• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'LL TAKE IT!!!

216 posts in this topic

I have sold many books via PM at full price, to those that just don't want others to know what books they have bought...

only one time have I had a PM full price take it and an in thread full price take it, and I simply went with whom had said take it first (which in this case, was in the thread)...

I have sold many books via PM at full price, to those that just don't want others to know what books they have bought...

Agreed, and I used to do that regularly, but I also prefaced it with a "if there is any conflict, just just sell it to the :takeit: posted in thread" (or similar) disclaimer.

Agreed, and I used to do that regularly, but I also prefaced it with a "if there is any conflict, just just sell it to the :takeit: posted in thread" (or similar) disclaimer.

I usually put in my sales thread the disclaimer you mention (first in either, based on time stamp)... seems to work just fine (thumbs u

I usually put in my sales thread the disclaimer you mention (first in either, based on time stamp)... seems to work just fine (thumbs u
:takeit:

Again, that is the key. Managing the thread well.

What sales threads were these?

Relentless.

Mostly Nik's, since they moved so incredibly fast, but also a few others, maybe ft88's or GA's.

Mostly Nik's, since they moved so incredibly fast, but also a few others, maybe ft88's or GA's.

Oh, you were speaking as a buyer and not a seller. I understand now.

I am not understanding the what the big deal is here. :ohnoez:

The first I :takeit: or commitment in writing indicating the sale is the ^^ .

Whether it be the first :takeit: in the thread, Via PM, phone call, letter in the mail, or a trade for your wife or g/f the books should be first come first serve.

It's the honestly of the seller to make sure the right person who came first receives the book(s).

For example (both on the same day):

ASM 50 CGC 9.4 $3500 is for sale.

1. Boardie #1: :takeit: it in the thread at 8:00 pm.

2. Boardie #2: Commits to the book in a PM thread at 7:59 pm.

I don't get to check back onto my thread till 8:30 pm.

Boardie #2 is the ^^

I would send a PM to #1 informing him/her sorry but someone beat them in the sale of the book via PM.

SOT

But the point is SoT, that the seller has the right to set up his threads any way he chooses, and some state a " :takeit: in-thread take precedence over PMs" (or similar) which is still a valid way of running a thread.

The danger, as you have outlined, is mistakenly believing there is only a single way to manage a sales thread.

But the point is SoT, that the seller has the right to set up his threads any way he chooses, and some state a " :takeit: in-thread take precedence over PMs" (or similar) which is still a valid way of running a thread.

The danger, as you have outlined, is mistakenly believing there is only a single way to manage a sales thread.

That's the way I have run mine, and I have never had a problem.

Some people for whatever reason want to remain anonymous which is fine.

I don't care how it happens as long as the person who indicates a firm commitment to buying the book tells me first they get the book. Pretty simple.

I remember one time I sold a book via PM for a $100.00 less as opposed when I went back to check the thread another boardie took the book for full asking price.

Sucked for me, but the PM sale was first (time wise) and that was that. (shrug)

Every seller has the right to set their own rules, but I'm curious about the sellers who feel the sale must be public to be considered valid. Why is a later "I'll take it!" in a sales thread more valid than an earlier "I'll take it!" in a PM?

Because those are the rules a particular seller set in his sales thread.

If someone wants to pay full price they get first dibs, as I am sure people aren't PM'ing to offer *more* money :insane: and until a book is officially :takeit: in the main thread, it should be expected to be available.

And if a seller wants to do the opposite and risk getting less and ticking off in-thread full-price buyers, then he or she can set the sales thread rules like that.

:applause: good answer Joe

I am not understanding the what the big deal is here. :ohnoez:

The first I :takeit: or commitment in writing indicating the sale is the ^^ .

Whether it be the first :takeit: in the thread, Via PM, phone call, letter in the mail, or a trade for your wife or g/f the books should be first come first serve.

It's the honestly of the seller to make sure the right person who came first receives the book(s).

For example (both on the same day):

ASM 50 CGC 9.4 $3500 is for sale.

1. Boardie #1: :takeit: it in the thread at 8:00 pm.

2. Boardie #2: Commits to the book in a PM thread at 7:59 pm.

I don't get to check back onto my thread till 8:30 pm.

Boardie #2 is the ^^

I would send a PM to #1 informing him/her sorry but someone beat them in the sale of the book via PM.

SOT

This the sort of thread that I'd want to buy from.

I don't usually do much negotiation on price -- usually because I've asked a lot of questions about the book in a PM and I believe in recognizing customer service.

But I would be unhappy to lose a book because my deal was consummated in a PM rather than on the thread. Insisting on the first :takeit: in the thread seems to be selling the book to whomever is yelling the loudest. Too much drama.

I really don't understand the "secret buyer" thing. But whatever floats your boat.

I do understand the debate about which takes precedence. The in thread :takeit: or the PM :takeit:

The way it has always worked for me is that when I PM someone, it is always to make a lower offer than the asking price, or asking for a hold until funds become available (ie: expecting a check in the next day or so).

But when I have done the PM route, the seller who agrees to sell me the book tells me to immediately post in the thread, the :takeit: to make it official.

So, if that is what makes it official, then that should take preference. As the initiator of a PM, I UNDERSTAND that I am taking the chance that someone will buy the book/s before I can secure a deal.

If you are working via PM to secure a different deal than the original thread offering, then you take the chance of being undercut by someone who does not ask for a different deal.

You snooze, you loose, should be the model. It has happened to me several times.

But then again. It's your book (if you are the seller), so do as you want and suffer the reputation associated with doing that.

Most of the time here, guys will "step aside" and do act like gentlemen and give a book to a person that seems to want it more, or as much. I have seen it many times. Even when the person stepping aside is the obvious first person to post the :takeit: Some people are gentlemen and some are not.

Bottom line is that money talks the loudest to some sellers and to some sellers, reputation and fairness (ie: their word and honor) superceeds monetary gain. Friendship and "click" does certainly play a part in some dealings that have conflict like this and that is human nature I guess.

Who is whom can be sorted out over time.

If I lose, I am okay with it. Because there are very very few books that come along here that can not be replaced. Heck. Most of what is bought and sold here is routinely circulated. Some are not for sure. But most is. Just looked at the selling threads where every book is listed as "bought from so and so last year".

But all in all, the first :takeit: in the THREAD should win. If I were king. :)