• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:48 AM, G.A.tor said:
On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:36 AM, Red84 said:

Rick, who you got as your final four and overall champion?

Smart money is duke, nc, Oregon, Arizona 

wouldnt shock me if duke won it from that group

I just filled out my bracket this morning and had the same Final 4 (just opened this thread). 

22 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Gator,

What the oddest thing you've ever found within the pages of a comic you've bought?  Money, secret love note, pirate treasure map, nudie polaroids, last Will and Testament…?

Oddest was what we believe was a rat tooth

Edited by G.A.tor

18 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Admittedly I have never seen an eerie ashcan sell. 

I will be at San Diego con like I have been every year since 1988 :banana:

and can probably be found somewhere between the Bunky brothers booth and bedrock city, but I am not setting up this year per se

Mid-grade copies of the Eerie ashcan first print are in the $500/$600 range.  Sold my 9.2 two years ago for $1,050.  A 9.4 should be around $1,500.  Not sure about the counterfeit...

38 minutes ago, BitterOldMan said:

G.A.tor,

Did you stay up and watch the Badgers-Gators sweet 16 game?  One of the best endings ever.

I did indeed. Had a 4am flight to Honduras this morning but don't miss a minute of gator basketball!

3 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

GAtor I was speaking about a book in JBs thread and wanted to ask you. Have you ever owned or sold a copy of the Ace classic Our Flag Comics #5? 

I haven't. 

Dear G.A.tor,

How open are dealers to partial trade towards a purchase of one of their books? Whether its a lower copy of the same book with someone wanting to upgrade so they offer it, or someone wanting to offer books towards  purchase of a book they couldn't afford otherwise?

Would a dealer accept it towards books like AF15 which they could get the full monetary price for without having the hassle of selling the recently acquired books? Does it also mean that the buyer loses the ability to negotiate on price since they aren't buying it fully with money?

Thanks.

Hello @G.A.tor, you have a lovely thread here. Very informative and entertaining.

Forgive me, but does your expertise extend to Silvery questions like why do price fonts vary on early Marvels :

Or maybe you might know someone who knows someone who knows?

4 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Hello @G.A.tor, you have a lovely thread here. Very informative and entertaining.

Forgive me, but does your expertise extend to Silvery questions like why do price fonts vary on early Marvels :

Or maybe you might know someone who knows someone who knows?

Maybe as simple as diff printing plates when one wore out

3 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Maybe as simple as diff printing plates when one wore out

Ah, a new theory - thanks G.A.tor!

2 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Or multiple printing facilities used ?

That's been put forward as a possible explanation, yes. We're looking for someone who worked in Sparta to see if they can shed any light. If you know anyone, spread the word if you can (thumbsu

Gator;

Have you ever owned or sold a copy of Ace Comics 11 with the first appearance of the Phantom and a book which came out quite a few months before Action 1?

If not, any idea if there is a demand for this book since it is basically strip reprints?  Or is the demand limited due to the simple fact that this book hardly ever shows up in the marketplace and you kind of need supply (i.e. copies to be available) in order to drive demand in this marketplace?  hm