• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FANTASTIC FOUR 26 CGC 9.4

202 posts in this topic

Realizing I am spooning in somebody sales thread, something I don't normally approve of, I feel it must be stated in the spirit of maintining integrity of Board Sales. This book was just purchased 6 weeks ago for 3,777. Please don't try and pass off this sale as an act of kindness for a little girl and goodwill toward Board members. It's a flip for triple your money in 6 weeks.

I dont know who this guy is, and it doesn't matter. This is bad form in a sales thread. You are allowed to ask any price you want for any book you want. This guy may be the worlds worst, or he may be just what he says he is, but it really shouldn't matter.

Since the topic is closed, I figure it is OK to comment now. I would have to say a big thank you to bomber-bob on this one. If the book was just posted with an asking price, I think Dale may have a point. :juggle: However, there was a nice story put forward in the post and an implication that "a lower price" was being offered as a favor to the boards before father and daughter tried their hand at eBay. With what seems to be a disingenuous story at best, I feel the comment was more than appropriate.

+1

No one here is against the free market, but people see this as a community. And putting up a book at over 2 1/2 times the price you paid 2 months later isn't very community-friendly - it's outright greedy. Especially if it's coming from someone who rarely posts and does not have any history as a seller.

What if he'd bought it for $5 at a garage sale and just got it back from CGC? Would it be greedy to ask fair market value?

No, I do not think so. Or more to the point it would be greed that I would not be as taken aback by. As I said before, a simple asking price with a description/picture and he could have asked $25k for all I cared (and I refrained from commenting either way until closed). Again, the issue I take is the sympathy evoking daughter story and the claim that it was offered at a special price for boardies. Re-read his first post and see what you think, but it left a bad feeling with me :shrug:

Of course, it is all entirely subjective and to each their own...just my two cents

Realizing I am spooning in somebody sales thread, something I don't normally approve of, I feel it must be stated in the spirit of maintining integrity of Board Sales. This book was just purchased 6 weeks ago for 3,777. Please don't try and pass off this sale as an act of kindness for a little girl and goodwill toward Board members. It's a flip for triple your money in 6 weeks.

I dont know who this guy is, and it doesn't matter. This is bad form in a sales thread. You are allowed to ask any price you want for any book you want. This guy may be the worlds worst, or he may be just what he says he is, but it really shouldn't matter.

Since the topic is closed, I figure it is OK to comment now. I would have to say a big thank you to bomber-bob on this one. If the book was just posted with an asking price, I think Dale may have a point. :juggle: However, there was a nice story put forward in the post and an implication that "a lower price" was being offered as a favor to the boards before father and daughter tried their hand at eBay. With what seems to be a disingenuous story at best, I feel the comment was more than appropriate.

+1

No one here is against the free market, but people see this as a community. And putting up a book at over 2 1/2 times the price you paid 2 months later isn't very community-friendly - it's outright greedy. Especially if it's coming from someone who rarely posts and does not have any history as a seller.

What if he'd bought it for $5 at a garage sale and just got it back from CGC? Would it be greedy to ask fair market value?

No, I do not think so. Or more to the point it would be greed that I would not be as taken aback by. As I said before, a simple asking price with a description/picture and he could have asked $25k for all I cared (and I refrained from commenting either way until closed). Again, the issue I take is the sympathy evoking daughter story and the claim that it was offered at a special price for boardies. Re-read his first post and see what you think, but it left a bad feeling with me :shrug:

Of course, it is all entirely subjective and to each their own...just my two cents

I'm saying the same thing Snake is saying, I was just a bit harsher (maybe too harsh) in my language. Greedy is the wrong word - this whole thing just felt like someone trying to pull a fast one on us, and I think Bob's comment was aimed at protecting the community, which I support.

If you don't like his book, or if you don't like his thread, simply move on to another one.

Bad form? ... like this?

Shoot the cat, keep the books

+1

I think when he said lower price he just meant lower than what he's going to list it for on eBay if it doesn't sell here. But, like you, I would have just listed the book with no commentary.

What a weird thread. Definitely not the lessons i was learning as a kid.

:P And look how you turned out....

doh!:D

More or less in agreement then :foryou:

It is a delicate line to tread, but in this case I did appreciate the heads up.

Thanks to all of you that had my back on this one. I can assure you had the Seller simply listed his book without the added commentary I would not have posted. It was indeed a delicate line to tread but I felt I did the right thing. There were additional comments I wanted to make about his price but refrained as he can indeed ask whatever he wants.

More or less in agreement then :foryou:

It is a delicate line to tread, but in this case I did appreciate the heads up.

Thanks to all of you that had my back on this one. I can assure you had the Seller simply listed his book without the added commentary I would not have posted. It was indeed a delicate line to tread but I felt I did the right thing. There were additional comments I wanted to make about his price but refrained as he can indeed ask whatever he wants.

Implied it, but more directly put...thanks for the fair warning (thumbs u

No it wouldn't, but neither one of those things happend.

Your daughter bought this book on January 18th, 2011, for $3777.00?

I think my dad gave me two dollars the last time I fell and got hurt. I bought a FF #25 with it. I invested my money wisely also.

I ask, because I am apparently owed some money. As a child, I obtained several injuries during falls. No one ever gave me money for them, except my parents and grandparents with their token dollar bills.

P.S. I have a companion book to this one for sale. It is a raw 9.4 FF #25 (see above). I will sell it to my fellow boardies at a lower price than I will ask on Ebay or ComicLink. You can have it for $10,000.00 (since it is not slabbed and since my grading usually sucks). For $100.00 up front, I will provide a scan of said book. I ain't going to all of that trouble of scanning and uploading pics for nothing.

PM if interested. :)

Seems like a perfectly honest chap to me.

Damn! I just finished counting my rolled pennies collection and it only adds up to $10,987!

I'm $13 short! :ohnoez:

Opportunity lost. :cry::frustrated:

P.S. I have a companion book to this one for sale. It is a raw 9.4 FF #25 (see above). I will sell it to my fellow boardies at a lower price than I will ask on Ebay or ComicLink. You can have it for $10,000.00 (since it is not slabbed and since my grading usually sucks). For $100.00 up front, I will provide a scan of said book. I ain't going to all of that trouble of scanning and uploading pics for nothing.

hm

Your daughter bought this book on January 18th, 2011, for $3777.00?

I think my dad gave me two dollars the last time I fell and got hurt. I bought a FF #25 with it. I invested my money wisely also.

I ask, because I am apparently owed some money. As a child, I obtained several injuries during falls. No one ever gave me money for them, except my parents and grandparents with their token dollar bills.

I'll buy that for a dollar.

Good. You've learned a lesson about free enterprise, circa 21st century.

Get a lawyer. lol

No it wouldn't, but neither one of those things happend.

I didn't say it did. I was responding to this phrase...

Putting up a book at over 2 1/2 times the price you paid 2 months later isn't very community-friendly - it's outright greedy.

+1

Guy just bought an Action 10 for $200.00 on Ebay in the area of G condition. The book will be worth substantially more, if it is sold for more then $500.00 by the new owner, then what?

+1

Guy just bought an Action 10 for $200.00 on Ebay in the area of G condition. The book will be worth substantially more, if it is sold for more then $500.00 by the new owner, then what?

Then there's no problem. But if Bob says his $5K asking price was chosen to teach his injured daughter about free enterprise, I'll be the first to bust on him for it. :roflmao: