• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kick Azz Toys From Your Childhood...
1 1

964 posts in this topic

This is beautiful. I remember getting Soundwave for Christmas, and thinking it was about as badasss as a toy could get. The Service Merchandise sticker is also very cool. Does that add value or detract? Seems like it might be like a date stamp. Some like it, some hate it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G1-Transformers-SOUNDWAVE-AFA-85-MISB-sealed-MOSC-MIB-MOC-MINT-85-90-90-/130813139686?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item1e75121ae6

ditto here on x-mas time gift; although i believe mine was a pre-rub. for me personally, that service sticker only enhances; as you pointed out like a really cool "date stamp." but as far as grading goes though, sometimes those stickers and where they are placed could be a deal breaker and grade detraction if the box sub is on the proverbial fence so to speak. but that soundwave in the auction looks pretty crispy case fresh mint. wonder what held the box back from getting a sub 90 grade like the other subs did - maybe the sticker did not help.

What's pre-rub?

Loved Transformers as a kid, but didn't keep up with the particulars of collecting them. I had a bunch of G-1 stuff in the mid-80s, but that's about all I know.

transformers was one of my fav cartoons indeed. the pre-rubs were the actual first release; very limited in supply. they essentially have autobot/decepticon stickers as opposed to the rub-signs style (you have to rub them and then you see whether the robot is an autobot or decepticon), like the rub-sign on the chest area/plastic opening cover of the cassette player on that AFA 85 soundwave.

a pre-rub soundwave of this caliber is insanely rare. think there is only 1 of those in the census. that would sell for some pretty crazy money.

transformers was one of my fav cartoons indeed. the pre-rubs were the actual first release; very limited in supply. they essentially have autobot/decepticon stickers as opposed to the rub-signs style (you have to rub them and then you see whether the robot is an autobot or decepticon), like the rub-sign on the chest area/plastic opening cover of the cassette player on that AFA 85 soundwave.

a pre-rub soundwave of this caliber is insanely rare. think there is only 1 of those in the census. that would sell for some pretty crazy money.

Gotcha! I do remember rubbing the hologram on their chests, I didn't realize there were versions that predated that. I would love to get some nice in-box versions of the stuff I had as a kid, like Grimlock, Slag, Soundwave, Astrotrain, etc. I also remember having two of the big guys, Scorponok and the Godzilla looking Decepticon that was battery operated. In fact, I posted a picture of me with it awhile back. Anyone know the name?

1986.jpg

Gotcha! I do remember rubbing the hologram on their chests, I didn't realize there were versions that predated that. I would love to get some nice in-box versions of the stuff I had as a kid, like Grimlock, Slag, Soundwave, Astrotrain, etc. I also remember having two of the big guys, Scorponok and the Godzilla looking Decepticon that was battery operated. In fact, I posted a picture of me with it awhile back. Anyone know the name?

great pic! the decepticon you are inquiring about is called trypticon. i believe he came out not until 1986ish. this is really out of my expertise range, as my primary focus and knowledge base was generation 1 and generation 2 spanning 1984-1985 time frame. trypticon though factory sealed C9 condition and slabbed would bring in some big money.

small world. you do not see these everyday at all. but here is an AFA 75 trypticon that just went up, but keep in mind, its qualified, meaning not factory tape sealed on both sides. best offer style or BIN @ $3500

Wow, that is awesome. I know I still have the boxes somewhere, but the contents are all beat-to-hell and/or lost at this point!

I was watching (and won) a few G1 goodies. More on them when they arrive.

One of the sellers had a Trypticon - it was in really nice shape, with inserts and box. Although I don't believe it was 100% complete. That said, there are numerous parts guys around that being able to find a box with inserts and paperwork would be far more difficult to obtain than a few missing Trypticon parts.

Like goldage, it was out of my G1 collecting focus and I am glad I bowed out from going after it because the following week a monster piece came up and I would need all the money I could muster up to go after. It's a piece that would complete my Boba Fett focus and has eluded me for over two years, because of it's rarity and the amount of crazy competition whenever one surfaces.

It's on its way and I can't wait. :whee:

1986.jpg

Absolutely love the old pic. Trying to have my family find me with the Omega Supreme or Optimus.

Astrotrain is pretty cheap (in the scheme of things). Soundwave is definitely more due to nostalgia. Slag tends to be semi-cheap. Grimlock is highly desirable, but still reasonable.

Personnally, Trypticon isn't too bad. Accessories are everything. I honestly recommend buying a complete one as individual accessories can be costly. But sometimes it's fun to re-build.

Scorponok, one of my favorites, is definitely more pricey than the others. He's absolutely phenomenal. A good example of one where some accessories can break the bank.

To answer someone else's question: Yes, Trypticon was released in 1986.

