• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Early" Action Comics Club (#1-24)
9 9

1,479 posts in this topic

Another nice book I just picked up is this Action #14 3.0 blue label - NO Tape or missing chucks woohoo

I had almost pulled the trigger on an early Sandman cover, but this came up and I had always wanted some of the early Superman books, so jumped on it.

Judging by the FC, I'm not sure why that's only a 3.0... GREAT eye appeal on that one! :applause:

Thx

So I couldnt stand it and decided to crack the slab today. Glad I did as I enjoy reading these old DCs... they are 100x better than 90% of Timely IMHO.

Here are some pics if anyone is curious - cover is attached but by back part of cover paper. Overall, book appears solid w nice pages. There was a small 1/2" tear on an interior page otherwise nice book. I pd 1.5 guide but for this book it was worth it. Other copies Ive seen not near as nice or were 3x price.

Action 14 inside FC

Action 14 PQ

Action 14 BC

Another nice book I just picked up is this Action #14 3.0 blue label - NO Tape or missing chucks woohoo

I had almost pulled the trigger on an early Sandman cover, but this came up and I had always wanted some of the early Superman books, so jumped on it.

Judging by the FC, I'm not sure why that's only a 3.0... GREAT eye appeal on that one! :applause:

Thx

So I couldnt stand it and decided to crack the slab today. Glad I did as I enjoy reading these old DCs... they are 100x better than 90% of Timely IMHO.

Here are some pics if anyone is curious - cover is attached but by back part of cover paper. Overall, book appears solid w nice pages. There was a small 1/2" tear on an interior page otherwise nice book. I pd 1.5 guide but for this book it was worth it. Other copies Ive seen not near as nice or were 3x price.

Action 14 inside FC

Action 14 PQ

Action 14 BC

The Superman splash panel is great.

lol ... That's EXACTLY what I was going to post before I scrolled down.

Yes, great splash and I can see why it graded as a 3.0. I was going to say maybe it would be worth a resub but it was just graded in June of this year.

Very nice book nonetheless!

I don't believe that I've posted this copy here yet. It's lower grade for sure, with only a lot of tear seals in the way of restoration. I hope this qualifies as a ticket into the club (shrug)

action11.jpg

I don't often see copies of Action #11. :headbang:

Somebody walk me down from this. 2 or 3 years ago I bought a collection from a elderly gentleman who was selling his sons collection of 8 long boxes. The son was 40+ and out of state and told his dad to just get rid of them. Great stuff, all 1970s and 80s but still. Well it turns out that in the late 70's the dad brought then 14 year old Billy to a antique shop that had old comics. He bought the 1970s stuff for his son but there were also 1930's comics that the dad bought and thought were fantastic. Two of them were Star Comics that I sold here on the boards.

So I know the story is legit and not some karp we've all heard before about a stack of comics with the 1st appearance of blah blah blah all in perfect condition blah blah some more.

Anyway I call him yesterday, years after this initial deal, and he says that he found a handful more of comics from the 30's including an Action Comic "that is in really nice shape". He says it is dated 1937 (what?) I ask him what was on the cover and he says he thinks it was a pirate. OK, so it's not #1 but it very well could be #3. Or it could be something completely different, say Adventure 49 who knows.

Anyway, even if its issue 16 or whatever, I'm pretty stoked and can't wait to see the other 30's books. That stuff is just rare as can be. Of course, he is re-doing his basement so he wants to wait until the end of the month to have me over. Thus the mind races with fantasy books like a Suspense 3 or a nice Centaur.

So the anticipation is killing me. It's not a life changer but who doesn't get excited about a potential raw find like this.

Edited by ft88