• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Gator;

Have you ever owned or sold a copy of Ace Comics 11 with the first appearance of the Phantom and a book which came out quite a few months before Action 1?

If not, any idea if there is a demand for this book since it is basically strip reprints?  Or is the demand limited due to the simple fact that this book hardly ever shows up in the marketplace and you kind of need supply (i.e. copies to be available) in order to drive demand in this marketplace?  hm

I have owned one. Never had anyone ask me for a copy , even when I had it on my convention wall

5 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Gator;

Have you ever owned or sold a copy of Ace Comics 11 with the first appearance of the Phantom and a book which came out quite a few months before Action 1?

If not, any idea if there is a demand for this book since it is basically strip reprints?  Or is the demand limited due to the simple fact that this book hardly ever shows up in the marketplace and you kind of need supply (i.e. copies to be available) in order to drive demand in this marketplace?  hm

I have owned one. Never had anyone ask me for a copy , even when I had it on my convention wall

If no one has asked you for it, does this mean that you still have it as part of your inventory then?  :wishluck:

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

If no one has asked you for it, does this mean that you still have it as part of your inventory then?  :wishluck:

No. I was able to "sell" it. 

36 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:
3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

No. I was able to "sell" it. 

Do you still remember around when and approximately in what condition the book was in and what price you finally managed to "sell" it for?  hm

26 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Do you still remember around when and approximately in what condition the book was in and what price you finally managed to "sell" it for?  hm

Vg range. $995

35 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Vg range. $995

Seems like a healthy price for the book in that condition range.  (thumbsu

I still remember receiving a newsletter from Metro about a year ago and this was one of the very few books that was on their Most Wanted List at the time.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Seems like a healthy price for the book in that condition range.  (thumbsu

I still remember receiving a newsletter from Metro about a year ago and this was one of the very few books that was on their Most Wanted List at the time.  hm

I think I paid 850-900 so priced relative

Greatly appreciate all of your feedback and responses to our questions here!  (thumbsu

Have you ever seen or heard of a supposedly Cosmic Aeroplane pedigree book that did not exhibit the usual check marks, notations, or other distinct markings that are normally associated with books from this pedigree?  hm

Do books from this particular pedigree carry any type of premium relative to a non-pedigree in the same condition, or not really so much? 

Edited by lou_fine

9 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Greatly appreciate all of your feedback and responses to our questions here!  (thumbsu

Have you ever seen or heard of a supposedly Cosmic Aeroplane pedigree book that did not exhibit the usual check marks, notations, or other distinct markings that are normally associated with books from this pedigree?  hm

Do books from this particular pedigree carry any type of premium relative to a non-pedigree in the same condition, or not really so much? 

Since there were a lot of Centaur books represented in the CA Pedegree I own quite a few of them and in every case they have the distinguishing checkmarks

not sure I've ever placed a premium on them

2 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Since there were a lot of Centaur books represented in the CA Pedegree I own quite a few of them and in every case they have the distinguishing checkmarks

Oh, wow...........Cosmic Aeroplane Centaurs!  :cloud9:

Sounds like there is no list or summary of the books that make up this pedigree as it was dispersed into the marketplace very early on.  Any idea how extensive the Centaur portion would be and if they would include any of the Centaur keys such as Amazing Man 5, Funny Pages Vol 2 #10, etc. since you are the acknowledged expert on the boards here when it comes to the Centaurs?  (thumbsu

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

Oh, wow...........Cosmic Aeroplane Centaurs!  :cloud9:

Sounds like there is no list or summary of the books that make up this pedigree as it was dispersed into the marketplace very early on.  Any idea how extensive the Centaur portion would be and if they would include any of the Centaur keys such as Amazing Man 5, Funny Pages Vol 2 #10, etc. since you are the acknowledged expert on the boards here when it comes to the Centaurs?  (thumbsu

I have seen ca pedigrees across most every 1940s centaur title so my guess is Likely they could exist. 

Gator;

Since you are the brainchild behind the price per point (ppp) concept, just wondering you can give us your current thoughts on the PPP for the following 3 books:

1)  AF 15:  What was the going PPP prior to the recent CC auction, and has this auction last week raised the PPP by anything, or do we need to wait for more data points as this book actually sells quite frequently;

2)  Detective 29:  I thought the PPP on this book was running at something like $12K per point, but with the CC auction at $66K for a 3.0 graded copy, is this a sign that it is heading northwards and doing a little bit of catch up to 'Tec 31; and

3)  Detective 38:  Since the last sale in December was at a PPP of $8,750 for a 4.0 graded copy, I was expecting a PPP of something like $10K for this copy.  Since it sold for $54K or at a PPP of $18K per point, and then followed mere minutes later by somebody snapping up Bob Storms 3.0 graded copy for the full $36K asking price, does this mean that the new normal for this book is going to be $12K+ on a PPP basis going forward?

