• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC 2011, July 20-24, San Diego, CA

521 posts in this topic

Are there any tips for getting a hotel? Will the hotel registration through the SDCC website be just as bad as registration was?

I would just look hard until you find one. I believe I book mine last year through the SD people. I got lucky this year and took over someone else's room. From what I have seen, hotels are selling out much earlier this year than last year. My usual con experience is that Priceline usually undercuts all other prices when I bid low but I'm not sure how it works for San Diego.

Good luck!

Are there any tips for getting a hotel? Will the hotel registration through the SDCC website be just as bad as registration was?

Move to San Diego!!! That's what I did (yes I did). Just joking (for U to move there). A lot of hotels on Hotel Circle. A little drive away but good.

Move to San Diego!!! That's what I did (yes I did). Just joking (for U to move there). A lot of hotels on Hotel Circle. A little drive away but good.

We stayed on the other side of town in the W Hotel last year and it was a gorgeous 15-20 minute walk.

It's not a very big town.

SD is pretty walker friendly, but still, after walking around the convention center all day ..... did you really look forward to walking 15 - 20 to crash :baiting:

The SDCC convention rate hotel booking is convaluted for Wed. Mar 9/11. They want you to list your top 20 hotel picks, so you may actually be able to get 1 room with details emailed back to you in the next couple of days. Am I reading all those instructions right?

The SDCC convention rate hotel booking is convaluted for Wed. Mar 9/11. They want you to list your top 20 hotel picks, so you may actually be able to get 1 room with details emailed back to you in the next couple of days. Am I reading all those instructions right?

And this is of course assuming it doesn't crash.

And this is of course assuming it doesn't crash.

They are maintaining control that way :popcorn:

SD is pretty walker friendly, but still, after walking around the convention center all day ..... did you really look forward to walking 15 - 20 to crash :baiting:

Yeah, it does make for a tiring day.

I guess it's better than not having a hotel room at all though.

:baiting:

Only selected 4 or 5 hotels at around 11 AM PST - all of which I am a member of their rewards program.

Holiday Inn Bay

Holiday Inn Downtown

Doubltree Downtown

Marriot Gaslamp

+ one other I can't remember

I didn't want to run the risk of being in an unfamiliar place.

I just went back to the reservation page and they are no longer taking reservations for "Downtown" hotels. There's one hotel on Coronado + a bunch 5+ miles away.

Only selected 4 or 5 hotels at around 11 AM PST -

I just went back to the reservation page and they are no longer taking reservations for "Downtown" hotels. There's one hotel on Coronado + a bunch 5+ miles away.

I entered my hotel choices at 9:45 a.m. PST.

The online SDCC reservation system is now closed until next day at 9:00 a.m. PST for those Hotel Circle hotels.

I was afraid of trying to book any hotel in Gaslamp due to the non-stop partying in the street all week long. Can't sleep.

I was in and out by 9:03 A.M. PST, Hopefully that was quick enough to get a room near the convention. I selected only 5 hotel choices in the following order,

1) Marriott Marina (next door)

2) Hilton Gaslamp

3) Hard Rock Hotel

4) Hilton Bayfront

5) Marriott Gaslamp

:wishluck:

I got a confirmation email a couple of hours ago for my request, let's see how long it takes to get a room:

"Thank you for submitting your Hotel Reservations Request form. We've received your form and are processing it in the order it was received. Please save this email and print a hard copy for your records as well."

I was afraid of trying to book any hotel in Gaslamp due to the non-stop partying in the street all week long. Can't sleep.

:o

:fear: