• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

I am about half way through the Silmarillion. It's pretty good :applause:

i have this. will get around to it after i finish the LOTR trilogy.

Funny, I just finished The Hobbit today (3rd time reading it)! Can't wait for the movie...

I need to choose something to read next!

This is one of my favorite threads on the boards. I am a dedicated bookworm and love to note the books I finish as well as see what everyone else is reading. I am a pretty avid reader but some of the guys in this thread blow me away (both in consumption and content!)

I am also somewhat of a pathological list-maker and in collating my list of books I posted in this thread I found three that I had forgotten to post about! (yes I keep a handwritten list, too :blush: )

so here are all the books I have read since I posted my first book on 4/28/11 (that my faulty memory and double attempt at records keeping can account for!) :banana:

The ones I forgot to list are in blue!

Edited to add: I used to post my books read in this thread

until this one took over...

the books I read from that thread are:

6/7/10

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon

The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman

The Passage by Justin Cronin

No County for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy

The Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael Chabon and

The Shipping News by Annie Proulx

The Lost by Jack Ketchum

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz

Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King

4/12/11

4/28/11

Blackwater: The Rise of the World's Most Powerful Mercenary Army by Jeremy Scahill

A Game of Thrones by George R R Martin

A Clash of Kings by George R R Martin

A Storm of Swords by George R R Martin

A Feast for Crows by George R R Martin

REH Biography Blood & Thunder: The Life & art of Robert E Howard by Mark Finn.

The Psychopath Test: A Journey through the Madness Industry by Jon Ronson (author of The Men Who Stare at Goats)

The Truce at Bakura by Kathy Tyers

The Strain by Guillermo del Toro & Chuck Hogan

The Amber Spyglass by Phillip Pullman

Deadeye Dick by Kurt Vonnegut

Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut

A Dance with Dragons by George R R Martin

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Legacy of Ashes: A History of the CIA by Tim Weiner

The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson

The Devil Colony by James Rollins.

The Collector by John Fowles

Out of Space & Time by Clark Ashton Smith (Neville Spearman edition)

The Complete Stories of Phillip K Dick vol 1 King of the Elves (Subterranean Press)

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K LeGuin

I am about half way through the Silmarillion. It's pretty good :applause:

i have this. will get around to it after i finish the LOTR trilogy.

Funny, I just finished The Hobbit today (3rd time reading it)! Can't wait for the movie...

I need to choose something to read next!

lol. i finished the hobbit about two weeks ago. i'm about two hours from finishing fellowship of the ring, then i'll start on two towers.

after i finish the LOTR trilogy, i might read the post-willow books by claremont. also, i want to get into game of thrones.

Edited by Hawkman

A former student of mine's debut novel--"Origin"--just came out. It's in the Young Adult genre and has a print run of 250,000 copies. :whatthe: A figure 1/10 of this is a VERY respectable print run for a first-time author. Options for her book also recently got picked up in Hollywood. It's an insane back story, including how she wrote it last summer in 30 days.

Jessica Khoury is her name and she's only 22 years old. I just got a copy but haven't read it yet. Pia is the main character and she's raised in a compound by scientists in the Amazon jungle--and they're trying to make her immortal. She escapes. And the story goes from there...

has anyone read any star wars novels? any you would recommend?

Thrawn Trilogy is outstanding! I couldn't put them down and would strongly recommend them. If Lucas ever makes 7, 8, and 9 like I think he will, he already has his plot. Great books!

I have a friend who really likes a bounty hunter series.

Be careful though and check up on books before purchasing. There is a ton of garbage out there.

Thrawn Trilogy is outstanding! I couldn't put them down and would strongly recommend them. If Lucas ever makes 7, 8, and 9 like I think he will, he already has his plot. Great books!

I have a friend who really likes a bounty hunter series.

Be careful though and check up on books before purchasing. There is a ton of garbage out there.

The Thrawn trilogy is, without a doubt where you should start if you havent read, or have not read much, Star Wars stuff.

After that there is an entire library of great stuff to read.

The Yuuzhan Vong run is unbelievable as is the Fate of the Jedi and New Jedi Order run.

The last few have been Series novels. Continuing some and finding new ones.

Dark of the Moon by John Sandford (Virgil Flowers #1) - Having read all his Prey series and Kidd series, moving on. Sandford does perfect beats and rich characters like no other.

Wit'ch Gate by James Clemens (The Banned and the Banished #4) - Epic LOTRish type saga. Each volume gets better, with one more to go.

Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan (Takeshi Kovacs #1) - Made me realize just how much I miss well written cyberpunk.

