• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

Just finished reading "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline last night. For those who haven't heard of it, it takes place in the techno-dystopian future of the 2040s, where a tech mogul (think Steve Jobs merged with Gary Gygax) obsessed with late 20th century pop culture dies and sets into motion a contest to claim his real-world riches inside of the all-encompassing virtual reality world he created.

It is an amazing book, the best I have read in years. For anyone who grew up with late '70s and '80s music, movies, videogames, computers, RPGs, comics, etc., the whole book is a tribute and love note to that period of geek culture. I agree with the reviewer who said that it felt like the book was written just for me. Just a smashing success, a stunning work of fiction. This book will make an astounding film if/when it is translated to the big screen.

I demand that everyone here read it. You won't be disappointed. :makepoint:

Thank you delekkerste for this recommendation!

Ready Player One was everything you say, and then some. Pure fun, great characters, and an ultra-cool adventure. :applause:

On one of the Quest "puzzles", I read right past it, moving along...

Not even thinking, an answer just popped into my mind from nowhere. Later on, when the solution was revealed, it made me feel extra-nerdy (and old) that I somehow guessed right. :blush:

Anyway, thanks again. It was a real treat. (thumbs u

I wish I had never read that book, so I could go back and read it again for the first time. Anyone who grew up in the late 70s or early 80s flat out needs to get it. So good.

Right now I am working my way through DarkMarket, an account of how credit card crackers/hackers made millions of dollars with cutting edge cybercrime. Also reading The Monster Show, an overview of horror in cinema, and Cavalier and Clay, because I couldn't bear to look at myself in the mirror anymore as a comic collector who hadn't read it.

This post intrigued me. Bought and just read chapter one of Ready Player One. Excellent so far.

Just finished reading "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline last night. For those who haven't heard of it, it takes place in the techno-dystopian future of the 2040s, where a tech mogul (think Steve Jobs merged with Gary Gygax) obsessed with late 20th century pop culture dies and sets into motion a contest to claim his real-world riches inside of the all-encompassing virtual reality world he created.

It is an amazing book, the best I have read in years. For anyone who grew up with late '70s and '80s music, movies, videogames, computers, RPGs, comics, etc., the whole book is a tribute and love note to that period of geek culture. I agree with the reviewer who said that it felt like the book was written just for me. Just a smashing success, a stunning work of fiction. This book will make an astounding film if/when it is translated to the big screen.

I demand that everyone here read it. You won't be disappointed. :makepoint:

Thank you delekkerste for this recommendation!

Ready Player One was everything you say, and then some. Pure fun, great characters, and an ultra-cool adventure. :applause:

On one of the Quest "puzzles", I read right past it, moving along...

Not even thinking, an answer just popped into my mind from nowhere. Later on, when the solution was revealed, it made me feel extra-nerdy (and old) that I somehow guessed right. :blush:

Anyway, thanks again. It was a real treat. (thumbs u

I wish I had never read that book, so I could go back and read it again for the first time. Anyone who grew up in the late 70s or early 80s flat out needs to get it. So good.

Right now I am working my way through DarkMarket, an account of how credit card crackers/hackers made millions of dollars with cutting edge cybercrime. Also reading The Monster Show, an overview of horror in cinema, and Cavalier and Clay, because I couldn't bear to look at myself in the mirror anymore as a comic collector who hadn't read it.

This post intrigued me. Bought and just read chapter one of Ready Player One. Excellent so far.

1st/1st of Ready Player One is durned expensive and hard to find! Damn my collecting obsession! :frustrated:

I'd like to read it...

Finishing up Stephen King's Salem's Lot.

Looking for another King book to read next.

If you haven't all ready read them. Check out the King

and Straub collaboration - The Talisman or start on the

The Dark Tower / Gunslingers series. All great reads!!!

(worship)

Right now I am working my way through DarkMarket, an account of how credit card crackers/hackers made millions of dollars with cutting edge cybercrime. Also reading The Monster Show, an overview of horror in cinema, and Kavalier and Clay, because I couldn't bear to look at myself in the mirror anymore as a comic collector who hadn't read it.

Fantastic Read! Chabon is the bee's knees

Book 4 of A song of ice and fire.

Gotta admit, it's a bit of a chore to read after Book 3.

I lost interest after book two. I find the characters so one dimensional. It reminds me of high school politics but with sex and dragons. All the bad guys are always bad and the good guys good.

Book 4 of A song of ice and fire.

Gotta admit, it's a bit of a chore to read after Book 3.

I read them as they came out, so there was a span of several years between book 4 and 5. By the time I read book 5 (which was a bit tedious), I'd forgotten everything that happened in book four and was a bit confused at times. If you are going to read the series, don't put any time in between reading them.

I have started reading the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan - I'm currently on book four and have loved every second of it.

Stop on book four! Seriously! It's all downhill from there.

