• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman Family Collecting Thread!
3 3

1,567 posts in this topic

From pre-SA to early SA and right through to later SA, DC would publish books with delicate purple covers, not really considering the problems they would eventually cause for 21st century collectors!

Some examples.

511c4302-5c26-4e3a-9de8-1766e9be835c_zps618666d0.jpg

b508eafd-e1d0-4ccf-9579-c1bb7a5fc993_zps54057098.jpg

5e22a414-8bd6-44ef-82a8-5973ddf8ac20_zpsecff4f6f.jpg

The burnt orange background on this book is both unusual and effective.

89953eb0-f7cb-4b40-97fd-c9acef0a3288_zpsc8dbc27e.jpg

Adventure Comics 232 deslabbed by the seller (CGC 8.0 OW). Been looking for this book for a very long time, too.

227_zps7997010c.jpg

Pretty much every issue of Adventure Comics from the mid 1950s has an impressive cover. Your #232 is very nice indeed.

I agree! It's covers like these that caused me to start collecting the pre-Legion Adventure Comics as well even though Superboy titles weren't exactly at the top of my hit parade as a kid.

:cool:

Edited by Hepcat

005_zps13d6efc1.jpg

Oh man! I don't think I've ever even seen that one live at a show and here you've got an absolutely fabulous shiny pink copy!

018_zps64050388.jpg

019_zps5c0c8ffc.jpg

What a magnificent pair! That's like Chesty Morgan in a comic thread.

:cool:

Edited by Hepcat

Re: Action Comics 212. Aside from the great cover, the Superman story is one of the best you'll ever read. And that cool 1956 calendar is actually a part of the story. It's nice to find a book from this period in which the story is actualy just as good or even better than the cover. It's surprising that DC has never reprinted the story. I hope that changes, soon. I think that's why I leave it unslabbed.

Re: Action Comics 212. Aside from the great cover, the Superman story is one of the best you'll ever read. And that cool 1956 calendar is actually a part of the story. It's nice to find a book from this period in which the story is actualy just as good or even better than the cover. It's surprising that DC has never reprinted the story. I hope that changes, soon. I think that's why I leave it unslabbed.

.... if it has Wayne Boring art on the interior then it's actually sinful to slab it (tsk) ..... and I've only ever seen one other copy in person. The ADVENTURE you recently got..... you have no idea how close you came to not getting it..... for once I was actually first to the party lol ..... and I almost pulled the trigger.... who could have passed that up on the stands back in the day ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Both the cover and interior artist on the Adventure Comics 212 is Al Plastino. I know he wasn't a fan favorite but he was a very prolific artist and an all-around good guy and that counts for something, doesn't it? Passed on just a while ago. Superman fans will miss him.

Much to my delight I'm glad you did the hesitation twist on the Adventure Comcs 232. I've been looking for a decent copy of that book for about 15-20 years--if not longer. Almost a day doesn't go by that I don't look at it

Be well,

Steve

Adventure Comics 232 deslabbed by the seller (CGC 8.0 OW). Been looking for this book for a very long time, too.

227_zps7997010c.jpg

Pretty much every issue of Adventure Comics from the mid 1950s has an impressive cover. Your #232 is very nice indeed.

When I first saw your copy I thought it looks almost identical to mine.

3273d74c-e0ba-4b26-9162-7081ccbc48f4_zps2e8dd00c.jpg

005_zps13d6efc1.jpg

It is a great copy with spectacular pink background. There is an Adventure Comics with a similar pink. I will try to find it.

Here is the book I was thinking of. Adventure Comics #209, last pre-code issue.

The background color is not as similar as I thought.

9f131b31-8a58-419d-853c-680ae1adaa92_zps35cc528b.jpg

I think that's why I leave it unslabbed.

.... if it has Wayne Boring art on the interior then it's actually sinful to slab it (tsk)

Yes, I agree. Your Action 212 was born free and hopefully lives out the rest of its days outside of any plastic prison.

:)

Edited by Hepcat

First Lana cover:

sb11.jpg

What a way to endear yourself to a man! Be an absolute pest by trying to uncover his every secret. A tried and tested strategy later adopted by Lois Lane as well.

:eyeroll:

superman144.jpg

I have always liked that cover, and the stories are classic too!

I like the cover too...a lot. DC purples are unique. And as a background to the exploding planet the purple is nearly perfect.

Another classic purple cover. This isuue features the 4th Legion of Super Heroes appearance and the first by Superboy's best pal Pete Ross.

1689f1ba-75b8-4602-b046-0036f579bd87_zps71375e78.jpg

I love purple covers!!! :cloud9:

I really like them too! Carmine Infantino has been quoted as saying that comic publishers could count upon purple covers selling.

:preach:

Edited by Hepcat

This is the second Lana cover, 10 issues later, and the third. Look at how different Lana looked all three times. The 11 and 21 she looks like a woman, in 22 she looks more like the early teenager she is supposed to be. I think the image in #22 is what they settled on. The 21 is very tough to find in decent shape.

sb21.jpg

sb22.jpg

This is the second Lana cover, 10 issues later, and the third. Look at how different Lana looked all three times. The 11 and 21 she looks like a woman, in 22 she looks more like the early teenager she is supposed to be. I think the image in #22 is what they settled on. The 21 is very tough to find in decent shape.

sb21.jpg

sb22.jpg

Always enjoy seeing your early Superboy books, Silver. The #22 is especially nice.