• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk 181 in 9.4 goes for $800??

184 posts in this topic

It could be a hijacked account?

It's funny that when people scam like this and then someone finally shows up at their door they all of a sudden push out a puddle of mud. If I was ripped off a grand I would be pissed enough to drive from PA to CA just to drag the guy down a few flights of stairs by his ankles. Someone eventually will knock on his door. Especially when this person goes to report it to the police and they could care less.

It's funny that when people scam like this and then someone finally shows up at their door they all of a sudden push out a puddle of mud. If I was ripped off a grand I would be pissed enough to drive from PA to CA just to drag the guy down a few flights of stairs by his ankles. Someone eventually will knock on his door. Especially when this person goes to report it to the police and they could care less.

which begs the question, adult diapers or no adult diapers, to get there faster to do it? hm

which begs the question, adult diapers or no adult diapers, to get there faster to do it? hm

With proper training one can just roll down the window while doing 80 !

With proper training one can just roll down the window while doing 80 !

lol

The Hulk 181 guy left feedback:

CON ARTIST AND RIPPED ME OFF FOR $800 DO NOT BUY ISSUED FAKE TRACKING NUMBER

I guess scamming is a good business?

Actually that feedback is for a "hotwheels" set..the 181 buyer has not left feedback yet.Just so you know

As long as he hasn't been NARU'd and continues to stay on ebay, the better the chance for vigilant buyers to get their money back via PP. I was in a situation similar to this when I won an item from a seller, and after a week noticed that other buyers had left feedback mentioning non-reception of goods. I quickly escalated a claim via PP and got my money back the next day. PP are half-decent when it comes to non-reception of items...

What happens if the scammer sends you a delivery that you have to sign for and then you find a new off the shelf comic when you bought an XMEN-94 in 9.6 in it? He has the tracking number and you signing for it. That would open a new can of worms for the buyer.

With more expensive pruchases if possible open the box in front of a witness like the postal employee behind the counter or better yet the post master..then you have a reliable witness to what was in the box as you opened it.

Basically you would be screwed and have to go to court to get anything back. I have seen cases on court TV shows where a buyer bought a slabbed CGC 181 and recieved a beater copy unslabbed. When the buyer produced proof that the seller was not really the owner of the CGC book and it was in the hands of the original owner. Judge Judy gave the guy his $$ back AND let him keep the beater copy.

I have seen other cases where the buyer has purchased a valuable item and gotten a picture of the item..somewhere in the fine print of the auction they said note you will not be receiving an actual comic you are bidding on this reproduced picture of the book which you can do with what you wish..

The judge didn't buy that either..

My husband..*sighs* bought this deal once. He was convinced that the seller was an older gentlemen selling his childhood comics..from the guys ID which was related to low riders and his voice (my husband called and chatted with the guy about his marvelous goldne age comics) I thought it sounded like a younger kid and that things didn't add up. My husband paid $900 and never got anything but excuses until we filed a postal fraud claim with the USPS (you can do that too the post office doesn't mess around) The guy got scared and actually called the post office (we are tight with the postmaster and she called us to tell us all about the call) he wanted to know if we had really filed a claim and what would happen etc..

So end the end he sends us a box..of garbage trash with maybe 20 modern comics and a nasty note attached to an Xfiles #1 that said "This is a $500 book you are happy now I hope this is $3000 worth of comic books" the books were all and not increased in value being enclosed in a box with crumpled up trash..

the problem was we signed for the box..and had no proof what we recieved..from that point on we made a point to only open our more expensive purchases right in front of the post master so we had a witness.

We lost out completely..

Months later when I bought a vintage doll collection and received a box of paperback books..my having a postmaster as a witness to the boxes contents went a long way and I got the money refunded..

The buyer was hopping mad and ranting they did send me the items I bid on but the proof was having a witness in authority position who saw me open the box and find a bunch of junk paperbacks instead of valuable dolls.

I feel sorry for the people who didn't see it coming but honestly if something sounds too good to be true..it is very likely it is not true!!

My husband buys a comic lot about once a year that turns out like that..

I have learned to expect it..and he has learned to expect me to go "Told you so"

We lost out completely..

Months later when I bought a vintage doll collection and received a box of paperback books..my having a postmaster as a witness to the boxes contents went a long way and I got the money refunded..

The buyer was hopping mad and ranting they did send me the items I bid on but the proof was having a witness in authority position who saw me open the box and find a bunch of junk paperbacks instead of valuable dolls.

I feel sorry for the people who didn't see it coming but honestly if something sounds too good to be true..it is very likely it is not true!!

I have learned to expect it..and he has learned to expect me to go "Told you so"

I would think that setting up a camcorder and opening packages while being recorded would be proof too. I would zoom on the package being intact, on the label and then open it. If you do this with all of your incoming packages and the idea of recording it for the purpose of scamming the seller would show that this is a normal practice to avoid problems. I would pack art when selling it in front of a video camera just in case the buyer made a claim. One buyer made a complaint that he never received it. I looked at the tracking and it was left by his door while I stated adult signature required. I had the "UPS Dance" of we're not paying with a list of reasons. Once they received the summons from small claims with nearly double the insurance claim they paid. When there are issues sue first and sort it out later.