After The Shadow Rising the dreaded Jordan idiosyncrasies really start to take over. Ridiculous amount of bickering between men and women, two page descriptions of the threadwork on a dress, endless amounts of Shaido killed in battle, new characters introduced with no resolution of old plot threads, trollocks who can slay bordermen taken down by Two Rivers housewives...it just gets ugly. The first three are some of my favorite books of all time, but the sequels are garbage. He should have stopped at Dragon Reborn, would have been a semi-natural close to the series.

I've been reading Comics General a lot lately. Don't know if it will stand the test of time, though. :cool:

I have started reading the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan - I'm currently on book four and have loved every second of it.

After The Shadow Rising the dreaded Jordan idiosyncrasies really start to take over. Ridiculous amount of bickering between men and women, two page descriptions of the threadwork on a dress, endless amounts of Shaido killed in battle, new characters introduced with no resolution of old plot threads, trollocks who can slay bordermen taken down by Two Rivers housewives...it just gets ugly. The first three are some of my favorite books of all time, but the sequels are garbage. He should have stopped at Dragon Reborn, would have been a semi-natural close to the series.

That kinda sucks - It came very highly recommended by a couple of friends. I'll give it a few more books as I am enjoying it right now, but if it gets as bad as you say, I'll probably give it up.

That kinda sucks - It came very highly recommended by a couple of friends. I'll give it a few more books as I am enjoying it right now, but if it gets as bad as you say, I'll probably give it up.

Best of luck. Let me know when you finish Crossroads of Twilight. :eek:

After The Shadow Rising the dreaded Jordan idiosyncrasies really start to take over. Ridiculous amount of bickering between men and women, two page descriptions of the threadwork on a dress,

I agree that the constant use of "smoothing her dress" does get annoying. lol

I don't think the series is as BAD as your saying though, there are a couple of books that I struggled with but I have still enjoyed the series as a whole and I am about to start book ten.

I'm currently reading "Coalescent" by Stephen Baxter, really interesting Sci-Fi concept... quite difficult to explain as it contains several storyline threads spanning centuries but all converging towards the end of the book.

I agree except for one book, "Wizard and Glass"... overly long and incredibly boring. Waste Land was excellent and Wolves of the Calla that followed but I really struggled to finish book 4. Really struggled.

3d24d838e8658eee5fd337037c03db98.JPG

This book was amazing, and put collecting comic books and Magic cards in a different perspective.

Anybody who is into collecting should give this book a try. (thumbs u

It was a fun read. I picked up Brimfield Rush by Bob Wyss afterwards, which goes a little more in-depth on the Brimfield flea market phenomenon. Not quite as good, but still worth reading.

I agree except for one book, "Wizard and Glass"... overly long and incredibly boring. Waste Land was excellent and Wolves of the Calla that followed but I really struggled to finish book 4. Really struggled.

That's interesting. I thought Wolves of the Calla was just awful. I loved the first one, liked the next two, tolerated four, and gave up after five.

The older I get, the more respect I have for Tolkien's craft. He mastered the most important lesson a writer can learn, know when to quit on a particular series. King, Jordan, Martin...can't say the same for them sadly.

After Salem's Lot I read The Shinning. I liked it. Salem's Lot was far better though.

I started Misery today. I will do the Stand next followed by the Dark Tower series.

After Salem's Lot I read The Shinning. I liked it. Salem's Lot was far better though.

I started Misery today. I will do the Stand next followed by the Dark Tower series.

You should leave I.T. till last, I really think its King's finest work.

Saying that I have The Stand, the extended edition. I have had this book in my possession for years and have not read it. I am waiting for the right time to delve into this book and I am really hoping it is as good as I.T. was.

I.T. remains the only book I have read more then once.

That's interesting. I thought Wolves of the Calla was just awful. I loved the first one, liked the next two, tolerated four, and gave up after five.

The older I get, the more respect I have for Tolkien's craft. He mastered the most important lesson a writer can learn, know when to quit on a particular series. King, Jordan, Martin...can't say the same for them sadly.

I enjoyed the Dark Tower series overall but felt let down by what was a cop-out ending. I have a friend who shares exactly the same opinion as you, he gave up after 5 as well.

I haven't read any of Martin's works. The Wheel of Time series I have enjoyed but again certain books are much better then others and now the series has been extended past book 13 by having this other guy come in... I'm not sure I am looking forward to it as much.

I agree with what your saying regarding Tolkien. I read the Hobbit with ease many years ago and it remains one of my favourite books. But it took me a whole year to read the Lord of the Rings, I really couldn't get on with it. I'm not a big fan of poetry and the book had a fare amount of it. I even read the Silmarillion as well.

Tolkien might have had the right idea about not delving farther into LOTR but I have to say, its not a trilogy of books I will ever revisit. I'd rather watch the movies.