• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jerry Weist

120 posts in this topic

Jerry has just passed away.

Someone who has helped our hobby in more ways than I can even say. A real pioneer with a love of comic books and science fiction that would be hard to match.

He was a brother to me. I can't find the right words to say at this moment, except that my world, and our hobby, will be worse off for his passing.

He leaves behind a wife and two kids who loved him. And he loved them more that anything.

Rest in peace my brother, I love you.

My landscape is now empty that you are gone...........

-Steve

Oh my god Steve. I'd heard he was sick, but I had no idea. This is truly terrible news. My heart sank when I saw the title of the thread.

He was a giant in this hobby and a first class guy all the way around.

I am very sad to hear of his passing. The hobby is much poorer for this loss. It really puts things in perspective

Me neither, I knew he had cancer but didn't think it was that bad. Sad to hear he passed away. He was one of the great pioneers of the comic collecting hobby and an all-around good man. I still remember the days when I purchased my first few White Mountain's from him, almost 20 years ago. :(:sorry:

A real blow, to be sure. He was a good man and a pioneer and a patriot of comics. I hope he's on day one of a new Million Year Picnic of peace wherever he is.

I'm sure everyone remembers Jerry's iconic ad where he is drinking fine vintage wine looking at his comic collection... :angel:

Sometimes, in times of a passing, terms such as "PIONEER" or "LEGEND" or "GIANT" are exaggerated or people are just trying to be nice

BUT, in the case of Jerry, they are ALL TRUE!!!

He was a TRUE GIANT in this hobby!!

From the early days when "Uncle" Forry Ackerman visited him and Roger Hill in Wichita, Kansas and asked Jerry to invite the "Witches of Wichita" over. To publishing the legendary EC fanzine "Squa Tront". To opening up one of the first comic shops a DECADE BEFORE it was fashionable in Cambridge, Mass. with the Picnic. To discovering not one BUT two pedigree collections in the White Mountains and Mohawk Valleys. To convincing Sothebys (of all people!) to honor comic art by having the FIRST comic auction. To writing the first Original Comic Art price guide. To....To...To...(you get the drift)...the man was a LEGEND!!

My prayers and thoughts are with Dana and the family

Jerry, hope you have a blast up there when Uncle Forry introduces you to Boris, Bela and the Lons!!

Jerry was indeed a forefather for this hobby. His passion knew no equal. Many times we have spoken on the phone and I could hear the excitement in his voice every time when discussing the White Mountains, this hobby and original art. This hobby lost one of the good ones today and for the knowledge he has passed down and shared not only with me but the hobby as a whole, I will be eternally grateful.

Jim

I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but it sounds like our hobby has been dealt a serious blow.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Yes, it is sad news. I know how close Steve and Jerry were. I first met Jerry at Million Year Picnic 30 or so years ago. Had a few phone conversations with him about various and sundry things (including the oddball DC SA titles like SECRET SIX, BROTHER POWER THE GEEK, the DEADMAN run of STRANGE ADVENTURES etc.) He was quite the gentleman, too.

There is a common phrase I read: "HE DID A LOT FOR THE HOBBY". It usually means he did a lot for himself. In doing that, there was a side effect that helped the hobby.

Jerry Weist actually DID do a lot for the hobby.

I bought his Squa Tront when it first came out. There was no fanzine like it. He sold me my Amazing Fantasy #15 at a good price. I bought his biography of Ray Bradbury and loved reading it. I had the good fortune to meet him at the 2003 World SF Convention in Toronto. We talked about his life in comics and SF.

I was impressed by the number of respected individuals, like Bradbury and Carl Barks who trusted him. I trusted him. He was a man of intelligence and good spirit.

Jerry has just passed away.

Someone who has helped our hobby in more ways than I can even say. A real pioneer with a love of comic books and science fiction that would be hard to match.

He was a brother to me. I can't find the right words to say at this moment, except that my world, and our hobby, will be worse off for his passing.

He leaves behind a wife and two kids who loved him. And he loved them more that anything.

Rest in peace my brother, I love you.

My landscape is now empty that you are gone...........

-Steve

This is a shock. God Bless his family and may Jerry rest in peace.

In an indirect way, Jerry's work The Comic Art Price Guide influenced my decision to collect UG comix.

His inclusion of cross-sectional data for the more important comix from the counterculture period played a major role in bridging the gaps of a socially relevant body of work, that was all but left behind, and effected a resurgence of interest that the market continues to enjoy. The most recent record-breaking prices for the Plymell Zap's are a prime example.

His contributions remain relevant, and his legacy and devotion to the hobby will be remembered.