• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Politically incorrect covers!

129 posts in this topic

sfcityduck, I will agree regarding how many Asian-Americans lived in the West. But then, as now, the majority of the population of the United States is not in the West. In 1939, how many Asians lived in Kansas, Mississippi, North Carolina, Wisconsin, etc...?

I AM hopeful that things won't happen like that again. The world is much smaller now. We converse with people globally now. Most likely, anyone that is reading this right now is reading something from someone not in their hometown, and maybe not even in their home country. I routinely trade collectibles with people from the former East Germany, Romania, Estonia, Latvia, and Russia. Would this have been possible forty years ago when I was a child? Not likely.

I think this is a wonderful thing. Even just as a collector, I have so much more access to things that I never thought possible. And yes, I am extremely optimistic about this world and all of us in it.

sfcityduck, I will agree regarding how many Asian-Americans lived in the West. But then, as now, the majority of the population of the United States is not in the West. In 1939, how many Asians lived in Kansas, Mississippi, North Carolina, Wisconsin, etc...?

All in all, I doubt that the distribution of Asians in the U.S. has changed that much over the past 70 years so you can get a pretty good view of that distribution on this map

179465287.gif

but, at the same time, please notice that the concentration of Asians does mirror fairly well the distribution of the U.S. population so that, you've got to agree that, knowing a person of Asian origin would not have been that drastically rarer in the '30's than it is today. Certainly, it has increases but not to the extent we might think.

Here's a Person per Square Mile map that under-represent California since it's a huge state, but the distribution mirrors that of Asians fairly well -

179462304.gif

the WW II era stuff differentiates between chinese and japanese. in the "how to spot a jap" comic/instruction pamphlet given out by the u.s. military, japanese are portrayed as something slightly above a chimp and chinese are depicted as lovely exotic bronze skinned valiant folk. by 1950 I'm sure the comics had changed with the korean war.

while it is good for demonizing/dehumanizing one's enemies (and I have seen some fanged germans portrayed, but not nearly as much as japanese), presumably making it easier for young soldiers to pull the trigger (or drop bombs on civilians) without thinking too hard about it, this sort of propoganda also may result in those same young men way underestimating their adversaries. afterall, the typical japanese soldier was way less afraid of being on the receiving end of a bullet than the typical american soldier.

i'm not sure how americans were portrayed on the japanese end. presumably as some sort of savage hairy barbarians.

a chinese fellow and a man of the jewish faith were playing a round of golf, with pretty good stakes. at the turn, the chinese man was considerably up. his foe snuck around behind him on the green, and kayoed him with his putter.

when the guy came to, he asked "what was that for"? the jewish fellow replied, "that, my friend, was for pearl harbor." the poor chinese guy said, "that was the japanese--i'm CHINESE!" the assailant responded---"chinese, japanese, what the hell's the difference?"

on the tee of the 15th, the tables had been significantly turned, no doubt due to the blow to the head, and the chinese guy pressed. as the jewish golfer addressed his ball, the chinese dude came around behind him and clocked him with his big bertha driver. when the jewish man found his wits, he of course asked why the chinese man hit him. the response: "that, my man, was for the sinking of the titanic."

"the titanic? what are you talking about, it was sunk by an iceberg!"

"iceberg, goldberg, what the hell's the difference?"

I started to write a long letter about world politics and solutions to the food shortages and energy problems but remembered that no politics on the boards is the policy. Bring this over to the GCD chat group if you want to continue. Over there, Jerry and George and others used to argue for days and people were split into conservative and liberal philosophies. Here we post comics.

the WW II era stuff differentiates between chinese and japanese. in the "how to spot a jap" comic/instruction pamphlet given out by the u.s. military, japanese are portrayed as something slightly above a chimp and chinese are depicted as lovely exotic bronze skinned valiant folk. by 1950 I'm sure the comics had changed with the korean war.

while it is good for demonizing/dehumanizing one's enemies (and I have seen some fanged germans portrayed, but not nearly as much as japanese), presumably making it easier for young soldiers to pull the trigger (or drop bombs on civilians) without thinking too hard about it, this sort of propoganda also may result in those same young men way underestimating their adversaries. afterall, the typical japanese soldier was way less afraid of being on the receiving end of a bullet than the typical american soldier.

i'm not sure how americans were portrayed on the japanese end. presumably as some sort of savage hairy barbarians.

a chinese fellow and a man of the jewish faith were playing a round of golf, with pretty good stakes. at the turn, the chinese man was considerably up. his foe snuck around behind him on the green, and kayoed him with his putter.

when the guy came to, he asked "what was that for"? the jewish fellow replied, "that, my friend, was for pearl harbor." the poor chinese guy said, "that was the japanese--i'm CHINESE!" the assailant responded---"chinese, japanese, what the hell's the difference?"

on the tee of the 15th, the tables had been significantly turned, no doubt due to the blow to the head, and the chinese guy pressed. as the jewish golfer addressed his ball, the chinese dude came around behind him and clocked him with his big bertha driver. when the jewish man found his wits, he of course asked why the chinese man hit him. the response: "that, my man, was for the sinking of the titanic."

"the titanic? what are you talking about, it was sunk by an iceberg!"

"iceberg, goldberg, what the hell's the difference?"

:tonofbricks:

why is WW smiling and winking? is she into that sort of stuff?

A nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat. Knowhatimean?

say n'more, say n'more!

You sir, are a man of taste and distinction! (worship)

Bring this over to the GCD chat group if you want to continue.... Here we post comics.

Well I don't know about you but I just want to see covers that will make me wince and smirk at the same time.

:/

By the way, I realize these are outside the topic's boundaries, and I hope they don't violate board policy, but these are some of the most politically incorrect publications I've ever seen. (Circa about 1964.) Plus there's a tie-in with recent Crime SuspenStories #22 discussions.

newmansstory.jpg

By the way, I realize these are outside the topic's boundaries, and I hope they don't violate board policy, but these are some of the most politically incorrect publications I've ever seen. (Circa about 1964.) Plus there's a tie-in with recent Crime SuspenStories #22 discussions.

newmansstory.jpg

Not quite as spicy, but these two qualify

TrueLifeSecrets23.jpg

YoungRom70.jpg

Jack

newmansstory.jpg

I just love the Nazi using a SAW to cut off the women's heads. And nothing like gorilla rape. These are incredible. I'd like to see more.

newmansstory.jpg

They remind me of the Eerie and Stanley pubs stuff from several years later, only done with a much more realistic line. Incredible that such mags had been around for many years (predating comics), and could be allowed on newstand shelves.

Makes Black Cat 50 and Weird Mysteries 5 seem almost benign in comparison.

newmansstory.jpg

They remind me of the Eerie and Stanley pubs stuff from several years later, only done with a much more realistic line. Incredible that such mags had been around for many years (predating comics), and could be allowed on newstand shelves.

After Wertham ruined the reputations of Baker, Whitman and other great artist, I guess this was the only kind of work they could find. Or maybe they just paid better than the struggling comic industry.

2584920629_c06e81c7f1_z.jpg

By the way, I realize these are outside the topic's boundaries....

newmansstory.jpg

Those fall within the boundaries of whatever topic I start! Call them pulps, call them men's adventure magazines, call them men's sweat magazines, whatever, I just wish I could find them in high grade. I'm surprised that there's not more of a collecting interest in this area. Great artwork!

(thumbs u

Still happens. Tale a good long look at the contents of some of the magazines found in grocery stores. The covers are less overt, of course, but the text can be XXX.