• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2010 Collecting Goals- How'd you do?

70 posts in this topic

As the year is winding down, i thought i'd review how much progress i made on my 2010 collecting goal and ask others how they did.

My goal was to whittle down the 250 or so Silver DC in 9.2+ on my want list. i purchased/upgraded 68 slabs. I may have missed a couple purchased at cons.

Breakdown by venue:

Clink 26

Ebay 10

CGC Message Boards 9

Heritage 9

Metro/CC 6

Pedigree 6

Quality Comix 2

I haven't bought much since the end of September and I am done for the rest of the year and likely thru next February until after the move into the new house. I am a net seller this year and I am likely will be a net seller next year also. The older I get, the less I see a reason to have thousands of books around me.

This year was very busy for me.. I did a complete overhaul... from 65 long boxes of raws, now down to like 15 short boxes of CGC and one short box of raws. Changed my focus entirely from collecting duplicates to going after runs.

Although I miss having all the raws to read and someday I may replace them. My closets and my aching back thank me.

Ive done pretty good. I used to buy alot of books throughout the year (mostly ASM run), but now ive focused on bigger books and ive only bought about 3-4 but im def happy with what if accomplished. A year or two ago id never thought id own the books i do now, and 2 big books i wanted this year i finally got (AF15, Tec 29) :cloud9:

No progress on my "Modern" comics set, still need 3-4. No progress on my Atlas set, still 1 book to go. Upgraded a few DC Whitmans in my quest for every issue in VF/NM or better but still about a dozen to go. In the DC Whitman multipack hunt I know there are at least 5-6 examples I've seen that I've not been able to buy yet, I think the only new one I added to my collection was a board purchase. Filled in a few dozen gaps in my HG Star Comics set, that's coming along quite nicely and is no doubt down to just a handful that I need (darn those Ewoks issues, can't find them cheap! :sumo: ) Got a half dozen or so Continuity comics, that publisher's set has to be close to complete with perhaps a few still missing. Added a LOT of bagged multipacks to my collection. :whee:

Actually managed to keep my comics budget for the year under control. Mrs Warlord is VERY happy about that. lol

My comics room is still overflowing with boxes and misc stacks of books and so is very disorganized, but I'm getting some boxes and shelves tomorrow that will go a long way towards taming the chaos! :banana:

Picked up a lot of stuff I wanted to -- including replacing a Daredevil 7 and a Batman 171 I'd sold years ago. Almost finished my Cap run too -- but my biggest goal was an Avengers 4, and so far an affordable copy I liked has eluded me.

The year's not over yet, though. :wishluck:

Here's what I posted in the Collecting Goals of 2010 thread at the start of the year:

"Funnily I don't have any particular goal for 2010 in mind yet

In January 2009, I decided to go for the Four Color run and I have now over half of the books ... I guess that's some success there."

In 2010, I achieved:

1) Got the Four Colors up from 50% to 77% so that's some over 300 new Four Colors in the collection so far this year

2) I completed my Airboy run

3) I completed my American Eagle in Prize Western Comics run

4) I narrowed my Fight run down to 1 issue needed: # 34

5) I narrowed my Senate Panel exhibit recreation down to 1 issue needed

and 6) I found only 1 book for my March 1952 collection over this whole year :frustrated: but I did find it :cool:

I guess in retrospect, I did very well. :whee:

Considering i was out of the hobby until about the end of September, i did pretty good. I made some major headway on my X-men and Avengers runs and got a bunch of random books that i had wanted. Probably added about 100-120 slabs since i got back in.

Would have been doing MUCH better if that damn 9.2w Incredible Hulk #5 didnt get sniped from me this afternoon!!! :censored:

I made a huge dent in my Avengers 1-200 ive been working on for a couple of years.

I got hawkeye #1 Limited Series CGC 9.4, I wanted 9.6 or better but for $8 on eBay I thought it was a steal. Took the plunge and upgraded my Tales of Suspense #57 from a GD to VF.

Got a beautiful CGC 9.8 West Coast Avengers #1 limited series from a fellow boardie. And last but not least I finally got a David Finch Hawkeye sketch.

All in all I'm pretty happy that I achieved most of my 2010 collecting goals :banana:

As the year is winding down, i thought i'd review how much progress i made on my 2010 collecting goal and ask others how they did.

My goal was to whittle down the 250 or so Silver DC in 9.2+ on my want list. i purchased/upgraded 68 slabs. I may have missed a couple purchased at cons.

Breakdown by venue:

Clink 26

Ebay 10

CGC Message Boards 9

Heritage 9

Metro/CC 6

Pedigree 6

Quality Comix 2

(shrug) .....I still haven't completed my 1970 collecting goals. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

One big book (in very, very, very low grade) wiped out my budget for the year.

Identified a lot more of the DC dratted variants and got a bunch of them.

Identified about 8-10 additional GA variants (6-9 for Jan 1941 and 1 for

September 1940) but was able to eliminate several (converted from "unknown"

to "almost certainly never existed").

Learned, to my sorrow, that there a lot more variants for 2009 and 2010

that my LCS did NOT get for me.

From my main goals, not a very productive year. From my goal of getting

all current variants, it was a bad year (and it will take a lot of work to find

out just what I am missing). For the goal of getting the older variants, I

identified almost as many (and put on my want list) as items I got (and removed

from my want list).

Net result: a so-so year with lumps of pain.

I expect next year to be worse (many current variants created but not

gotten; about as many old variants identified and added o my want

list as old variants gotten and removed from the list; missing/incomplete

GA books going up in price before I get them).

From here on in, it looks like each year will be worse than the one

before.

Bought and sold quite a few books this year. Selling at local shows with Kimik, Artboy and 500club has changed the way I view books. I love them all but realize that most SA to current books can be replaced without problem.

I did add a smoking copy of ASM 5 that I love and low grade copies of ASM 2 and AF15. Upgraded some of my core FF run and added some wonderful GA Timelys.

I do love the boards and all the great people here. Helped to revive my interest in the hobby and exposed me to wonderful books.