When suing someone, conversations usually go like this: We would like to settle this. You made a claim for $5000 (insert blaa blaa here) and we are offering $500. I tell them $5000 or see me in court where they can pay $350 an hour to their attorney to show in my local court and still pay me 5k. This is when you get that they have attorneys on retainer so they are not afraid of court. I agree that I understand retainers and when I was going through my divorce I had an attorney on a retainer too, but he still sent hourly bills. Then they'll ask you for your attorney which you should never give for small claims. They try intimidation by inserting uncomfortable moments of silence hoping you fill it with anything. Have a book handy and when they do this just read a page. I thrive on this! No matter what: a salary or hourly attorney will cost a company at least $1000, plus they can lose. They know this.

When suing a person they usually don't show or show up to court unprepared.

Don't be afraid of court!!! The only problems with small claims is you need to file in the persons local court. I hit this last month. Usually they would just take it. It's funny how someone from Connecticut can file against me, but I can even file against an airline that's two towns over.

Back to the subject: If you're getting ripped off or scammed file complaints everywhere and sue them! If it's off Ebay include Ebay, Paypal, unknown John Jane Does, and everyone you can think of. Ebay TOS doesn't indemnify them from suits. They still need to show up or they lose. In a case like the 4 comic scammers Ebay was notified by me in writing. That throws their TOS out because they were negligent in properly investigating it.

Scammers will usually not use USPS unless they are total . UPS and FedEx are not Federal. I wouldn't use FedEx anyway for anything anyway.

The Hulk 181 guy left feedback:

CON ARTIST AND RIPPED ME OFF FOR $800 DO NOT BUY ISSUED FAKE TRACKING NUMBER

I guess scamming is a good business?

Actually that feedback is for a "hotwheels" set..the 181 buyer has not left feedback yet.Just so you know

As long as he hasn't been NARU'd and continues to stay on ebay, the better the chance for vigilant buyers to get their money back via PP. I was in a situation similar to this when I won an item from a seller, and after a week noticed that other buyers had left feedback mentioning non-reception of goods. I quickly escalated a claim via PP and got my money back the next day. PP are half-decent when it comes to non-reception of items...

What happens if the scammer sends you a delivery that you have to sign for and then you find a new off the shelf comic when you bought an XMEN-94 in 9.6 in it? He has the tracking number and you signing for it. That would open a new can of worms for the buyer.

With more expensive pruchases if possible open the box in front of a witness like the postal employee behind the counter or better yet the post master..then you have a reliable witness to what was in the box as you opened it.

Basically you would be screwed and have to go to court to get anything back. I have seen cases on court TV shows where a buyer bought a slabbed CGC 181 and recieved a beater copy unslabbed. When the buyer produced proof that the seller was not really the owner of the CGC book and it was in the hands of the original owner. Judge Judy gave the guy his $$ back AND let him keep the beater copy.

I have seen other cases where the buyer has purchased a valuable item and gotten a picture of the item..somewhere in the fine print of the auction they said note you will not be receiving an actual comic you are bidding on this reproduced picture of the book which you can do with what you wish..

The judge didn't buy that either..

My husband..*sighs* bought this deal once. He was convinced that the seller was an older gentlemen selling his childhood comics..from the guys ID which was related to low riders and his voice (my husband called and chatted with the guy about his marvelous goldne age comics) I thought it sounded like a younger kid and that things didn't add up. My husband paid $900 and never got anything but excuses until we filed a postal fraud claim with the USPS (you can do that too the post office doesn't mess around) The guy got scared and actually called the post office (we are tight with the postmaster and she called us to tell us all about the call) he wanted to know if we had really filed a claim and what would happen etc..

So end the end he sends us a box..of garbage trash with maybe 20 modern comics and a nasty note attached to an Xfiles #1 that said "This is a $500 book you are happy now I hope this is $3000 worth of comic books" the books were all and not increased in value being enclosed in a box with crumpled up trash..

the problem was we signed for the box..and had no proof what we recieved..from that point on we made a point to only open our more expensive purchases right in front of the post master so we had a witness.

We lost out completely..

if I don't know the seller and I have any reason to question the contents, I always open in front of my postmaster... he gets a kick out of some of the items I get (and the prices paid!)

yeesh. look at home much money this seller stole from bogus auctions. :eek::sick:

completed listings

Yep.

He netted $14,722.99 for the big stuff. (tsk)

Similar situation happened on Yahoo Auctions about 5 to 6 years ago. Guy from Warwick, Rhode Island put up a bunch of stuff (comics, rare baseball cards, etc.) and had great feedback up to that point. So you would think he was legit right? WRONG! He ripped off about 10 different people (I was one of them - ASM #1 CGC 5.0 for $938.00) to the tune of about $15,000. Other people were ripped off worse than me but I got pissed and vowed to get him. So I started the effort to catch this guy (from Illinois). I contacted the other buyers, the postal service, the Illinois Attorney General's office and a bunch of other places. But the best move was contacting the Warwick, RI police department and talking to one of the detectives there. Ends up the guy had done something like this before (imagine that).

To make a long story shorter, they caught the guy and he ended up with 10 years probation and ordered to pay restitution. I've received about 1/2 of my money back and the payment frequency has been very inconsistent at best. But at least I got something done about it instead of just letting it go. I got a lot of satisfaction just seeing that the SOB didn't get away with it.