• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Sagii said:

Hi GAtor 

Do you know if there are any 'Champ' or 'Speed' comics (mostly Simon cover era) in the Jon Berk collection?

There are both in his collection

5 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Dear Gator,

Glad to see you're still wth us.  Watched Panther Girl of The Congo and coulda sworn you were taken out by Phyllis Coates in Chapter 8.  Then I realized it musta been a croc...!  :insane:

Hehe

13 minutes ago, ender said:

Dear Gator,

Going to Orlando on Family vacation in the summer.  If searching for GA or SA books, any comic shops worth the cab fare to and from to go and visit as I will not have a car?  Thanks!

I've not been to any in Orlando but I'm sure there are some shops that carry. Hit the yellow pages and hopefully your walking fingers will hit pay dirt!

:hi: GAtor!!

Here's one that i have been stewing over for quite some time and have been trying to dig up the answer and figured before I ask CGC I would ask the great board detectives and yourself as you like these obscure books and may have heard something over the years.

It portrays to my current obsession Fox Feature Syndicate books and CGCs labeling of them. I have noticed on many of the later issues they either site, "Charles Nicholas" who I thought was a pseudonymous/phony name created by the publisher so the writers couldn't stake claim to their characters or they list nothing at all when a book is clearly illustrated by a certain person. Any idea why CGC chose to go that route and list someone like Nicholas who to my knowledge is only a pen name instead of the actual artist who in certain instances actually signed many of the covers (i.e.  Patenaude)? I am seriously intrigued by this my friend so any leads to the answer would be appreciated. 

7 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

:hi: GAtor!!

Here's one that i have been stewing over for quite some time and have been trying to dig up the answer and figured before I ask CGC I would ask the great board detectives and yourself as you like these obscure books and may have heard something over the years.

It portrays to my current obsession Fox Feature Syndicate books and CGCs labeling of them. I have noticed on many of the later issues they either site, "Charles Nicholas" who I thought was a pseudonymous/phony name created by the publisher so the writers couldn't stake claim to their characters or they list nothing at all when a book is clearly illustrated by a certain person. Any idea why CGC chose to go that route and list someone like Nicholas who to my knowledge is only a pen name instead of the actual artist who in certain instances actually signed many of the covers (i.e.  Patenaude)? I am seriously intrigued by this my friend so any leads to the answer would be appreciated. 

House names were used by many early comic houses for reasons you stated

....that is how they were published and Likely why cgc notates as such

26 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

House names were used by many early comic houses for reasons you stated

....that is how they were published and Likely why cgc notates as such

Thanks Rick!! hope all is well brother!! Neat Funny Pages you are posting btw!! enjoying the show (thumbsu

Hi Gator,

Have a question. Someone offered me to buy a hulk 181 with Hugh Jackman signature :x. Question is . assuming is real. Should I send to CGC or CBCS to grade it? and Would they recognize the signature as real if I show them a photo of him signing or need to witness? thanks!

Hey Gator;

As we all know, the early appearances of both Batman and Superman in their own individual GA titles are relatively hot and ten to bring pretty strong prices in today's marketplace.  Yet, when we put both of these relatively hot characters together in a combined 100 page cardboard squarebound issue like World's Finest, all of a sudden they become deader than a doornail in terms of back issue demand and prices.

Is this because of the much later time period they came out , the silly comical covers on World's Finest, or whatever?  ???

25 minutes ago, Dreamtoreal1 said:

Hi Gator,

Have a question. Someone offered me to buy a hulk 181 with Hugh Jackman signature :x. Question is . assuming is real. Should I send to CGC or CBCS to grade it? and Would they recognize the signature as real if I show them a photo of him signing or need to witness? thanks!

See pm

As most know, CGC will not recognize the signature unless they witness it in person 

11 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Hey Gator;

As we all know, the early appearances of both Batman and Superman in their own individual GA titles are relatively hot and ten to bring pretty strong prices in today's marketplace.  Yet, when we put both of these relatively hot characters together in a combined 100 page cardboard squarebound issue like World's Finest, all of a sudden they become deader than a doornail in terms of back issue demand and prices.

Is this because of the much later time period they came out , the silly comical covers on World's Finest, or whatever?  ???

I love worlds finest. I believe it to be a combo of the covers and the stories (they don't team up until what, issue 71?)

I agree.   I like the "silly comical covers" of World's Finest and think the exceptional examples stand out much more than the unexceptional covers fighting generic bad guys.   I also like the 60s DC covers which are melodramatically comical and bizarrely obsessed with stories of friends betraying each other.  Yet I hear no extra value is placed on those.   Of course, I used to hear the same thing about WW2 Hitler covers, back when they were no more expensive than their contemporary counterparts with generic bad guy covers.   I don't expect silly comical covers ever to get the same heat as covers with the biggest real life super-villain, but it's clear they are underappreciated/undervalued.

Hi Gator. I asked in the Centaur thread , maybe you didn't see it. Detective Picture Stories # 5 , is this book commanding crazy money nowadays? Bruce Wayne prototype? I remember seeing one on Link and the seller was asking crazy money for one. I don't know if it ever sold though. There is a Funny Pages also like that . Bruce Wayne Prototype.  Thanks.

6 minutes ago, PUNYHUMAN said:

Hi Gator. I asked in the Centaur thread , maybe you didn't see it. Detective Picture Stories # 5 , is this book commanding crazy money nowadays? Bruce Wayne prototype? I remember seeing one on Link and the seller was asking crazy money for one. I don't know if it ever sold though. There is a Funny Pages also like that . Bruce Wayne Prototype.  Thanks.

It's cool, but so few copies have actually sold that we can't say it's commanding crazy prices as none I'm aware of have sold in forever

Dear Gator.

Your thoughts about the uptick on the Dynamic 8, is it coming into its own.The recent CL auction had it stated as one of the most

sought after books and it did get $1400 for a 1.5. I know you like that one too your thoughts are always appreciated as a dealer :blush:

Edited by comicjack