• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman Family Collecting Thread!
3 3

1,567 posts in this topic

(worship)

action242.jpg

Awesome Action 242. The Brainaic covers of this era are SWEET. (thumbs u

Late last year I ran into road construction on the way home from work. The next

thing I new, I was going by a nearby LCS. :flamed: I stopped in and found Superman #108.

The next week I bid on and won #109 on E-Bay. These two books, as many know,

are the dividing line between G.A. and S.A. for the Superman title.

Even in this ragged condition, I was very surprised to find Superman 108 in a LCS.

SUPS_108.jpg

SUPS_109.jpg

More Brainiac goodness! He really wasn't on very many covers, or stories. Unless I am mistaken, these next four covers are all he is on for about a 8 year period after his first appearance in Action 242.

act275.jpg

When I have a white cover like that I really want a bone white bright copy. That copy is okay, but it's not a book you can easily upgrade.

I have said it bedore, I will say it again, Superman 160-169 is the best 10 issue run in the entire silver age. The stories and Curt Swan art are at thier peak.

When I have a white cover like that I really want a bone white bright copy. That copy is okay, but it's not a book you can easily upgrade.

I have said it bedore, I will say it again, Superman 160-169 is the best 10 issue run in the entire silver age. The stories and Curt Swan art are at thier peak.

A search on E-bay this morning confirms the white cover on issue 167 is indeed a tough find. I would say the Superman books from around #132 to about 170 are my favorites of the S.A. In the 130's there is a cross over period where both Swan and Boring are doing the artwork, along with Al Plastino. Swan seems to have taken over the cover art from around issue 117. See #138 in GCD for the details on Titano the Super Ape & #139 for The new life of Super-Merman for prime examples. The cover for 132 is also awesome. What would Superman's other life have been if Krypton had not exploded? (thumbs u

These two books, as many know,

SUPS_108.jpg

SUPS_109.jpg

What was the dividing event? I can't see any noteworthy change from one cover to the next.

???

Yes, It's a bugger to find in pristine shape alright.

:frustrated:

These two books, as many know,

SUPS_108.jpg

SUPS_109.jpg

What was the dividing event? I can't see any noteworthy change from one cover to the next.

???

The dividing line is arbitrary, as the G.A ends as of September 1956, and the S.A begins as of October 1956. The Silver Age of comics begins with the publication of Showcase #4 in October 56, when the new Flash premiered. :cloud9:

In my opinion a better place to start, just for the Superman title would be #117 "The Man with the Zero Eyes", the first cover by Swan, or perhaps #121, "The Bride of Futureman" (this cover has the S.A. look) (thumbs u

If your interested I have the back issue of Comic Book Markeplace, where there is an article titled something like, "Carbon Dating the Silver Age of Comics". This might be only for DC books, if I recall correctly. I could check for their analysis on the Superman title.