• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman Family Collecting Thread!
3 3

1,567 posts in this topic

A few of my latest pickups:

Look, a gorilla on the cover! How innovative!

Action218_zps4fb166b1.jpg

They really liked this storyline, I can remember a couple other versions with Superman, and at least one with Superboy:

Action220_zps6fd4ad1b.jpg

I really like the look of these black background covers. Makes 'em hard to get good looking ones, particularly if you are buying lower grade copies like I do...

Action223_zpsff75f9a3.jpg

I scanned this one because... okay, no good reason, I just liked the cover.

Superman119_zpsce815eb4.jpg

Oh, no, Superman is marrying someone besides Lois! How could this be? - the storyline of just about every other issue of Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane.

Superman120_zps168d4f80.jpg

Finally, another cover I really liked. Also, this was the highest number Superman that I had on my wantlist, so along with these others, I now have a complete set from 125 up. Yay!

Superman137_zps4a8c3604.jpg

OK, so nobody thought my HEEB cover was funny...what-ever... (shrug)

Maybe if you'd posted some scans from the "Hot Jewish Babes" photo spread, you might have gotten some response. :lol:

They really liked this storyline, I can remember a couple other versions with Superman, and at least one with Superboy:

Action220_zps6fd4ad1b.jpg

I really like the look of these black background covers. Makes 'em hard to get good looking ones, particularly if you are buying lower grade copies like I do...

Action223_zpsff75f9a3.jpg

I scanned this one because... okay, no good reason, I just liked the cover.

Superman119_zpsce815eb4.jpg

Oh, no, Superman is marrying someone besides Lois! How could this be? - the storyline of just about every other issue of Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane.

Superman120_zps168d4f80.jpg

Finally, another cover I really liked. Also, this was the highest number Superman that I had on my wantlist, so along with these others, I now have a complete set from 125 up. Yay!

Superman137_zps4a8c3604.jpg

Love your Superman 223. You're right; finding low-grade, well-presenting copies of this issue and other black covers are hard to find. Action Comics 229 is another tough black-issue cover. Finally found one at a local show just last week--a raw copy with white pages. Looks to be a VG-VG/Fine. Got it for way less than guide too. I really enjoy seeing your collection of DC books!

Edited by Stevenrams

[/url]

Love your Superman 223. You're right; finding low-grade, well-presenting copies of this issue and other black covers are hard to find. Action Comics 229 is another tough black-issue cover. Finally found one at a local show just last week--a raw copy with white pages. Looks to be a VG-VG/Fine. Got it for way less than guide too. I really enjoy seeing your collection of DC books!

Those are some nice books to have! As far as Action 218 being innovative,it has to be one of the earlier Superman covers with a gorilla, given its from 1956. Who knew that gorilla covers would be that popular and continue to appear well into the Silver Age. :applause:

[/url]

Love your Superman 223. You're right; finding low-grade, well-presenting copies of this issue and other black covers are hard to find. Action Comics 229 is another tough black-issue cover. Finally found one at a local show just last week--a raw copy with white pages. Looks to be a VG-VG/Fine. Got it for way less than guide too. I really enjoy seeing your collection of DC books! [/quote

Those are some nice books to have! As far as Action 218 being innovative,it has to be one of the earlier Superman covers with a gorilla, given its from 1956. Who knew that gorilla covers would be that popular and continue to appear well into the Silver Age. :applause:

Strange Adventures #8 in 1951 is very early gorilla cover as is issue 45 of the same title which appeared in 1954. I'm not sure which is the first DC book with a gorilla cover but perhaps a boardie can pass on that info to the rest of us.

Thanks, one of these days I'll be better organized with my collection, and be able to post something that I didn't just buy last week.

Action 229 is definitely on my wantlist, and in about the condition you bought. Congrats. Wish I could find some books like that locally, I've been buying mostly in online auctions lately.

You've got me there, I didn't take into account the release date. I just love how many gorilla covers there are out there.

Another thing I've been enjoying is just how many of the stories in these books I've been buying I had already read over the years, in reprints like the big 100-pagers and the like.

Strange Adventures #8 in 1951 is very early gorilla cover as is issue 45 of the same title which appeared in 1954. I'm not sure which is the first DC book with a gorilla cover but perhaps a boardie can pass on that info to the rest of us.

According to The Gorilla Age of Comics , Strange Adventures #8 was indeed the first. Don't know how definitive this fellow might be, but that's pretty early in any case.

According to The Gorilla Age of Comics , Strange Adventures #8 was indeed the first. Don't know how definitive this fellow might be, but that's pretty early in any case.

Cool list, but it's missing Adventure 295 and Superman 138, two great Gorilla covers. Given it only took a few minutes to find those missing books there are probably even more missing. Still it's a good starting point should one desire to focus on books with gorilla covers.

Cool list, but it's missing Adventure 295 and Superman 138, two great Gorilla covers. Given it only took a few minutes to find those missing books there are probably even more missing. Still it's a good starting point should one desire to focus on books with gorilla covers.

adv295.jpg

sm138.jpg

Yeah, I noticed the list wasn't complete - it doesn't include the Action 223 I posted here - but then I looked again, and the list is just those books that he has in his collection.

He also says he's actively looking for others for his collection, so maybe Silver can send those two he posted above so the guy's list can be more complete. :lol: