• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kick Azz Toys From Your Childhood...
1 1

964 posts in this topic

Not exactly toys but I'm sure some of you might recognize these from your childhood. Some of these Golden Guides are my originals. A lot of them I picked up here and there. I almost have all of them. I remember buying some of them at museum gift shops when the family went. I actually learned a lot from these little paperback books. Anyone else remember these?

GoldenGuides3.jpg

GoldenGuides2.jpg

GoldenGuides1.jpg

Thanks guys. :)

Pat, I got the painted and stickered versions of the Macross Jetfire. The Canadian, and the two Macross versions were the only variations I wanted to collect and the painted version was the most recent acquisition.

The one shown in the picture is in amazing shape - no paint loss on the nose, snow white, all paperwork, decoder and unapplied decal sheet. I was stoked to have had the opportunity to pick it up.

Here's a pic of all three of the G1 Jetfire variations together (big thanks to Bruce [bronzebruce13] for helping with the acquisition of the last piece).

Far left is the painted Macross, Canadian in the middle, and on the right is the stickered Macross (with a gap left in the middle of the painted band on the wing to place the sticker):

DSC02306_zps4b2c2576.jpg

a few pickups from Craigslist these past two weeks.

the "Empire" Falcon and X-wing are both from the same original owner, who had them as a child and they are in almost unplayed with condition. no wear.

the "Star Wars" Falcon is from a different seller, and the ship is also in very nice condition. parts are all there, just not put together.

all 3 ships are very clean, complete, and working.

both Falcon boxes are very nice, but the X-wing box does have moderate wear.

millenniumfalcon006_zpsa1f1d250.jpg

Edited by thedude

the "Empire" Falcon and X-wing are both from the same original owner, who had them as a child and they are in almost unplayed with condition. no wear.

the "Star Wars" Falcon is from a different seller, and the ship is also in very nice condition. parts are all there, just not put together.

nice pick up - my star wars falcon was very well cared for but well played with. Was still virtually flawless and prolly a NM like most of my star wars toys. i remember other kids being taken aback by the fact i always had all the guns for my figures. i eventually sold the whole lot to a nice old man at englishtown flee market who bought then for his grandkids then gave the money away to the poor. Was one of the better gifts i have given in my life as those items really meant something to me as a child.

That's an awesome haul! :applause::cloud9:

:shy:

Thanks Alton, but like I said before my collection is small fries compared to what's been compiled by collectors that have been at it from the time these toys hit the shelves.

I'm just having fun and the nice thing is I've managed to form some friendships and helped a few fellow boardie's along the way.

Those boxes look stunning! (thumbs u

I haven't been able to follow this show as the Travel channel doesn't seem to distribute the program in Canada. BUT, I saw the "Hunt for Misfit Toys" episode that aired before the holidays, and had to share it here. It's pretty cool:

Thanks Alton, but like I said before my collection is small fries compared to what's been compiled by collectors that have been at it from the time these toys hit the shelves.

I'm just having fun and the nice thing is I've managed to form some friendships and helped a few fellow boardie's along the way.

Hello ComicWiz,

It should be noted though that most of those collections shown on 'Toy Hunter' and the like (most, not all) are not in the best possible condition. One thing that I think is important (and from seeing your collection and from the conversations we had); you like me, value quality. I personally am much more appreciative of the fact that it can take me a very long time to find an AFA graded 85 (with all 85 or higher sub grades) 12 back vintage Star Wars figure; rather than just go out a buy a carded 12-back for the sake of owning it.

In conclusion, despite its flaws (and all reality based collectibles shows have these same flaws) I enjoy 'Toy Hunter' a great deal and am very glad that Jordan got a second (and hopefully third) season. I also enjoy 'Collection Intervention,' if only due to the fact that it serves as a not so well disguised attempt to tell collectors the true value of curating their collections and the importance of long term storage (not to mention insurance). These issues are VASTLY overlooked in our 'have to have it now' culture.

While I personally would never appear on any of these kind of shows, the fact that the 'toy collecting' hobby is getting this type of attention it deserves is great in the long run.

Respectfully,

'mint'

Hello ComicWiz,

It should be noted though that most of those collections shown on 'Toy Hunter' and the like (most, not all) are not in the best possible condition. One thing that I think is important (and from seeing your collection and from the conversations we had); you like me, value quality. I personally am much more appreciative of the fact that it can take me a very long time to find an AFA graded 85 (with all 85 or higher sub grades) 12 back vintage Star Wars figure; rather than just go out a buy a carded 12-back for the sake of owning it.

In conclusion, despite its flaws (and all reality based collectibles shows have these same flaws) I enjoy 'Toy Hunter' a great deal and am very glad that Jordan got a second (and hopefully third) season. I also enjoy 'Collection Intervention,' if only due to the fact that it serves as a not so well disguised attempt to tell collectors the true value of curating their collections and the importance of long term storage (not to mention insurance). These issues are VASTLY overlooked in our 'have to have it now' culture.

While I personally would never appear on any of these kind of shows, the fact that the 'toy collecting' hobby is getting this type of attention it deserves is great in the long run.

Respectfully,

'mint'

For the most part, I agree mint. Although I have to mention that one of the things I appreciate (whether or not made deliberate by the constraints of time and editing choices) is that Jordan spends more time talking on the significance of the piece rather than hammering on the condition of the item. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I've owned some incredibly awesome condition toys that also had the rarity factor to enhance it's appeal, but the niche/esoteric collectibility angle pigeon-cornered it into a certain value threshold that neither passage of time or certification could ever hope to enhance.

It's all about context, and I would strongly urge even those collectors who insist on the best condition to closely consider the situation, and not get too hung-up on a number but rather evaluate the overall eye-appeal and presentation of the piece.

For example, I recently had an opportunity to leverage an acquisition funded laterally from a loose certified figure to an ungraded MOC example. It was such a rare opportunity, and while the certified grade of the loose figure was an AFA 90, I also got a 12 Back-A MOC example to show for it. It won't score high on an AFA grade scale, but I'm thoroughly pleased with the way it presents:

SW-VinylCapedJawa-16th-Front_zpsfda988b5.jpg