• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC 2011, July 20-24, San Diego, CA

521 posts in this topic

Reservations are up for Mission Valley/Shelter Island Hotels. Just booked the Hilton for $180 a night. 1 Night Deposit required.

Get in there if you still need a room.

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci_hotel_list.php

Click on the black "CLICK HERE TO MAKE YOUR RESERVATIONS ONLINE NOW WITH TRAVEL PLANNERS" button on the top of the page.

Some of the Hotel Circle Mission Valley rates went up $10/night (Handlery) but not sure if this was an upgrade fee for 2 beds instead of 1:

https://www.tphousing.com/r/startres.asp?EICode=2086&AttCode=72

It is not that clear which of the 3 newly listed Best Western hotels actually have a shuttle bus to Comic-con. SDCC site states that Dana Hotel for sure does not have this "free" bus so you may need to rely on red trolley, bus, rental car or cab.

I'd go with the trolley. If you get Town and Country, there's a trolley stop right there that'll take you to the convention center. Other hotels in Hotel Circle are a 5-15 minute walk from that trolley stop. Downtown parking is a DISASTER during Con (take it from a local who's tried year after year) and for the bus, expect to change buses at least once.

Of course, if you rent a car, you can try for pre-paid parking underneath the convention center, if they repeat that choice this year. Keep watching the CCI site, I know I am. :)

I'd go with the trolley. If you get Town and Country, there's a trolley stop right there that'll take you to the convention center. Other hotels in Hotel Circle are a 5-15 minute walk from that trolley stop. Downtown parking is a DISASTER during Con (take it from a local who's tried year after year) and for the bus, expect to change buses at least once.

Of course, if you rent a car, you can try for pre-paid parking underneath the convention center, if they repeat that choice this year. Keep watching the CCI site, I know I am. :)

I can't imagine driving with 100,000 people unleashed on the street. I know when I take a cab sometimes it takes 15 minutes just to get off the main road that the con is on.

Walking is much faster than driving at that point.

Traffic actually isn't that bad if you arrive at 8, find parking, then walk into the gaslamp for a good breakfast.

Looking forward to doing exactly that at Richard Walker's Pancake House. :cloud9:

I'd go with the trolley. If you get Town and Country, there's a trolley stop right there that'll take you to the convention center. Other hotels in Hotel Circle are a 5-15 minute walk from that trolley stop. :)

Is the red trolley stop totally different from the raised platform for the light rail line from north of the Town and Country? I took the light rail last July/10 and did not realize I was that close to a red trolley station. I imagine Hotel Circle area SDCC badge pick up will be at Town and Country again. There was a big line up there on the Wed. preview day around 3:00 pm last summer compared to a short line up at SDCC convention site itself due to more staff/volunteers downtown.

Does anyone know if there is a red trolley stop closer to Handlery hotel?

The trolley is the light rail. From the Handlery, you have to walk down to Town and Country. When I went to Town and Country last year around 3 pm, the line moved extremely quickly. I thought Downtown would have been worse, I guess I was wrong.

The trolley is the light rail. From the Handlery, you have to walk down to Town and Country.

Thanks for clarifying. In July/10, I took the blue light rail and had to transfer to the green route (or something like that) to get back to Town and Country from Little Italy (great restaurant for the SA DC war dinner :golfclap: ) after 10:00 pm so was not sure if the route was different from red trolley.

Thanks for clarifying. In July/10, I took the blue light rail and had to transfer to the green route (or something like that) to get back to Town and Country from Little Italy (great restaurant for the SA DC war dinner :golfclap: ) after 10:00 pm so was not sure if the route was different from red trolley.

The red line is a special event line (normally to take people from downtown to the football stadium) that runs from the football stadium, through Mission Valley, specifically to go to the convention center for Comic Con. Otherwise, as you found out, you have to take one line from Little Italy (or downtown) to Old Town, then transfer to keep going to Mission Valley. (unless you got the Red Line going all the way back)

When I don't have comics to haul, or guaranteed parking, I pack myself like a sardine on the trolley and arrive in style. Mind you, it's normally cramped, but still, in style. :)

Joel