• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kick Azz Toys From Your Childhood...
1 1

964 posts in this topic

Loose standard MASK stuff sells fairly well. Not great, but does pretty well. It's one of the few items that I can list on local Craigslist and get quite a few buyers from out of state (generally the East Coast).

In terms of overall popularity (to the general public), MASK will never be able to hang with stuff like Transformers, GI Joe, or He-man.

AFA isn't my jam so I can't comment on that. In the scheme of things, AFA isn't as prevalent as CGC is to comics. But I think ComicWhiz covered that aspect pretty well. Unless AFA prices drop, I don't see it ever being to the same level as CGC. The only way to drop those prices is to improve the turn-around times which would increase the number of items on the market.

Pat

I would like to give a shout out to Shane Turgeon, who did give me some great background on Star Wars toys and prototypes and shared some awesome pictures of his collection with me. He is an amazing resource and a wealth of knowledge. And I used nothing that he shared with me against him. :P

Shane is a member here (and was a mod at RS before stepping down from the role). He's well liked in the RS community, and I've talked with him as well and I believe we both came away helping each other in situations where a second opinion mattered.

There is a big difference between that type of assist, and asking someone to give you moving boxes, do the packing and heavy lifting for you because you can't be bothered to get off the pot and do it yourself.

You also are greatly misunderstanding the difference between communicating with someone privately, and posting information publicly for competing collectors to mine and use to further their own pursuits. I have no trouble helping via PM, and there have been a handful of boadie's here just in the past month who I have happily assisted in this manner.

In any case, I think it's a bit crass to say you weren't posting a "GPA help" post in here, suggest that wasn't your intention, complain about not getting the info which took time and effort to compile, and then admit it's because you don't want to do the research yourself. :facepalm:

In any case, I think it's a bit crass to say you weren't posting a "GPA help" post in here, suggest that wasn't your intention, complain about not getting the info which took time and effort to compile, and then admit it's because you don't want to do the research yourself. :facepalm:

It's a real shame that that's what you took away from everything that I wrote.

Regardless, you have a very nice website!

Thanks!

And to give you a taste of the ways a forthcoming and helpful nature was used against me:

Back around late January, a boardie on RS using the alias Kenner_Babe posted a pricing help thread (this is a second thread - the one on RS was posted earlier but likely went poof). I immediately contacted her telling her I was interested in acquiring the complete set of 12 Back Palitoy MOC's she was requesting pricing help on.

The PM's were pretty straight forward. I ask for a shot at buying them, she asks what I'd like to pay, and I start asking for particulars (i.e. close-up shots, deets, provenance, etc.). She then explains she doesn't have them in-hand and is brokering the deal on behalf of Jordan Hembrough (aka Toy Hunter). She asked that I keep this information confidential which I agreed to do.

During this time, she insisted that I give her a working ballpark number to go back and see if Jordan would be interested. I finally gave in and threw out the number. I did this however with the understanding I had first shot at the set, and that I was first in line (as far as I remember, she told me no one else had reached out to her so I felt fairly confident giving her this info).

Within a day or two, she started a FS thread here. The price she used to list the figures was the number I gave. She also didn't appear at all bashful about telling everyone she was brokering the deal on behalf of Jordan.

Strike one.

I contacted her and mentioned my displeasure with her shopping the set around and using my pricing information to help sell the set. She blew me off.

Strike two.

Eventually, this whole situation exploded into one where she was banned from RS for conducting herself in a number of questionable ways. For a brief time, this trickled on to Twitter when, after being banned from RS a second time under a shill account I discovered, she began stalking one of my personal brands on Twitter using foul language in her posts.

Strike three.

The second banning happened because she began asking for pricing help on some Thundercats MOC's (see here and here). There was a thread on RS she posted which was similar to the posts on the Thundercats forums, but didn't immediately make the connection until I traced the images she used to the two other posts.

Unfortunately, I also didn't make the connection early enough when communicating on RS and stupidly proceeded to provide her again with some information which she then used to try to attempt selling the items. When I found the posts on the Thunercats forums, I instantly knew who this was.

