• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hold onto your hats for the May Heritage auction....

377 posts in this topic

Not that I could pay $430+K for a pen and ink drawing, but there are lots of pieces that I'd rather have than that one.

Still, I did call it as a potential record on Heritage:

Fred Ray's / Jerry Robinson's Batman 11 went for $195K in 2005 in a Heritage Auction.

Miller's cover for DD 188 went for $101K in 2010.

I'd say this has a chance to set a new Heritage record. :)

but I was thinking $300K tops.

I'm speechless. That's a lot of money for a piece of paper.

Not that I could pay $430+K for a pen and ink drawing, but there are lots of pieces that I'd rather have than that one.

Still, I did call it as a potential record on Heritage:

Fred Ray's / Jerry Robinson's Batman 11 went for $195K in 2005 in a Heritage Auction.

Miller's cover for DD 188 went for $101K in 2010.

I'd say this has a chance to set a new Heritage record. :)

but I was thinking $300K tops.

I'm speechless. That's a lot of money for a piece of paper.

There are plenty of pieces of paper that have sold for plenty more $$ than this. :gossip:

And for all those with lists of art they'd rather have for the money than this, remember ...art is subjective!

Actually, I didn't buy from Albert. He got books 2 and 3 from Klaus Janson and I bought my piece from a guy who called himself Scott Free and was selling them at SD back in 87 on behalf of Frank Miller who had kept books 1 and 4. Albert sold a lot of his in Chicago that same summer. As I have told several times, I got my splash (and a page I later traded) from this guy and he had a stack of the art on a table. I have an old photo I took that is a little grainy of Scott Free standing behind the booth holding one of the other splashes in his hands up over his head. Interestingly to me, he had the other Batman/horse splash there from book 4 and apparently thought it was the better one since it was 30% more than what I paid for mine (admittedly both at what now seem like ridiculously cheap prices, but back then I can tell you it was a serious chunk of change in my world) Benno

Benno, after the Heritage splash sold for $448,000, you must be SERIOUSLY considering selling your own splash? hm

If this sells for over 100 K - I will eat my hat

If this sells for over 200 K - I will eat my shorts

Please post a video. I'm going to send you my shorts as well... you were that wrong.

375k + BP

legendarily wrong! at that price the shorts should be unwashed :eek:

At that price....the shorts should belong to someone with diarrhea!!!! :P

That is incredible. Basically double the higher predictions in this thread.

I wish I had a splash from the series. I'd pay Heritage to set up another Signature Auction pronto. :grin:

Early on a Friday to come back. Mods are still online and haven't gone for the weekend..

I'm sorry but this price seems absolutely ridiculous. Granted I'm not a connoisseur of Miller art but I didn't even think this piece ranked at the top of Miller pieces artistically speaking. And a splash to boot.

I'd be curious what you could buy for $500k by a Renaissance master? Anyone know? Granted it wouldn't have a super-hero depicted :/

Wow Batman went $375k + BP

I'm sorry but this price seems absolutely ridiculous. Granted I'm not a connoisseur of Miller art but I didn't even think this piece ranked at the top of Miller pieces artistically speaking. And a splash to boot.

I'd be curious what you could buy for $500k by a Renaissance master? Anyone know? Granted it wouldn't have a super-hero depicted :/

Wow Batman went $375k + BP

If you put a cape on a lot of Michelangelo drawings, you'd have a superhero. They're pretty buff.

PS. It's funny. Whether the piece is published or not has little impact on me. I know that I'm in the minority there as well, but it does open options to me. :)

It`s too bad more OA collectors don`t share this view. Then OA might get more respect from the fine art world.

Good point. I can't recall hearing anyone in the fine art world saying that Van Gogh "irises" would have been worth more if it had been published in a calendar when it was first painted, instead of decades later.

I still can't fathom in my skull how this piece sells for more than the cover to WSF 29. It's like waking up and finding out that a 5'5" housewife who has never touched a basketball beat Michael Jordan in a game of 1-1 on National TV. :insane::fear:

Does not compute. :screwy:

I still can't fathom in my skull how this piece sells for more than the cover to WSF 29. It's like waking up and finding out that a 5'5" housewife who has never touched a basketball beat Michael Jordan in a game of 1-1 on National TV. :insane::fear:

Does not compute. :screwy:

Is she hot? :wishluck:

You know, this wasn't a sweeping statement on the value of comic art... it was two rich fan boys fighting it out for a cool piece of nostalgia --

Was it really just between two rich fan boys? At what price was it just the two fellas going at it?

You know, this wasn't a sweeping statement on the value of comic art... it was two rich fan boys fighting it out for a cool piece of nostalgia --

Was it really just between two rich fan boys? At what price was it just the two fellas going at it?

Those watching live saw that the bidding after around 220K was just two bidders going back and forth.