• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

I couldn't. That was 50 pages of torture. :cry:

Have you ever tried to read "The Naked Lunch"?

Folks shouldn't bother.

No doubt. It's one I gave the "100 page" treatment to on multiple occassions.

It did help to have it hanging around back in college when hippie deadhead chicks were over.

So, I get about 20-30 free books a month from publishers. I think I may start a "want" list of sorts. I give some away to friends out here, but I think you guys would appreciate some. I may start listing the extra books when I get back from vacation, and the first ones to reply I'll send to. Sound good guys? I'll pay for media shipment too.

Does it ever come around to something the reader can have some type of connection to?

Confederacy of Dunces. Tried and failed three times. Just couldn't get into it, regardless of how many people told me how awesome it was.

Does it ever come around to something the reader can have some type of connection to?

Confederacy of Dunces. Tried and failed three times. Just couldn't get into it, regardless of how many people told me how awesome it was.

Horses for courses I guess, I loved Confederacy of Dunces but could never get into On

The Road, which many consider an absolute classic. (shrug)

Currently reading:

Around the World on $80 - Robert Christopher (a book from the '50s written by an American who traveled around the world post-WWII on the cheap - so far, it's very interesting, though I think the book is long out of print)

Finished the above book (a very interesting read on global culture, politics and tourism in the early 1950s) and am now 100 pages deep into Elizabeth Kostova's 2005 vampire novel "The Historian".

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through "The Historian" now, but am also concurrently reading Sean Condon's "My Dam Life" about he and his wife's experiences moving to Amsterdam in 1998. The former was too heavy to bring with me on my recent trip around the world, so I opted for the latter, lighter paperback book instead. I think I need a Kindle... hm

Given that I lived in Holland for half a year in 1999 and was a regular visitor to Amsterdam for many years afterward, I can easily relate to the author's experiences. I think the book would have limited appeal for people who don't have a deep interest in Holland, though.

Have any of you guys read World War Z?

I read about 50 pages of it and it never bonded with me, so I stopped reading it.

I don't like books that I have to MAKE myself read just for the sake of reading.

I put it down once or twice myself and then finally forced my way through it. It has its moments but overall meh to me

I read about 50 pages of it and it never bonded with me, so I stopped reading it.

I don't like books that I have to MAKE myself read just for the sake of reading.

I put it down once or twice myself and then finally forced my way through it. It has its moments but overall meh to me

I'm thinking I could use it as kindling. hm

Just finished the hunger games book 1.

Coincidentally, I just finished reading that over lunch. My wife borrowed the set from someone and couldn't put them down. I decided to give it a read, and quite enjoyed it.

I quit World War Z too and I'm not sure if I'll bother finishing. I thought it was because I started right on the heels of reading those Day By Day Armageddon books, which were excellent.

Just finished Deeper by Jeff Long. A hollow-earth tale with some extremely dark and visceral themes.

deeper_186x280.jpg

Horses for courses I guess, I loved Confederacy of Dunces but could never get into On

The Road, which many consider an absolute classic. (shrug)

One of my alltimers.

Folks shouldn't bother.

It did help to have it hanging around back in college when hippie deadhead chicks were over.

lol Yeah, I can see that.

Folks shouldn't bother.

Awesome Cronenberg movie though...

Folks shouldn't bother.

If you're into boinking typewriters. :baiting:

Folks shouldn't bother.

If you're into boinking typewriters. :baiting:

uh...I'm breathing ain't I?