• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk 181 in 9.4 goes for $800??

184 posts in this topic

http://cgi.ebay.com/Incredible-Hulk-181-1974-CGC-NM-9-4-X-men-94-COMIC-LOT-/280574670982?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41538db886

To top it off, the guy threw in a X-Men 94 for good measure!!! Guy must have really needed his car fixed fast! Somebody just made a quick $2,000 profit..board member??? :gossip:

very unusual if it is a scam.

he's got a lot of listings currently going on, which don't yell scam at all.

it might just have been that the book was worth $800 to him, regardless of any notional value, and just needed the money quickly.

very strange indeed.

If you look at his completed listings, he has sold 7 "Hot Wheels JC Penny 1995 95 Treasure Hunt Complete" sets for $800 each.

In each of those descriptions, he tells how his wife was a manager at "JcPenny" in New Jersey in 1995. "JcPenny" received 10 sets, he bought 4 of them, and now he is selling 2 of the 4.

Maybe his 4 sets had babies? (shrug)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Incredible-Hulk-181-1974-CGC-NM-9-4-X-men-94-COMIC-LOT-/280574670982?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41538db886

To top it off, the guy threw in a X-Men 94 for good measure!!! Guy must have really needed his car fixed fast! Somebody just made a quick $2,000 profit..board member??? :gossip:

I am considering clipping this to use as a wordless answer for whenever somebody sends an email about a rare valuable book and asks "why don't you list it without reserve and let the market determine its value?"

I could be wrong but something doesn't add up to me. The Pictures for the Hulk 181 & X-men 94 don't match (weren't taken the same way.) And this exact copy apparently sold for $3100 last year. How many times could this book have traded hands in the last year? If he were the actual owner how could he not know the value? Its not like this is a freshly CGCed copy thats never been sold before.

Plus if you read the description (pages are Off-white not quite cream?) it doesn't sound like he knows anything about comics or CGC. Throw in the username and some of the language used in the rest of the listing and this listing gives me a funny feeling.

I could be wrong (and hopefully am since the winner was a board member who'd be getting a hell of a deal if legit!) but I'd bet $800 that the auction is in some way a scam.

I could be wrong but something doesn't add up to me. The Pictures for the Hulk 181 & X-men 94 don't match (weren't taken the same way.) And this exact copy apparently sold for $3100 last year. How many times could this book have traded hands in the last year? If he were the actual owner how could he not know the value? Its not like this is a freshly CGCed copy thats never been sold before.

Plus if you read the description (pages are Off-white not quite cream?) it doesn't sound like he knows anything about comics or CGC. Throw in the username and some of the language used in the rest of the listing and this listing gives me a funny feeling.

I could be wrong (and hopefully am since the winner was a board member who'd be getting a hell of a deal if legit!) but I'd bet $800 that the auction is in some way a scam.

I guess we will see how this Ebay buyer protection works now. That`s all Ebay does is brag about thier buyer protecton, I guess we will see. please keep me posted and good luck to the board member, if this goes thru, they got a great deal! :wishluck: