• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC 2011, July 20-24, San Diego, CA

521 posts in this topic

May be time to revisit expanding SDCC from a 5 day event to 8 or 9 days. e.g. running Sunday to Sunday with dealer set up on the Sat. That way you could spread out the crowd at SDCC events, hotels, transportation links, parking, restaurants/pubs.

I'm really surprised that they haven't already done this. Seems so obvious.

How does one qualify for senior's discount pass for SDCC? Will a crotchety 50 year old get a ticket into :preach: the big show?

For the Beijing 2010 World Expo, ppl were faking pregnancy and rented wheelchairs so they could skip the 4 hour queues. (tsk)

Figured out how to try to get a SDCC Professional pass via Diamond Distributors. Ask your buddy who had a comic, toy or print sold via Diamond to set you up as his sidekick for a bonus Pro pass. Not as good as a dealer's pass but will get you in :wishluck: during normal hours for at least 4 days of Comic-con. Not sure if it works on Wednesday Preview.

I think Pro passes are only available if you are an artist, creator, publisher or printer who had a product released through Diamond catalog within the last 2 years. There must be a limit on these also else SDCC would :wishluck: be deluged with 1,000+ extra "professionals."

Theres a cut off number of guest pro passes that i`m sure are already used up.

Last year i had to re-qualify by sending in my IMDB page and by the time i was cleared all i could get was my ticket and not my guests.

Thanks to MythBusters i got my guests tickets through a connection i have with them, but i was really sweating for a minute.

Oh, and pro passes are for the wednesday show too, though i`ve never gone.

I still need two passes......

Last spring, 2010, SDCC released a bundle of 4 day passes in conjunction with booking Hotel Circle hotels that have comic-con buses for a reasonably low package price about 2 months before July. Seemed to be a greater quantity of passes than returned items. :blahblah: Watch for it.

Also, last year, SDCC released a number of 4 day and 1 day passes for face value on eBay. Subscribe to their Twitter feed to find out exactly when they will go on sale each day, and be at a computer when that happens. You will have to click on the auction link and process/pay for it immediately, but it can be done. I almost bought some extra passes for folks last year but they didn't need it so I didn't finish the process.

This situation really bothers me. I was already annoyed with the handling of preview night, where those tickets were all sold at last year's SDCC (so if you didn't attend the con you had no chance of attending). It seems the buying of tickets now is just as difficult as making a hotel reservation.

After going to the SDCC for about 10 years straight, I couldn't go last year because of a schedule conflict. I ended up going to Wizard World Chicago, and I had a better time than expected. Not too crowded, good selection of inexpensive comics (I'm a mid-grade silver collector), nice hotel with good restaurants and bar. For what I collect, the selection was just as good in Chicago as in San Diego, and the prices substantially better. I'd already been leaning towards Chicago again over San Diego (I only have time to go to one con in the summer), so this obviously seals my decision because I didn't even know about the selling of tickets this past weekend. I guess I'm getting too old to want to jump through that many hoops to give people my money.

Honestly, if you don't want to see San Diego and the rest of the show WW Chicago is terrific for comic collectors. All the hotels are close, the con is huge and a mid grade SA collector can get lost for days in there.

San Diego is a brilliant experience, but it's an extremely expensive and crowded and doesn't necessarily have any more of the better comics than any of the other larger shows. at least it doesn't anymore.

The reason ppl keep on coming back to SDCC every summer for years or decades in a row is the incredible array of programming. You can see panels by Ray Bradbury, artists/painters, sub-genres like garage model kits, Lionsgate movie promos, tv series previews, kung fu movie special effects, huge costume contest, etc. Nice breeze off the Pacific coast unlike the stifling heat of Chicago in August. :cool:

Have to admit the Chicago Art Institute is 10 times better than the San Diego Museum of Art at Balboa Park, as it has a tremendous selection of European master paintings. :banana:

Honestly, if you don't want to see San Diego and the rest of the show WW Chicago is terrific for comic collectors. All the hotels are close, the con is huge and a mid grade SA collector can get lost for days in there.

San Diego is a brilliant experience, but it's an extremely expensive and crowded and doesn't necessarily have any more of the better comics than any of the other larger shows. at least it doesn't anymore.

I completely agree. Last WW Chicago I was there Thur-Sat, and couldn't make it to all the tables. In the last hour of Sat (before I had to run to catch my flight) I found a great Silver dealer (First Aid comics or something like that); only wish I could have stayed longer, as I only had time to browse A-M.

Another possible way to get into SDCC is to ask your LCS for a favor. If you are a long time loyal subscriber, ask your LCS to allocate 1 of his 2 Diamond Retailer passes to you. They just have to email your contact info and your "position" with the LCS to Diamond. Your LCS may be willing to do this, as very few retailers or staff have time to visit SDCC the last 20 years so those Diamond passes are never used.

You can sit in on how to grow your store business, guerilla marketing seminars, etc. and get 5 day access. :gossip:

The reason ppl keep on coming back to SDCC every summer for years or decades in a row is the incredible array of programming. You can see panels by Ray Bradbury, artists/painters, sub-genres like garage model kits, Lionsgate movie promos, tv series previews, kung fu movie special effects, huge costume contest, etc. Nice breeze off the Pacific coast unlike the stifling heat of Chicago in August. :cool:

I agree

I went to other Cons that are great for comic buying but i`m done in a matter of hours and ready to go home.

SDCC is truly a four day event that keeps my attention with its diverse programing.

Also really like that now theres more things going on at night from the Taco Party outside in the gaslamp district with the cast of Machette to screenning Mega Pirahna with Tiffany in attendance.