• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the rarest comic in your collection?

571 posts in this topic

My rarest mainstream book would probably be one of these:

I don't think I own anything I'd call rare but if I could, it would be books like these! :cloud9:

Except that everything that you own is rare in the condition in which you own it. (worship)

It would make me feel even better if I could buy one of these from you. :angel:

106453.jpg

Hoarder :baiting:
it doesn't count as hoarding if nobody else wants it!

I want it!! :takeit:

I've only come across two copies in the last few years. Cool book. (thumbs u

There is a nice copy that was in the More Fun Collection floating around out there somewhere

I'm in the odd position of owning two of these.

Maybe they're not that rare. :insane:

PepComics22DiamondRun.jpg

This is a book I wish I still owned. Hopefully again, one day.

9c914b2e.jpg

Some great rarities posted here. Many thanks to all those sharing their hard-to-find comics! Bo Hogg - please show more of your rare stuff!

Here's an uncommon "comic book."

In 1935, the Hecht Company, a department store in Washington, D.C., ran a contest called "Know America."

Young readers had to get a scrapbook/cover/binder from a contest booth at the store itself. Then, to make a complete "Story Of Our Country," they had to cut out the comic story panels printed in the Washington Post newspaper for 78 consecutive weekdays.

To enter the contest, young readers had to paste all panels into the scrapbook and color them. Then, within three days of the final drawing being published, they had to turn in the completed scrapbook to the store. They really made it tough on the poor kids!

The contest rules make no mention of returning the books, so after doing all that work, kids turned them in and presumably never saw them again.

This completed scrapbook contains all the story pages, all colored in a very basic style.

Wonder how this one survived. Did some poor parent, after watching their kid paste and color all 78 story pages, fail to turn it in within 3 days?

Here is the front and back cover, a sample interior page, and a close-up of the rules.

This may not be glamorous, although the facts of American history are presented well, but it was assembled with care by some kid in the 1930s. I've never seen another one.

106486.jpg.ff52589b915435cd0fdb0e130dae4222.jpg

106487.jpg.3fe7dfbefb36ff76397752aa6734435d.jpg

106488.jpg.e7f752c1999170b9345d956edd6746d7.jpg

106489.jpg.57c6d0147a467455ad2954ab54238341.jpg

Personally, I don't think Rangers #2 is the rarest. My dad had three copies many years ago and sold them to various collectors. He also had four copies of Planet Comics #15.

He had one of the finest Fiction House runs in the world before selling the whole thing in the early 90s.

He says without question the two hardest FH books to obtain are Jumbo 9 and Jumbo 31. He even had FN+ to VF+ copies of Jumbo 1-8

I aspire to own an Adventure #24, though. Fave Flessel cover ever!

Can... I... resist...?

No, I cannot.

NA24Church-1.jpg

The colors on that book are obscene! :o

Yeah but, he had to eat macaroni and cheese for a week! :kidaround:

Seriously, nice book Steve! :applause:

Personally, I don't think Rangers #2 is the rarest. My dad had three copies many years ago and sold them to various collectors. He also had four copies of Planet Comics #15.

He had one of the finest Fiction House runs in the world before selling the whole thing in the early 90s.

He says without question the two hardest FH books to obtain are Jumbo 9 and Jumbo 31. He even had FN+ to VF+ copies of Jumbo 1-8

Having owned all of the FH books, it's hard to say any of them are rare. I've seen multiple copies of the ones I used to consider rare

How about this one? I've only come across 1 or 2 other copies. Anyone else have a copy or have a sense or rarity?

I don't think it's rare, it's just not the sort of thing that has been sought out by comic collectors through the years. After seeing your copy (or someone else's on the boards) I found a copy relatively quickly.