I decided I had enough and contacted Jordan about this and he unfortunately knew none of this was going on. In fact, it wasn't until months later, after having given "Kenner_Babe" the go ahead to start selling some stuff on eBay that he himself began realizing something wasn't right with this individual.

People began complaining they didn't receive their items to Jordan, and shortly afterward, it was discovered that "She" (Kenner_Babe) was actually a "He."

Some pretty messed-up stuff followed, including numerous posts remarking on this individuals antics (see here), and it always concerned me that Jordan was trusting an alleged "troubled teen" who went by the moniker "self-cutting girl" on Twitter with such high-end collectibles.

But it also stood to reason that the reactions toward Jordan in online communities appeared too polarizing to chance asking for this info himself, and perhaps the "She" who turned out to be a "He" was a buffer used to keep up with trends while maintaining a calm in native collecting communities.

As bizarre as this all sounds, this all happened and is one of the ways pricing info on items was used against me. While this was one of the most remarkable and memorable (losing out on the Palitoy set is something I'd rather sooner forget), it's unfortunate that it took a few bad experiences and poor decisions by scheming opportunists to make me realize I needed to be more careful about how and with whom this information is shared.

I know this girl who used to be a guy..stay with me..

The guy used to collect Star wars.A lot.

She has about 40 MIB Star wars toys and vehicles from 1977.

I tell you,she opens that door,its like i can hear Arabian nights golden treasure kinda music.

I had the original...

Unfortunately the plastic used on 80's GI Joe was VERY brittle and such as life I sold the remains for parts about ten years ago.

I thought about buying another original on eBay but then remembered that it would be a waste as it would not last long...

Lo and behold' they announced at Toy Fair that they made a new one... not one based off the old mold but one based off a new mold... I wrote about it back in February that I needed one and just this past weekend I found one by pure dumb luck.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6384583&fpart=2

EC5A57A6-470A-492A-8ABC-48ACA3C6A982-1927-0000006CC0AFC32C.jpg

Still have the original in a box with a number of other Joe things, sold off most at a garage sale, and my stuff although played with was looked after and would be well valued currently. That said I kept this, and a couple of other vehicles that were by far my favorites. No Joe battle happened without troop deployment on a Tomahawk!

Thanks!

And to give you a taste of the ways a forthcoming and helpful nature was used against me:

Back around late January, a boardie on RS using the alias Kenner_Babe posted a pricing help thread (this is a second thread - the one on RS was posted earlier but likely went poof). I immediately contacted her telling her I was interested in acquiring the complete set of 12 Back Palitoy MOC's she was requesting pricing help on.

The PM's were pretty straight forward. I ask for a shot at buying them, she asks what I'd like to pay, and I start asking for particulars (i.e. close-up shots, deets, provenance, etc.). She then explains she doesn't have them in-hand and is brokering the deal on behalf of Jordan Hembrough (aka Toy Hunter). She asked that I keep this information confidential which I agreed to do.

During this time, she insisted that I give her a working ballpark number to go back and see if Jordan would be interested. I finally gave in and threw out the number. I did this however with the understanding I had first shot at the set, and that I was first in line (as far as I remember, she told me no one else had reached out to her so I felt fairly confident giving her this info).

Within a day or two, she started a FS thread here. The price she used to list the figures was the number I gave. She also didn't appear at all bashful about telling everyone she was brokering the deal on behalf of Jordan.

Strike one.

I contacted her and mentioned my displeasure with her shopping the set around and using my pricing information to help sell the set. She blew me off.

Strike two.

Eventually, this whole situation exploded into one where she was banned from RS for conducting herself in a number of questionable ways. For a brief time, this trickled on to Twitter when, after being banned from RS a second time under a shill account I discovered, she began stalking one of my personal brands on Twitter using foul language in her posts.

Strike three.

The second banning happened because she began asking for pricing help on some Thundercats MOC's (see here and here). There was a thread on RS she posted which was similar to the posts on the Thundercats forums, but didn't immediately make the connection until I traced the images she used to the two other posts.

Unfortunately, I also didn't make the connection early enough when communicating on RS and stupidly proceeded to provide her again with some information which she then used to try to attempt selling the items. When I found the posts on the Thunercats forums, I instantly knew who this was.

