• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman Family Collecting Thread!
3 3

1,567 posts in this topic

Superman202.jpg

Bought this at World Book and News on Hollywood Blvd in the early in the fall of 1967. My friend Gary and I would take the bus to Cheorkee Books, buy a stack of 10-DCs and Marvels and then head over a block or two to the newstand. Thus an original owner copy!

Superman202.jpg

Bought this at World Book and News on Hollywood Blvd in the early in the fall of 1967. My friend Gary and I would take the bus to Cheorkee Books, buy a stack of 10-DCs and Marvels and then head over a block or two to the newstand. Thus an original owner copy!

Sweet :applause:, great anecdote too.

Superman202.jpg

Still looks newsstand fresh. (thumbs u

Superman202.jpg

To have a comic you yourself purchased off the newstand in 1967 still looking so fresh and new is incredible!

(worship)

Here are scans of five more of my Action Comics:

24-06-2012112000PM.jpg

24-06-2012112003PM.jpg

Northland copy

24-06-2012112006PM.jpg

24-06-2012112010PM.jpg

24-06-2012112016PM.jpg

:cool:

Edited by Hepcat

Superman202.jpg

To have a comic you yourself purchased off the newstand in 1967 still looking so fresh and new is incredible!

(worship)

Here are scans of five more of my Action Comics:

24-06-2012112000PM.jpg

24-06-2012112003PM.jpg

Northland copy

24-06-2012112006PM.jpg

24-06-2012112010PM.jpg

24-06-2012112016PM.jpg

:cool:

Speaking of newstand fresh your entire collction-just about- looks newstand fresh. However, I love that Action Comics 317. I'll have to be more aggressive on my bids next time one comes to market--or you can just sell me yours and make like easier. Oh, I have a few more anuuals that I bought at the same location that I still own.. I'll dig them out this weekend and post them.

SLR

Here is the result of another expedition by bus from North Hollywood ( Bus #93) from Whitsett and Chandler to Hollywood. This was in the late fall or early winter of 1965, my first year of Jr. High School. Mark Labowe, Gary Nelson, and I spent all morning at Cherokee Book Shop digging through their boxes of 10-centers and early 12-centers and then we'd head over to World Book and News just up the street where we would buy the new releases. And here is one of the books I saved, one of my favorite Superman Anuuals, Superman 183. Then we would head home after a lunch or either a burger or hot dog. There were two burger/hot dog stands one on the Blvd and one on Selma Ave about a block or two South.

So here's my original owner copy purchased by yours truly: Superman185.jpg

Edited by Stevenrams

Here is the result of another expedition by bus from North Hollywood ( Bus #93) from Whitsett and Chandler to Hollywood. This was in the late fall or early winter of 1965, my first year of Jr. High School. Mark Labowe, Gary Nelson, and I spent all morning at Cherokee Book Shop digging through their boxes of 10-centers and early 12-centers and then we'd head over to World Book and News just up the street where we would buy the new releases. And here is one of the books I saved, one of my favorite Superman Anuuals, Superman 183. Then we would head home after a lunch or either a burger or hot dog. There were two burger/hot dog stands one on the Blvd and one on Selma Ave about a block or two South.

So here's my original ower copy purchased by yours truly: Superman185.jpg

Wow what foresight to keep the book in that kind of condition back then. :acclaim: Do you recall how you stored it?

Great story BTW. :headbang:

Wow what foresight to keep the book in that kind of condition back then. :acclaim: Do you recall how you stored it?

I stored them in the freezer (lol). Actually, I would place two three books in a large shoebox that my dad would give me. He was a shoe salesman at the time; in fact he was a born salesman my dad. Made a pretty good living raising three kids and we lived in three homes over a thirty period each one more upscale than the other though I liked the one in North Hollywood the best. Anyway my dad would allow me to use his closet as well as my own in my bedroom. Two or three books in a large shoebox--that's it or the books would result in a spineroll. My dad read comics as a kid and he would carefully read mine. Anway I saved about 50 to 70 books from those bygone days most of which are in top grade. I've CGC'd maybe about 10-15, the rest I keep raw as a reminder of those days and of my dad who passed away at 85 years old back in 2009.

Two or three books in a large shoebox--that's it or the books would result in a spineroll.... Anway I saved about 50 to 70 books from those bygone days most of which are in top grade.

