• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

I think I saw your car, were you in Seattle this week?  

32765192796_f2a261f7ac_b.jpg

While I do have UF license plates On all all vehicles , I can unfortunately say I have not been in Seattle anytime recently 

Dear Gator. 

Do you still read the forums? 

When will you sell your Centaur collection?

Who was/is your best customer that you can name?

What was the highest you ever sold a comic for?

What was the highest you ever paid for a book?

What was the biggest loss on a book?

10 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

Dear Gator. 

:popcorn:

On 2/9/2017 at 0:41 PM, Knightsofold said:

How does Gator like the new boards?

And do you use em on a phone or a computer?

Tried both. Not fond of it , but hopefully some aesthetic improvements will help

9 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

Dear Gator. 

-Forum change has made it less appealing for the moment, but I still stop by daily 

-at some point we all sell. Documenting the centaur run here is first step. When? I don't know or have plans to , but if the mood strikes me, maybe one day 

-depends how you define "best" 

-sold the 6.5 action 1 via clink for $625,000 some 6+ years ago

-$575,000 for previously mentioned action 1

-lost $12,500 on a pedigree mmc a few years ago

Edited by G.A.tor

Dear Gator,

how does CGC view tape currently?  If you have a decent book with an almost completely split and detached cover, are you better off to apply archival tape or to leave it alone?  Does the tape make a Restored label?  Will it help the grade?

Thanks for your time.  (This CGC stuff gets confusing for us newbies...)

Allen

10 hours ago, Doc67 said:

Dear Gator,

how does CGC view tape currently?  If you have a decent book with an almost completely split and detached cover, are you better off to apply archival tape or to leave it alone?  Does the tape make a Restored label?  Will it help the grade?

Allen

Better to leave alone. Archival tape gets restored label and reg tape won't improve grade but turn off some folks

5 hours ago, G.A.tor said:
15 hours ago, Doc67 said:

Dear Gator,

Allen

Better to leave alone. Archival tape gets restored label and reg tape won't improve grade but turn off some folks

Has CGC always downgraded for the presence of regular tape on a book?  ???

I thought CGC changed how they handle the presence of tape on a book in order to discourage collectors from applying tape to the book hoping for a potential higher grade on the book.  (shrug)

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Has CGC always downgraded for the presence of regular tape on a book?  ???

I thought CGC changed how they handle the presence of tape on a book in order to discourage collectors from applying tape to the book hoping for a potential higher grade on the book.  (shrug)

Correct. Cgc won't give a better grade to a comic with the cover taped back on now. They will grade it as if the cover were detached , hence reason tape won't improve the grade (in the past a taped on cover did improve the grade)

3 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Correct. Cgc won't give a better grade to a comic with the cover taped back on now. They will grade it as if the cover were detached , hence reason tape won't improve the grade (in the past a taped on cover did improve the grade)

Why don't they treat Archival tape the same way?  Just grade it as if the tape weren't there.  Many comics present so much better with a little archival tape.

Dear Gator,

Why is it that there is not much blood shown on most of the WW2 timely covers. Sure there are covers like fight comics 31 and some others that do show blood, but for the most part there doesn't seem to be much. Is it for the "childrens sake", although the covers are still pretty graphic and brutal so that seems hypocritical.

Thanks,

Yaniv

16 hours ago, G.A.tor said:
On 2/26/2017 at 11:13 AM, Doc67 said:

Dear Gator,

Allen

In this link Matt Nelson talks about CGC's current position on tape. https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/02/15/cgc-insider-4-tape-comic-book-grading/

Have the opportunity to pickup a Tec 140. It's a Canadian edition about a vg. Looking at GPA the copies that have sold, although awhile ago, seem to have sold for less. Very small sample size though.  Would the Canadian edition sell for less in your opinion? What would be a fair price? Thanks for any insight! 

On 2/27/2017 at 1:02 PM, streyouttacomics said:

Dear Gator,

Why is it that there is not much blood shown on most of the WW2 timely covers. Sure there are covers like fight comics 31 and some others that do show blood, but for the most part there doesn't seem to be much. Is it for the "childrens sake", although the covers are still pretty graphic and brutal so that seems hypocritical.

Thanks,

Yaniv

Not sure that timely needed the blood. Schomburg and crew portrayed the era so nicely without it

15 minutes ago, Tbone911t said:

Have the opportunity to pickup a Tec 140. It's a Canadian edition about a vg. Looking at GPA the copies that have sold, although awhile ago, seem to have sold for less. Very small sample size though.  Would the Canadian edition sell for less in your opinion? What would be a fair price? Thanks for any insight! 

A nice us version would likely sell for 5000-5500+. Seems most Canadian Rec's sell at about 60% of their us counterparts from what I've seen