I decided I had enough and contacted Jordan about this and he unfortunately knew none of this was going on. In fact, it wasn't until months later, after having given "Kenner_Babe" the go ahead to start selling some stuff on eBay that he himself began realizing something wasn't right with this individual.

People began complaining they didn't receive their items to Jordan, and shortly afterward, it was discovered that "She" (Kenner_Babe) was actually a "He."

Some pretty messed-up stuff followed, including numerous posts remarking on this individuals antics (see here), and it always concerned me that Jordan was trusting an alleged "troubled teen" who went by the moniker "self-cutting girl" on Twitter with such high-end collectibles.

But it also stood to reason that the reactions toward Jordan in online communities appeared too polarizing to chance asking for this info himself, and perhaps the "She" who turned out to be a "He" was a buffer used to keep up with trends while maintaining a calm in native collecting communities.

As bizarre as this all sounds, this all happened and is one of the ways pricing info on items was used against me. While this was one of the most remarkable and memorable (losing out on the Palitoy set is something I'd rather sooner forget), it's unfortunate that it took a few bad experiences and poor decisions by scheming opportunists to make me realize I needed to be more careful about how and with whom this information is shared.

Never knew this. I normally don't have enough time to spend on the Rebel Scum Forums, but I hold them in high esteem. Sorry this happened to you. This must have occurred when I was really sick and dealing with my health issues.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Loved this, too:

I liked that and the ones that weren't part of the smash up derby set.

I had one with a pointed from. I pulled the cord and gave it a push it as a set it down. It went across the room and knocked a hole in the sheetrock wall. My dad wasn't too pleased, but I still thought that was neat (in a bad way).

DG

I go to a Antique/Flea Market every week. They have a bomb arse deli that a slew of people love to eat at.

Then we take a look for about an hour at lunch. I haven't seen anything of interest in quite some time. But last week, a guy had a handfull of MOC 1980s He-man/MOTU figures.

Ended up buying a MOC Kobra Khan figure. Now, it's not the most desirable figure. But it was one of the last MOCs that I need for the collection. Pretty happy with that.

It got me thinking about a different topic.

What vintage toys are SUPER common in the loose state but not in the package? I'm sure there is a cut-off point where this is obvious. But from the 80s up, I'm not sure it's as easy to answer. Let's shy from the foreigns for now.

I'll add a couple to start from the He-man line:

1. Ram-Man - If you buy a loose collection, there are guaranteed to be 1 or 2. But the MOCs are tough to find. Even tougher when not the Top Toys version.

2. Man-E-Faces - Very similar to the above. Not as hard in MOC, but still commands a good penny and is quite rare in comparison to the loose numbers.

Pat

I go to a Antique/Flea Market every week. They have a bomb arse deli that a slew of people love to eat at.

Then we take a look for about an hour at lunch. I haven't seen anything of interest in quite some time. But last week, a guy had a handfull of MOC 1980s He-man/MOTU figures.

Ended up buying a MOC Kobra Khan figure. Now, it's not the most desirable figure. But it was one of the last MOCs that I need for the collection. Pretty happy with that.

It got me thinking about a different topic.

What vintage toys are SUPER common in the loose state but not in the package? I'm sure there is a cut-off point where this is obvious. But from the 80s up, I'm not sure it's as easy to answer. Let's shy from the foreigns for now.

I'll add a couple to start from the He-man line:

1. Ram-Man - If you buy a loose collection, there are guaranteed to be 1 or 2. But the MOCs are tough to find. Even tougher when not the Top Toys version.

2. Man-E-Faces - Very similar to the above. Not as hard in MOC, but still commands a good penny and is quite rare in comparison to the loose numbers.

Pat

Thanks for sharing. Love MOTU (thumbs u I have an old school MOTU run but all loose but with weapons/accessories at least. However like my comics, I do slab allot of toys as well. I was curious about something based on your lingo; do you mainly collect raw? Was wondering why you referred to those He-Man figures as MOC and not MOSC ((= Mint On Sealed Card)) ? Or in the raw universe for some, is MOC just assumed to be originally factory sealed? I have seen some pretty crazy glue and tape jobs on SW 12 back bubbles and one secret wars figure over the years :screwy:

By the way, major major props for finding a sealed Khan at that flea market. Huge find there. Feel free to post of pic you get around to it.