Succubus On Top by Richelle Mead (Georgina Kincaid #2) - Smooth solid urban fantasy with strong world-building and character development. Demons, angels, vampires, gods, all present, with a smokin' hot succubus navigating damnation. More sit-com than soap opera, with a fun dark edge.

9780399154775.jpg9780345442642.jpg9780345457684.jpg9780821780787.jpg

I highly recommend the Han Solo trilogy by A.C. Crispin! (thumbs u

YES! That is also a great read. Gives a lot of background into Han's history and Crispin does and excellent job in fleshing out what makes Han tick.

Just finished The Midnight Road by Tom Piccirilli. Great writing, amazing read.

"Flynn remembered the night of his death more clearly than any other in his life."

How could you not enjoy fresh noir, when a main element is a '66 Dodge Charger? :cloud9: I'll definitely be checking out more of this guy's work.

51YcZ5JrmDL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Tom wrote a great article that appears in one of Brubaker's Criminal books. I'm going to fire up The Midnight Road on my Kindle tonight.

129903.jpg.bd95a2211d6ead1324026667ef24a32d.jpg

Just finished reading "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline last night. For those who haven't heard of it, it takes place in the techno-dystopian future of the 2040s, where a tech mogul (think Steve Jobs merged with Gary Gygax) obsessed with late 20th century pop culture dies and sets into motion a contest to claim his real-world riches inside of the all-encompassing virtual reality world he created.

It is an amazing book, the best I have read in years. For anyone who grew up with late '70s and '80s music, movies, videogames, computers, RPGs, comics, etc., the whole book is a tribute and love note to that period of geek culture. I agree with the reviewer who said that it felt like the book was written just for me. Just a smashing success, a stunning work of fiction. This book will make an astounding film if/when it is translated to the big screen.

I demand that everyone here read it. You won't be disappointed. :makepoint:

129998.jpg.4eb21262516d2d8f74c647d704206d50.jpg

Just finished reading "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline last night. For those who haven't heard of it, it takes place in the techno-dystopian future of the 2040s, where a tech mogul (think Steve Jobs merged with Gary Gygax) obsessed with late 20th century pop culture dies and sets into motion a contest to claim his real-world riches inside of the all-encompassing virtual reality world he created.

It is an amazing book, the best I have read in years. For anyone who grew up with late '70s and '80s music, movies, videogames, computers, RPGs, comics, etc., the whole book is a tribute and love note for that period of geek culture. I agree with the reviewer who said that it felt like the book was written just for me. Just a smashing success, a stunning work of fiction. This book will make an astounding film if/when it is translated to the big screen.

I demand that everyone here read it. You won't be disappointed. :makepoint:

Its going in my Kindle cue. Sounds like its right up my alley.

Just finished a book called "Market Forces" by Richard Morgan.

I really recommend this, very enjoyable reading.

Its set in London in the future where governments and wars are funded by global investment houses. London is part "Escape from new york" and part Blade Runner.

Tenders for new contracts or job positions are fought on the road by these Executives in Mad Max style duels.

Really cool book!

Since "Ready Player One", I've read:

The Book of Bond: Or Every Man His Own 007 by Lt.-Col. William "Bill" Tanner (pseudonym). A 1960s book which cribs from the original Fleming 007 novels and tells you how to look and live like James Bond. The gag is that it tells you how to be James Bond, down to the proper hair color, not just to adopt his style and preferences. A quick read and pretty funny.

Basquiat - Hatje Cantz, publisher. An exceptional art book from a recent Basquiat retrospective including a previously unpublished interview with the artist from 1985 and several short articles/essays, as well as more than 100 gorgeously reproduced photographs of some of his best work. Awesome, a must-own for admirers of the artist's work like myself.

Contemporary Art and Its Commercial Markets: A Report on Current Conditions and Future Scenarios - Maria Lind, Olav Velthuis, eds. A newly published compilation of essays on the contemporary art world and market. Probably only for die-hards like myself.

I'm currently reading "All the Money in the World: How the Forbes 400 Make - And Spend - Their Fortunes" by Peter Bernstein and Annalyn Swan. It was written just before the 2008 crash, but so far it's been a good read and provides a good perspective on the vision you have to have and the risks you have to take to make it to the highest levels in business. hm

Just finished last night one of my all time favorites: Dracula by Bram Stoker!

I honestly don't know what I'm going to read next, I might need to do some book shopping! :cloud9:

Whats your interest? Sci-Fi, Horror, Historical Fiction ??