That was really prescient for a young fellow in the sixties. I used to yell at my buddies not to fold my comics over if they were reading them because it "wrecked" them, but I nonetheless stacked several dozen in a pile.

(shrug)

I stored them in the freezer (lol). Actually, I would place two three books in a large shoebox that my dad would give me. He was a shoe salesman at the time; in fact he was a born salesman my dad. Made a pretty good living raising three kids and we lived in three homes over a thirty period each one more upscale than the other though I liked the one in North Hollywood the best. Anyway my dad would allow me to use his closet as well as my own in my bedroom. Two or three books in a large shoebox--that's it or the books would result in a spineroll. My dad read comics as a kid and he would carefully read mine. Anway I saved about 50 to 70 books from those bygone days most of which are in top grade. I've CGC'd maybe about 10-15, the rest I keep raw as a reminder of those days and of my dad who passed away at 85 years old back in 2009.

Great memories Steve, and great tribute to your Father.

You must still really miss him. I still miss mine, and he died quite young nearly 20 years ago.

Edited by Bluetooth

Great memories Steve, and great tribute to your Father.

You must still really miss him. I still miss mine, and he died quite young nearly 20 years ago.

recently lost mine too :sorry: He was such a cool guy. That Superman 183 is such a classic. Another favorite that someone recently posted is the Action 241.....man I :cloud9: a Wayne Boring Fortress story. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

Not enough can be said about the So Cal comic scene of the 60's and 70's. I got to experience a little bit in the late 70's. My uncle owned a restaurant in the 70s’ on Hollywood Blvd. called Stars Deli. I used to go there on the weekends and hang out on Hollywood Blvd. going to all the comic shops, and there were more than a few.

I went into Cherokee a few times, I think it was past its heyday by then, but it was a legendary store even then. I also hung out and bought a lot of books at Bond Street Book Store, the guy who owned it was awesome. He used to tell me about his complete Walt Disney Comics and Stories collection. He had a great store just stacked with stuff all over the place.

There were so many other cool stores on Hollywood Blvd. My Uncle’s restaurant was next door to an old movie theater, one that had been around forever and still showed movies. I remember going in there to see the Clint Eastwood movie, the Gauntlet. One day my Uncle shows be his basement, and takes me on a tour of the tunnel’s under Hollywood Blvd. They go on forever! The movie theater had old movie theater junk in a cage under their property. It was pretty exciting to walk around there.

There was a 15 to 20 year gap from those days to the next time I went to Hollywood. I took my wife and daughter there. Everything I liked about it was gone, it was just a trashy dive. A real shame, but I was glad to have at least experienced it a little before it was all gone.

Not enough can be said about the So Cal comic scene of the 60's and 70's. I got to experience a little bit in the late 70's. My uncle owned a restaurant in the 70s’ on Hollywood Blvd. called Stars Deli. I used to go there on the weekends and hang out on Hollywood Blvd. going to all the comic shops, and there were more than a few.

I went into Cherokee a few times, I think it was past its heyday by then, but it was a legendary store even then. I also hung out and bought a lot of books at Bond Street Book Store, the guy who owned it was awesome. He used to tell me about his complete Walt Disney Comics and Stories collection. He had a great store just stacked with stuff all over the place.

There were so many other cool stores on Hollywood Blvd. My Uncle’s restaurant was next door to an old movie theater, one that had been around forever and still showed movies. I remember going in there to see the Clint Eastwood movie, the Gauntlet. One day my Uncle shows be his basement, and takes me on a tour of the tunnel’s under Hollywood Blvd. They go on forever! The movie theater had old movie theater junk in a cage under their property. It was pretty exciting to walk around there.

There was a 15 to 20 year gap from those days to the next time I went to Hollywood. I took my wife and daughter there. Everything I liked about it was gone, it was just a trashy dive. A real shame, but I was glad to have at least experienced it a little before it was all gone.

More than one comic book shop on Hollywood Blvd, that's pretty mind boggling compared to the Midwest scene. :cloud9: Were the tunnels under Hollywood Blvd the ones built during prohibition so bootleg liquor could move around unobtrusively? I seem to recall watching a show about tunnels, but cannot remember offhand which city they were located in.

My wife hails from a small town in northern Minnesota. The downtown theater shut down in the early 80's and stood empty for quite a few years. The last time I was up there it had turned into an antique shop.