and are his true stories or junior partners books worth anything?

Granville Oral Roberts was an American Methodist-Pentecostal televangelist and a Christian charismatic. He founded the Oral Roberts Evangelistic Association and Oral Roberts University.

Books worth a smidgen

Would Oral sects books be considered too underground for CGC to slab?

Are there any Oral Roberts books worthy of a Church pedigree? hm

Hi GAtor, what pedigree if any was the Captain America Comics #1 sold by Verzyl in the early 90's for $5k? Is this the Cap #1 that mysteriously disappeared?

It was probably the copy he had before he acquired the Denver Copy. If I had to guess it was probably the Calvin Slobodan copy.

It was probably the copy he had before he acquired the Denver Copy. If I had to guess it was probably the Calvin Slobodan copy.

(thumbs u

Gator, what is the CGC grade/PQ of the Cap #5 Recil that you've got? : )
i think a 5.0. Have to finish inv this week and find it lol

Any idea if the Recil Macon Collection contained many of the early Cap's as the collection was supposedly top heavy when it came to the Timely's?

Would you know if CGC downgrades the books in this particular collection for all of the excessive writing that Recil did on his books, or does CGC generally ignore this defect on the Macon books since this is the key identifying feature of this pedigree. hm

Gator, what is the CGC grade/PQ of the Cap #5 Recil that you've got? : )
i think a 5.0. Have to finish inv this week and find it lol

Any idea if the Recil Macon Collection contained many of the early Cap's as the collection was supposedly top heavy when it came to the Timely's?

Would you know if CGC downgrades the books in this particular collection for all of the excessive writing that Recil did on his books, or does CGC generally ignore this defect on the Macon books since this is the key identifying feature of this pedigree. hm

the recil books I've owned have been in the 3.5 to 7.0 range. Doubt his name has much effect on those grades.

Hey GAtor,

Know any online dealers that have 70s/80s non-comic sci-fi mags?

mike kott of intergalactic should have some. David Alexander also , I believe

Gator football recruiting currently sits at 8th in the SEC (and 4th in the East).

With 5 players leaving early for the draft, is there any optimism that McElwain can close the gap, or are you focusing on 2018 (or 2019?)?