Regarding your question, with respect to transformers, if you go to ebay on any given day you can find a boat load of loose played with Megatrons. But finding one sealed and AFA graded is a different universe.

Hola,

I was using MOC (Mint of Card) in the same context as MOSC (Mint on Sealed Card).

I'm a HUGE 80s He-man fan too (also Joes, MASK, and Transformers). From what I recall, the guy had a MOC/MOSC Whiplash (common), Buzz-Saw Hordak (much rarer), and something else I'm forgetting. The Buzz-Saw was a bit too much. If it was cheaper, I would have bought it.

Keep the rare MOC/MOSC yet common looses coming.

Pat

To address what was said earlier, the correct term is mint on card (MOC). This means the blister is still factory sealed on the cardback.

Slipping the "S" to represent "sealed"is only used to describe boxed examples which are factory sealed.

So "mint in box" (MIB) is usually used to describe toys that have been opened, and then descriptors are used to denote completeness.

"Mint in sealed box" (MISB) is an unopened factory sealed example.

Finally, to address any reglued blisters, this is regarded as a "reseal" and can use original cardback, blister, reproduction cardback/blister or any combination of these.

Reseals of any kind should never be described as MOC or sealed, and doing so under the guise of selling the collectible as unopened is a scam.

A close relative is "never removed from box" (NRFB) which is a cute way of saying I wish I never opened this cool toy, but I still want to try to get MISB money.

Let's see some new stuff!

A variant of this thread.

What toy did a person have when you were young and you were jealous (friend, neighbor, schoolmate, etc)? Did you end up getting it later in life?

Pat

Here are my favorites. All items were originally mine as a kid except the Spidey mego, which I never owned. Some items are original and some re purchased after they were thrown out many years ago. Enjoy!

FC3A9067-695E-46D6-B252-7BFA0D2AC65B-375-0000002B411D21B9_zpsb90daa81.jpg

Left to right:

Superman Movie puzzle, 1978. (Original)

Superman ring, 1976 (original--I lost this ring about 2-3x in a field at school; finally held on to it)

Superman button, 1976 (original)

Darth Vadar carrying case, 1980 (re-bought)

Darth Vadar figure, 1980 (toy is sealed in bubble but the original card was removed oddly so I used a 2010 SDCC retro card instead)

Stan Lees Marvel Fun book , 1979 (original and I didn't complete all the games)

Marvel pocket books (FF 1-6 reprints and ASM 14-20 reprints)---hooked me on vintage comics.

Marvel Super heroes lunch pail, 1976. Thermos inside is original but the lunch pail was re purchased.

Spiderman backpack, 1979. (My original bag from 1st/2nd grade)

Shogun Warriors Godzillas, 1977. (Both re bought)

Spidey/hulk dinner trays, 1979. Both my originals.

Spidey mego, 1979. This is the only item in the pic I never owned as a kid

I remember a set of toys based on the Bonanza show that a neighor was selling but my folks wouldn't spring for it. They were small figures with a diorama type thing they went with. Anyone know what I'm talking about ? ..... probably pre '70...... GOD BLESS....

-imbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I started reading through this thread and I instantly remembered everything about my favorite toy as a kid. I earned some money through recycling cans and bottles and saved up enough to go to Toys R Us and buy an action figure. I spent like 20 minutes or so looking until I found...the one. And now I'm going to have to buy another one on eBay. This is an A+ thread!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181183939109?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I remember a set of toys based on the Bonanza show that a neighor was selling but my folks wouldn't spring for it. They were small figures with a diorama type thing they went with. Anyone know what I'm talking about ? ..... probably pre '70...... GOD BLESS....

-imbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Jim, I think the ones you are referring to are the American Character (AC) produced Bonanza action figures (Ben, Little Joe and Hoss):

4020830_1_l.jpg

Here's the original TV ad:

What's interesting is that AC appears to have intended a fourth character (Adam Cartwright playing "The Outlaw") and he's even seen in the TV ad as well as the ad below, but to my knowledge he was never produced:

american-character-bonanza-print-ad.png