• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hold onto your hats for the May Heritage auction....

377 posts in this topic

The next 100K candidate I'd wager is the Kirby splash page from Captain America #100 coming up in Clink's May auction:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview%2Easp%3Fcode%3D2011may%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26pg%3D14%23Item%5F883481&id=883481

Is that a joke? It has been listed a few times before and not sold.

The next 100K candidate I'd wager is the Kirby splash page from Captain America #100 coming up in Clink's May auction:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview%2Easp%3Fcode%3D2011may%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26pg%3D14%23Item%5F883481&id=883481

No, I was being sincere. Given that it's selling at no reserve, it will sell this time...

No, I was being sincere. Given that it's selling at no reserve, it will sell this time...

Um, if you're implying that this could sell for anywhere near 100k, you don't know the market. No offense, because there are many segments of the art market I'm not too savvy on myself, but the market value of this Kirby is a very small fraction of 100k.

Scott

No offense taken. I don't make any claims to knowing the original comic art market. I'm here to learn. As previously noted, page 8 from JIM 83:

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7023&Lot_No=93146

Which as you can see sold for a healthy fraction of 100K. A more important piece, to my mind, as a Journey Into Mystery collector.

It's not clear (at this time) that the Cap splash is being sold at no reserve. It's just being previewed. It hasn't sold in the numerous times it's been at auction, and while I (and others) appreciate the significance/novelty/nostalgia/it's a freakin' Kirby splash, I don't see it selling anywhere near $100k, or even a quarter of that amount.

The JIM page was from the issue that introduced Thor to the world. The page highlights him first learning how to use his hammer. Cap #100 is from Cap's first solo issue in the Marvel age, but he had been co-starring in Tales of Suspense for some time. To me (and I think many others), it's a huge difference.

A better comparison would be a page from Avengers #4 which reintroduced Cap to the world. Now, that page would be worth to me (and, again to many others) some serious coin.

Ron

If it really is selling at no reserve, then it will indeed sell, but nowhere close to $100K.

If it breaks the $100K mark, then we will know we`re truly in the Mother of All Bubbles.

It's not clear (at this time) that the Cap splash is being sold at no reserve. It's just being previewed. It hasn't sold in the numerous times it's been at auction, and while I (and others) appreciate the significance/novelty/nostalgia/it's a freakin' Kirby splash, I don't see it selling anywhere near $100k, or even a quarter of that amount.

The JIM page was from the issue that introduced Thor to the world. The page highlights him first learning how to use his hammer. Cap #100 is from Cap's first solo issue in the Marvel age, but he had been co-starring in Tales of Suspense for some time. To me (and I think many others), it's a huge difference.

A better comparison would be a page from Avengers #4 which reintroduced Cap to the world. Now, that page would be worth to me (and, again to many others) some serious coin.

Ron

That would be a better comparison, I agree. I wonder who owns that piece...

Ron

That would be a better comparison, I agree. I wonder who owns that piece...

Well there is also Strange Tales 114, but remember that Cap is a golden age character, so one of those splash pages that exist from Captain America 6 would be a good comparison

If this sells for over 100 K - I will eat my hat

If this sells for over 200 K - I will eat my shorts

Please post a video. I'm going to send you my shorts as well... you were that wrong.

375k + BP

Please post a video. I'm going to send you my shorts as well... you were that wrong.

375k + BP

That is some price...crazy even. hm

375k + BP

legendarily wrong! at that price the shorts should be unwashed :eek:

Hi Chris,

Many people consider this their favorite splash of the run. Personally, it's not my favorite, but I know that there are many out there who'll go to the mat for it.

But, hit over 200K? That I doubt.

Hari

I agree, it's not likely given the lack of data to date, but it's certainly not impossible.

I would be more shocked if it went under $125k than if it went $200k or over.

There are a couple of other splashes out there, that have gotten some pretty crazy private offers in the last 10 years. This is a really rare treat to see something of this magnitude move at no reserve for the world to see.

And I thought my 200k+ was optimistic. Holy !!!

Hi Chris,

Many people consider this their favorite splash of the run. Personally, it's not my favorite, but I know that there are many out there who'll go to the mat for it.

But, hit over 200K? That I doubt.

Hari

I agree, it's not likely given the lack of data to date, but it's certainly not impossible.

I would be more shocked if it went under $125k than if it went $200k or over.

There are a couple of other splashes out there, that have gotten some pretty crazy private offers in the last 10 years. This is a really rare treat to see something of this magnitude move at no reserve for the world to see.

And I thought my 200k+ was optimistic. Holy !!!

Yeah, that's nucking futs.... I just saw the price when I got home, not that I would have been able to be remotely in the running for it, but wow. :o :o :o

Two questions now:

1. Who got it?

2. What's next to come out of the woodwork to come close to rivaling that price?

Later!