• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk 181 in 9.4 goes for $800??

184 posts in this topic

same book sold in August 2009 for $3100. was he the buyer? if no, scam. if yes, maroon.

CGC 0912641001

Sunday Internet Comics Auction #110023

Auction Ended On: Feb 21, 2010

Sold for: $2,613.47

a BA book with cream pages sells for that much? doh!

actually a BA book with "off white not quite cream" pages :baiting:

same book sold in August 2009 for $3100. was he the buyer? if no, scam. if yes, maroon.

CGC 0912641001

Sunday Internet Comics Auction #110023

Auction Ended On: Feb 21, 2010

Sold for: $2,613.47

a BA book with cream pages sells for that much? doh!

Apparently. (shrug)

The link is where the eBay auction photo came from. it's a Heritage scan.

It's the first Google-Images that pops if you search "hulk 181 cgc 9.4".

Smells like probable scam.

I could be wrong but something doesn't add up to me. The Pictures for the Hulk 181 & X-men 94 don't match (weren't taken the same way.) And this exact copy apparently sold for $3100 last year. How many times could this book have traded hands in the last year? If he were the actual owner how could he not know the value? Its not like this is a freshly CGCed copy thats never been sold before.

Plus if you read the description (pages are Off-white not quite cream?) it doesn't sound like he knows anything about comics or CGC. Throw in the username and some of the language used in the rest of the listing and this listing gives me a funny feeling.

I could be wrong (and hopefully am since the winner was a board member who'd be getting a hell of a deal if legit!) but I'd bet $800 that the auction is in some way a scam.

Whether it's a scam or he's taking a loss, clearly nobody bid an amoiunt that people are saying is the real value. So it's possible the guy just thought the market would serve him and somebody would bid it up to its real value. You don't have to go far to find a lot of guys who say books should never be listed with reserves or high minimum bids because a book is only worth what somenbody is willing to pay that day. I know I got screaming nasty cursing emails saying that same thing from the guy who called himself royig or whatever. Of course the way he behaved was so antagonizing he makes you feel you'd rather give a book away than sell it to him. But lots of guys out there repeat that mantra as often as possible. Perhaps the seller fell for it and paid the price.

While not even in the same ZIP Code, I once bought a $60 BIN for a CGC 9.6 Wolverine Mini set from a guy who "needed the money" and when I asked him way he priced them so low, he said he listed the books individually at a bit higher and got no bites.

This is a bit different case and is probably a scam, but there are people out there who just need a quick buck.

The guy might really need his car fixed quick, you know to get back and forth to work or college, so we will see. hm I am kinda upset that I missed out on the Hotwheels set he sold for $800. doh!

How does he sell 7 sets of hot wheels when he only owns 4 sets?

Scam.

Scam.

That could easily have been someone not initially knowing how to work the "payment due upon purchase" of BIN and telling the buyers

Besides if that was the case why would he not have done 7 hulk 181's?

Not saying it's not a scam but ....

hold the phone, he just added two mtg black lotus cards ....

hm

Scam.

That could easily have been someone not initially knowing how to work the "payment due upon purchase" of BIN and telling the buyers

Besides if that was the case why would he not have done 7 hulk 181's?

Not saying it's not a scam but ....

hold the phone, he just added two mtg black lotus cards ....

hm

7 CGC Hulk 181s would require 7 different pictures since the numbers are unique.

For HW, the same photo can be used over and over again.

lol 2 unlimited black lotus.

Both are already sold.

That is because they are $1000+ cards.Good thing we have all the buyer protection we have these days.

yeah those are the holy grails of Magic the Gathering and he could easily have doubled his money on them even if he did a three day auction.