Pat

its interesting how past that later 1985 generation run of say shockwave, dinobots, etc. they started making "bigger" ones starting with jetfire, than omega supreme, and onto the trypticon, etc. these were not exactly chump change to buy off the toy shelf back in the 80's either.

as i recall, the autobot cars were in the $9.99 range. optimus prime & megatron were $19.99. soundwave was $14.99. believe shockwave & jetfire were the most expensive out of that whole run from 84-85. shockwave was like $24.99 while jetfire topped $29 range. dinobots were $14.99 each. the decepticon jets were $14.99. the mini autos were like a few bucks if that. those were the days.

was just chatting someone up about the star wars 12 backs in the late 70's. you could walk into a k-mart and in those days they had huge rack like bins in the front middle of the store with tons of the 12 backs just poured in there for, i think it was, $1.99 each.

Nice to see some G1 Transformers...I used to have many and, recently, snagged up my favorites as a kid---dinobots! Starscream ain't bad either. Love the price stickers--just like a full date stamp in a comic if you ask me :)

CBBF205F-A40C-4717-A9AE-1DEB7261929C-11865-0000076F81CDE8A4.jpg

681F6C6D-E531-4B5C-8ECB-48846A2D90FC-11865-0000076FA0F65178.jpg

32475D79-F419-4E89-90D7-A07C4BA1754E-11865-0000077061CC6657.jpg

F96524E7-08EA-4321-B484-9312B379A231-11865-0000076FFEEE20F5.jpg

F0DFE1DA-AC1A-4B55-84E7-A157A83C0AB0-11865-0000076FE5817DAC.jpg

681F6C6D-E531-4B5C-8ECB-48846A2D90FC-11865-0000076FA0F65178.jpg

woolworth = :cloud9:

thanks for sharing pics and congrats on your recent acquisitions. definitely concur with you on the price stickers giving it that extra nostalgic authentic vibe, especially with how good some of the ko's have gotten. they are easy to spot, but for the average non-toy collector, possibly not.

An AFA 85 12 Back-A Vader just went for $3700

wow. that is a crazy price. these have to be all time high prices -no?? there was one 85 vader slab i was watching that ended 11/25 on ebay that fetched $2705 with subs C85 B85 F90 but it was a C version and i was floored by that.

you think people are buying into the rumor that they are bringing vader back somehow for ep VII? those prices are most impressive, especially given how many collectibles, slabbed especially in the higher tier quality range, have had prices drop since a few years ago when AFA mania had peaked.

so maybe there is something to my theory here; back in september, before the big lucas film buyout, an 85 vader, B version, fetched only $1175

I always start thinking more about my old toys at this time of year.

My best Christmas present ever was a GI Joe USS Flagg. My dad and uncle spent a good couple of hours w/me putting it together on Boxing Day... and I spend an insane amount of hours playing with it for years afterwards.

GI Joe and Transformers toys were the best! I still plan on buying a generation one Optimus Prime at some point.

An AFA 85 12 Back-A Vader just went for $3700

wow. that is a crazy price. these have to be all time high prices -no?? there was one 85 vader slab i was watching that ended 11/25 on ebay that fetched $2705 with subs C85 B85 F90 but it was a C version and i was floored by that.

you think people are buying into the rumor that they are bringing vader back somehow for ep VII? those prices are most impressive, especially given how many collectibles, slabbed especially in the higher tier quality range, have had prices drop since a few years ago when AFA mania had peaked.

so maybe there is something to my theory here; back in september, before the big lucas film buyout, an 85 vader, B version, fetched only $1175

The letter A variation 12 Backs have the most demand. The grade factor and time of year (Christmas fast approaching) are certainly variables to consider in higher than normal auction yields, but I'm reasonably certain that if another one popped-up in the same grade, the market would absorb it at around the same price.

The letter A variation 12 Backs have the most demand. The grade factor and time of year (Christmas fast approaching) are certainly variables to consider in higher than normal auction yields, but I'm reasonably certain that if another one popped-up in the same grade, the market would absorb it at around the same price.

i am familiar with the significance of the three letter variations and what it means to price/demand with respect to the 12 backs. honestly though i have never paid that much close attention to each specific variant and their respective prices. so reality is, an A variant has not popped up at all in a really long time, for at least whatever auctions i was watching, so all those lower priced auctions i have randomly seen close here and there were either B's or C's.

but that B variant auction i mentioned finishing in the $2700 range really shocked me but you are obviously way more privy and in tune to this marketplace.

so how often would you say a solid 85 A variant actually shows up? once a year or less? you are right that if another popped up, the market would easily absorb at that price point. if 5 more popped up though, i would venture to say that would be a different story. however, good news is, you can not exactly "press" one of these out from an AFA 80 vader slab :) so the float on these 85 slabbed A's is probably very thin.