• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman Family Collecting Thread!
3 3

1,567 posts in this topic

it's a good thing that Lana's bedroom has 14 ft ceilings so she can hang those giant pictures of Superboy.

Since you brought it up, what is Superboy doing in her bedroom?!?!

it's a good thing that Lana's bedroom has 14 ft ceilings so she can hang those giant pictures of Superboy.

Since you brought it up, what is Superboy doing in her bedroom?!?!

:shy:

Several months before their first Adventure Comics meeting Kal and Kara had a family get-together in the pages of Superboy #80.

This cover is one of my favorites and for many years was hard to find.

9c371e0d-0bc6-4e84-a1ad-b132f5157373_zps9d18762c.jpg

Supergirl's red skirt makes me wonder whether Mort Weisinger was still experimenting with her costume at this point or whether the colorist just screwed up.

???

Not a first of any kind unless it's the first time Lois goes to prison but I love the DC Greens and single-digit Lois Lane Comics are difficult to find in HG.

LL6_zpsa36c960c.jpg

Beautiful copy Steve. :cloud9: Your collection continues to amaze!!

I'll only add that it's a good thing that I purchased many of these books in the 1970s-1990s. Couldn't afford them today at current market prices. I'm not sure about this but I think books like the Lois Lane were harder to locate in the days before the internet.

Oh absolutely! Early Silver Age DCs were nearly impossible to find in the days before the internet. Oh sure, the prices quoted in Overstreet were low, but nobody had them. I longed for an opportunity to pay the prices I saw in Overstreet but such opportunities rarely came. That's why I'm particularly impressed with the success you had in acquiring so many high grade Silver Age DCs in those lean years.

:applause:

Here's a book one doesn't see very often. I'm okay with the mid-grade here. I bought it raw as well as a reprint for the cover intrigued me. The dealer claimed it would come back as a 6.0 with nice PQ and he was spot on. Been looking for a HG but haven't had any luck. Price was right anyway. Also, you have to go way back to Action Comics 18 to find the last issue without Superman on the cover.

Love the book!!

026_zpsfccd3af7.jpg

Superman Comics in the teens are among the toughest to find even in mid-grade and definitely in HG. I don't have a lot but this is my highest graded copy. I believe it's the highest graded copy in CGC's population Census.

009_zpsd1f41622.jpg

Here's a book one doesn't see very often. I'm okay with the mid-grade here. I bought it raw as well as a reprint for the cover intrigued me. The dealer claimed it would come back as a 6.0 with nice PQ and he was spot on. Been looking for a HG but haven't had any luck. Price was right anyway. Also, you have to go way back to Action Comics 18 to find the last issue without Superman on the cover.

Love the book!!

026_zpsfccd3af7.jpg

Action 210 is :cloud9:

Action210.jpg

Love the book!!

026_zpsfccd3af7.jpg

Action210.jpg

That is a beautiful copy, Adam. The colors on my copy are almost as sharp as yours in hand. I need to adjust the colors to accurately represent the colors on the book. I've been looking for a copy similar to yours but HG copies of 1955 Action Comics are hard to come by. One day, perhaps. Congrats on locating one.

Edited by Stevenrams

Love the book!!

026_zpsfccd3af7.jpg

Action210.jpg

Mine's not as nice as these two, but I've got one, too!

Action210_zps4b014b7b.jpg

Superman Comics in the teens are among the toughest to find even in mid-grade and definitely in HG. I don't have a lot but this is my highest graded copy. I believe it's the highest graded copy in CGC's population Census.

009_zpsd1f41622.jpg

Nice one. I hesitate at times to post some of mine, as there are some rough ones, and none of them are as nice as many of the ones posted here. But then I remember, if I went for higher grades, I wouldn't have 52+ years straight of Action and Superman, either!

So, here's my copy, it actually isn't half bad:

Superman119_zpsce815eb4.jpg

From pre-SA to early SA and right through to later SA, DC would publish books with delicate purple covers, not really considering the problems they would eventually cause for 21st century collectors!

Some examples.

511c4302-5c26-4e3a-9de8-1766e9be835c_zps618666d0.jpg

b508eafd-e1d0-4ccf-9579-c1bb7a5fc993_zps54057098.jpg

5e22a414-8bd6-44ef-82a8-5973ddf8ac20_zpsecff4f6f.jpg

I like the purple backgrounds, too. Here's a few I already have scanned:

action239_001_zps2b72f04a.jpg

Supes136_001_zps65474f1a.jpg

Supes144_zpsde1742d7.jpg

superman152001_zps11bf43e4.jpg

Both the cover and interior artist on the Adventure Comics 212 is Al Plastino. I know he wasn't a fan favorite but he was a very prolific artist and an all-around good guy and that counts for something, doesn't it? Passed on just a while ago. Superman fans will miss him.

Much to my delight I'm glad you did the hesitation twist on the Adventure Comcs 232. I've been looking for a decent copy of that book for about 15-20 years--if not longer. Almost a day doesn't go by that I don't look at it

Be well,

Steve

..... believe it or not, I was thinking about you guys here when I decided to hold back on pulling the trigger. A Fine will do me some day..... I just kind of knew it belonged to one of you.... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Nice to see this thread get so much activity lately. Steve mentioned Superman's in the teens, I agree they are great books:

Everyone likes the dark blue and purple covers:

sm114.jpg