Thanks in advance for your insight.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

54 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Gator;

Since you are the brainchild behind the price per point (ppp) concept, just wondering you can give us your current thoughts on the PPP for the following 3 books:

1)  AF 15:  What was the going PPP prior to the recent CC auction, and has this auction last week raised the PPP by anything, or do we need to wait for more data points as this book actually sells quite frequently;

2)  Detective 29:  I thought the PPP on this book was running at something like $12K per point, but with the CC auction at $66K for a 3.0 graded copy, is this a sign that it is heading northwards and doing a little bit of catch up to 'Tec 31; and

3)  Detective 38:  Since the last sale in December was at a PPP of $8,750 for a 4.0 graded copy, I was expecting a PPP of something like $10K for this copy.  Since it sold for $54K or at a PPP of $18K per point, and then followed mere minutes later by somebody snapping up Bob Storms 3.0 graded copy for the full $36K asking price, does this mean that the new normal for this book is going to be $12K+ on a PPP basis going forward?

Thanks in advance for your insight.  (thumbsu

As always , one sale does not a market (or trend ) make

i would say sub 5.0 af15 are still 5-6k a point avg. always with exceptions (outliers) as we've seen...the 6-7.5 seem to be On the rise 8-10k+....with 8.0 and above exponential with no default

tec 29 was, imo, undervalued relative to 31. Not surprising to see tec 29 trent to 15-20k a point. Deserving in today's pre Robin environment. 

Tec 38 likely still a 8-10k a point type book till we get more sales supporting otherwise 

Edited by G.A.tor

10 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

As always , one sale does not a market (or trend ) make

+1

Truer words have never been spoken!  (thumbsu

tec 29 was, imo, undervalued relative to 31. Not surprising to see tec 29 trent to 15-20k a point. Deserving in today's pre Robin environment. 

An absolutely classic Batman cover in its own right and one that has undeservedly taken a back seat relative to the recent craze over the 'Tec 31 cover, which most collectors did not really think too much about only a couple short decades ago.

i would say sub 5.0 af15 are still 5-6k a point avg. always with exceptions (outliers) as we've seen...the 6-7.5 seem to be On the rise 8-10k+....with 8.0 and above exponential with no default

Tec 38 likely still a 8-10k a point type book till we get more sales supporting otherwise 

So, a perfect alignment of the stars for the consignors of 3 of the AF 15's and the consignor for the 'Tec 38 in this just completed CC auction. 

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

+1

Truer words have never been spoken!  (thumbsu

So, a perfect alignment of the stars for the consignors of 3 of the AF 15's and the consignor for the 'Tec 38 in this just completed CC auction. 

The 4.5 and 5.0 copies were clearly the "exception " imo

thats said, if folks use that data to move their copy(ies) to higher levels and folks actually pay, then we could see the market move

Not all AF 15 4.5's are created equal, I have a 4.5 that would be for sale in a minute if I thought I could get near that price. The 4.5 in the auction was an old label that presented extremely well, visually it looked several grades higher and I suspect it will be back after a little CPR.

1 hour ago, lpsunburst said:

Not all AF 15 4.5's are created equal, I have a 4.5 that would be for sale in a minute if I thought I could get near that price. The 4.5 in the auction was an old label that presented extremely well, visually it looked several grades higher and I suspect it will be back after a little CPR.

Of course. And that is why we have to treat outlier sales as just that...

G.A.tor,

Since you have been a vendor at SDCC many times.  Do you still walk the entire exhibit hall or just stay around the comic book section.  One of my long-time vendor buddies no longer walks the entire exhibit hall.  Unfortunately, there are many aisles of magic crystals, wigs, and absolute drek.

6 hours ago, lpsunburst said:

Of course you should also consider the possibility of interior defects which may not show up on the front & back cover scans, and as a result, the book may possibly not grade any higher upon a resubmission.  That is why the Grader's Notes would be critical in these types of situations.  (thumbsu

It is clear, however, that the marketplace is definitely rewarding books that have visual eye appeal, especially when they present noticeably better than their assigned grades.  hm

Edited by lou_fine