• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

I noticed that my football team, the Detroit Lions, picked up a couple of Gators for their defence. Good pickups?

7 hours ago, N e r V said:

So say 1,000.00 to 1,200.00 for a 4.0?

How difficult are these raw or CGC on a scale of 1 to 10?

Rarely seen for sale by me

1 hour ago, piper said:

I noticed that my football team, the Detroit Lions, picked up a couple of Gators for their defence. Good pickups?

Yes. Davis and tabor will upgrade the positions 

How do you value a book that is desired only for the interior, such as a Tec 28, 30 or 32, that is missing the back cover and a non-Bat story page?  (So it would be a .5 CGC'ed, but is now an incomplete copy.)  But it has a nice front cover and good PQ.  

Thanks for your time.  And expertise.

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

Hello Gator.  As your love for and understanding of Centaur's is well known.  In your estimation is this copy of Funny Pages trimmed?  Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/September-1939-Funny-Pages-Comic-Book-Vol-3-7-/142365931856?hash=item2125abb950:g:LaIAAOSwX61ZBARf

I put a tracking bid in. Didn't scream trimmed to me 

Ask Gator . . . 

What's your opinion of Ditko supernatural work with Charleton?

Doesn't seem to be any collector interest.

I've been revisiting his work with Ghostly Tales thru the 70's. He's dedication to his art maintained a high quality. 

ghostly84.thumb.jpg.ccad45fedac2ba3ee40a66030e995af5.jpgGhostly86.thumb.jpg.40b70efbff46f72b330e70550fe78693.jpg

Hey Rick;

Figure I would get some further clarification from you here, as opposed to the AF 15 thread where the original post had come from.  Especially since the example I am looking at for now is a GA book:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=676934

20 hours ago, G.A.tor said:
22 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Roy;

As you have said many times before, you cannot really grade a book simply from just a front and back cover scan.  I fully agree with your point that you need to have the actual book in hand in order to grade it properly.

So, how would potential bidders for a book be able to determine if a particular book is "upgradeable" or possibly have upgrade potential if they do not have not seen the actual book in question?  Is it simply nothing more than a best guess based upon what they are seeing on the covers or do they do it in combination with the Grader's Notes in order to hopefully provide them with more information?  hm

Graders notes will typically detail "pressable" defects 

Since the Grader's Notes on this particular Church copy of Wonder Woman is pretty much all about the color breaks on the spine and the stress lines on the spine, would this be an example of a book that should be upgradable?  Especially when for the life of me, I can't seem to see any spine cracks on the front cover, even when the scan is at max size.  ???

I would assume the spine breaks must be there and clearly visible if you are holding the book in your actual hands as opposed to just looking at a scan.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Hey Rick;

Figure I would get some further clarification from you here, as opposed to the AF 15 thread where the original post had come from.  Especially since the example I am looking at for now is a GA book:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=676934

22 hours ago, G.A.tor said:
On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 2:03 PM, lou_fine said:

Roy;

As you have said many times before, you cannot really grade a book simply from just a front and back cover scan.  I fully agree with your point that you need to have the actual book in hand in order to grade it properly.

So, how would potential bidders for a book be able to determine if a particular book is "upgradeable" or possibly have upgrade potential if they do not have not seen the actual book in question?  Is it simply nothing more than a best guess based upon what they are seeing on the covers or do they do it in combination with the Grader's Notes in order to hopefully provide them with more information?  hm

Since the Grader's Notes on this particular Church copy of Wonder Woman is pretty much all about the color breaks on the spine and the stress lines on the spine, would this be an example of a book that should be upgradable?  Especially when for the life of me, I can't seem to see any spine cracks on the front cover, even when the scan is at max size.  ???

I would assume the spine breaks must be there and clearly visible if you are holding the book in your actual hands as opposed to just looking at a scan.  hm

if you look at the back cover, you can see some of the spine breaks...I'm guessing this book has already been pressed based on the way the cover has shifted back

pressable defects are ones that "don't" break color... if the notes say "break color" you can NOT press that out

Edited by G.A.tor

29 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:
22 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

if you look at the back cover, you can see some of the spine breaks...I'm guessing this book has already been pressed based on the way the cover has shifted back

pressable defects are ones that "don't" break color... if the notes say "break color" you can NOT press that out

That's good to know!  (thumbsu

Not sure if the "misalignment" of the spine is an indication that this particular book has been pressed or not.  Especially since I have several GA books that seems to exhibits this same kind of back cover shifting.  And these are all relatively low dollar value books brought back in the early 90's when pressing was not the "must" thing to do when selling your books.  Definitely not financially viable to do it back in those days.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

6 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure if the "misalignment" of the spine is an indication that this particular book has been pressed or not.  Especially since I have several GA books that seems to exhibits this same kind of back cover shifting.  And these are all relatively low dollar value books brought back in the early 90's when pressing was not the "must" thing to do when selling your books.  Definitely not financially viable to do it back in those days.  hm

book was just graded last year...if I was a betting man, I would say it was pressed before it was certified...

14 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:
20 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

book was just graded last year...if I was a betting man, I would say it was pressed before it was certified...

If so, then I would assume this is just another example of an improperly done pressing job by the boys over at their sister company. 

Just now, lou_fine said:

If so, then I would assume this is just another example of an improperly done pressing job by the boys over at their sister company. 

actually, there was a time last year (and maybe it is still going) where they intentionally pressed the spine back to cover up spine wear/stress...

1 minute ago, Aasparky1000 said:

Rick, 

Up to which issue of action comics is considered an early superman cover? Thanks in advance 

I define early covers as 

I believe the market would say through about issue 25

Edited by G.A.tor

12 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:
13 minutes ago, Aasparky1000 said:

Rick, 

Up to which issue of action comics is considered an early superman cover? Thanks in advance 

I define early covers as 

+1

I would agree with this listing since Superman became a permanent fixture on the covers starting with Action 17 going forward.  (thumbsu

43 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:
49 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

If you were a betting man, college football would probably be more fun to bet on than defects in comics. :)

41 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:
43 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

actually, there was a time last year (and maybe it is still going) where they intentionally pressed the spine back to cover up spine wear/stress...

Took a closer look at the notes now.  doh!

Since it also mentions a crease on the left center of cover and spine stress lines (both with absolutely no mention of color breaks this time), does this mean that the pressing job was done so bad that it even failed to remove the non-color stresses?  Or is it possible that the press job (if there was one done?) being improperly done might have even added in the non-color stress lines and wear where there were none before hand, instead of actually covering it up?  hm

I guess it's quite obvious I don't really know too much about pressing defects.  :facepalm:

Edited by lou_fine

3 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Took a closer look at the notes now.  doh!

Since it also mentions a crease on the left center of cover and spine stress lines (both with absolutely no mention of color breaks this time), does this mean that the pressing job was done so bad that it even failed to remove the non-color stresses?  Or is it possible that the press job (if there was one done?) being improperly done might have even added in the non-color stress lines and wear where there were none before hand, instead of actually covering it up?  hm

I guess it's quite obvious I don't really know too much about pressing defects.  :facepalm:

Typically if it says "crease" without qualifier  it breaks color