• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are your top ten golden age acquisitions in 2010?

308 posts in this topic

I love them all, but I really love the Flash 67...dragons! (worship)

I like dragons too. I read most of the early Anne McCaffrey books.

I missed out on buying another copy of this one. Maybe I can list the top ten comics that I didn't get to buy.

2088236386_99949df4ce_z.jpg

bought myself a double dragon as 2010 wrapup. 1-1/2" ivory Japanese early 19th century netsuke- the piece is shaped as a buddhist 'gong' used as a call to meditation. I think this one's gonna be even nicer in real life as the artist has superbly integrated the ivory patterns into the design... ps- say g'bye to 500 clams!

dd-mokygyo.JPG

I love them all, but I really love the Flash 67...dragons! (worship)

I like dragons too. I read most of the early Anne McCaffrey books.

I missed out on buying another copy of this one. Maybe I can list the top ten comics that I didn't get to buy.

2088236386_99949df4ce_z.jpg

The 11 and 14 are on my list for 2011 if anybody is wondering.

The 11 and 14 are on my list for 2011 if anybody is wondering.

Great choices (thumbs u They were on my 1991 list...

submariner11.jpg

submariner14.jpg

My top ten, if I could figure out what I bought this year, would probably bore most of you to tears, so I'll spare you the snoozefest

so this didn't really happen: link

or this? link2

or this? link3

and I couldn't even find your post of your World's Best...

lol

Good points

Okay, the moment none of you have been waiting for:

Jive's Top Ten of Twenty-Ten. :acclaim:

It was a hard slog to settle on these final 10. I actually had about 20 contenders, and 11-20 would've made a pretty cool Top Ten list on their own. But unless your Cheetah, no one really wants to see you post 158 books anyway. lol

So, without further adieu, counting down in reverse:

10). Fighting Yank # 9 (CGC8.0 OW/W) Beautiful old label book with wonderful preservation and a kick-bitt Schomburg cover....came via a ComicConnect auction.

FightingYank9CGC80OWW.jpg

9). Startling Comics # 26 (CGC 8.0 White). Was a "steal" at the price it sold for on a random Sunday evening Heritage Auction back in April. Only the 9.2 Church copy is better, and there are no other copies on the census except for a 4.5. Love it when the "2nd best" costs me thousands less then the "best" would. Another great Schomburg war cover featuring the Fighting Yank attacking a gun crew aboard the German battleship Scharnhorst (which consequently was sunk just before this issue hit the stands).

StartlingComics26CGC80White.jpg

8). Thrilling Comics # 66 (CGC 9.0 Off-White) One of the tougher Schomburg airbrush covers to find in high grade. Bought raw from our buddy Roy, who nailed the grade (much to his credit).

ThrillingComics68CGC90OW.jpg

7). Thrilling Comics # 60 (CGC 9.4 White). Let's see, a Schomburg GGA cover, with White pages, Highest graded, from a very desirable Pedigree collection....how can it possibly get any better? How about buying it on eBay for a song? :cloud9: Surprised, this one finised only as high as # 7.

Thrilling60cgc94f.jpg

6). Startling Comics # 52 (CGC 9.0 OW) This book has given me fits for years...any high grade samples you find are often poorly cut, off-center, have foxing, poor page quality, or something else to distract the eye from that marvelous example of Schomburg Airbrush Mastery. Finally settled on one I could live with (courtesy of our buddy Gator).

StartlingComics52CGC90OW.jpg

5). Wonder Comics # 13 (CGC 9.0 CRM/OW) I don't know why, but when I see this cover, I finding myself craving a slice of cheesecake. :luhv: It doesn't get much better then this awesome example of GGA from the Maestro himself (anyone else starting to sense a theme with my Top Ten acquisitions?). Another one that arrived via the Gator Express.... (worship)

WonderComics13CGC90OWW.jpg

4). Superman # 24 (CGC 9.0 OW/W) A crummy DC? How did this get here? Okay, okay, this book needs no superlatives: the Classic Flag Cover does all the talking.

Superman24CGC90.jpg

3). Startling # 53 (CGC 8.5 OW) I traded away a 9.0 copy of this book a few years ago, and have been looking for a suitable replacement since. This particular copy looks like a 9.0 from every angle, and that stunning Schomburg Airbrush cover is untouched by foxing or arrival dates, or anything else. Very pleased with this one. Big thank you to Gator (again) for this one.

StartlingComics53CGC85OW.jpg

2). Wonder Comics # 1 (CGC 8.0 OW) I've wanted this book for a long time, ever since I first saw it in the Gerber guide. That Classic Schomburg flag cover would be in everyone's Top Ten if it was Captain America, and not the Grim Reaper, as the featured hero. Only this copy and the Church 9.6 (which is a five figure book if it ever comes to market), exist in the census above 5.5. My only regret with this acquisition was that it came about due to an unfortunate personal situation the former owner, a respected Boardie and friend of mine, has had to deal with. :sorry:

WonderComics1CGC80OW.jpg

and my top acquisition for the year......drum roll please.....

1). Startling Comics # 29 (CGC 9.2 White Church copy). Funny story about this book. Someone had listed the 9.0 Crippen copy on ebay late last year for what I felt was a ridiculous price. As much as I love the cover, I couldn't get past the foxing and other assorted preservation ills of the Crippen copy....certainly not enough to pay the staggering $2,500 :o asking price. When it finally did sell (for full ask) in January, I figured I'd wait patiently for the Church copy to come to market. Well, wouldn't you know it, it did just a few short months later in a ComicConnect auction, and I paid not much more for it then the Crippen copy sold for. The one thing that GA collecting has taught me....Patience is indeed a virtue. :cloud9:

StartlingComics29CGC92White.jpg

Thanks everyone, hope you enjoyed looking at these books as much as I enjoyed sharing them. Hopefully, 2011 is just as fruitful as 2010 has been, for all of us. :wishluck::banana:

Thanks everyone, hope you enjoyed looking at these books as much as I enjoyed sharing them

They are indeed a beautiful set of books! A better standard of Nedor acquisitions than anyone could expect to acquire! :applause:

They are indeed a beautiful set of books! A better standard of Nedor acquisitions than anyone could expect to acquire! :applause:

You do know that some of your wit is lost on some people, right? :baiting:

:applause: for this line-up. Well worth waiting to see it. :thumbsup: