• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Early" Action Comics Club (#1-24)
9 9

1,479 posts in this topic

I thought about calling her up to see if she had any more!! (shrug)

Probably just the first 17 issues. Oh wait, Pons already got that collection in the 90's. lol

He's got the photos in the album to prove it (thumbs u

:gossip: photoshopped (yes, even back in 1994)

Love that. (thumbs u

Me too. Love the kid dashing with his dime wanting "Superman". Is this a late 1930's early 40's memorabilia?

I'd say pre action 20 maybe as the triangular S on supe suggests pre 1940. Perhaps after issue 19 when he was on the cover every issue. Edited by Primetime

Love that. (thumbs u

Me too. Love the kid dashing with his dime wanting "Superman". Is this a late 1930's early 40's memorabilia?

I'd say pre action 20 maybe as the triangular S on supe suggests pre 1940. Perhaps after issue 19 when he was on the cover every issue.

That would makes sense. I see the slick, that Superman sales demand front display for Action Comics. I guess this could mean he should be in front of a display rack before the other titles or just starting on the cover of Action 19 as you mentioned.

Love that. (thumbs u

I'd say pre action 20 maybe as the triangular S on supe suggests pre 1940. Perhaps after issue 19 when he was on the cover every issue.

That would makes sense. I see the slick, that Superman sales demand front display for Action Comics. I guess this could mean he should be in front of a display rack before the other titles or just starting on the cover of Action 19 as you mentioned.

or it could be post Action 13/Supe 1 era because at least Supe had his own title by then. It would seem DC would have started the consecutive Supe covers in Action at that point--why they waited til Issue 19 not sure as high sales data and a Supe titled mag would have made sense to throw him on every cover at that point.

It would be cool to walk into a drug store in late 39/early 40 and see this sign posted near a comic rack :) the power of a dime back then :)

I'm wondering if this ad was originally a poster or metal sign of some sort? Unless it was a DC house ad in a comic? I've never seen it in a comic..

looks like a flyer made specifically for and sent only to newsstands advising them on how to increase sales with kids looking for the hot new Superman, even tho he wasnt on the cover.. which would place this specifically in the time period where DC knew sales were up, and were JUST making plans to increase Supermans visibility on all subsequent Action covers. That would make it 2-3 months before Action 19, right?

sales returns sure were slow back then..

looks like a flyer made specifically for and sent only to newsstands advising them on how to increase sales with kids looking for the hot new Superman, even tho he wasnt on the cover.. which would place this specifically in the time period where DC knew sales were up, and were JUST making plans to increase Supermans visibility on all subsequent Action covers. That would make it 2-3 months before Action 19, right?

sales returns sure were slow back then..

It's been awhile since I looked at my copies of this, but looking at it now this is pretty fun. The June 21, 1941 Saturday Evening Post contains a relatively detailed account of what they call "The Rise Of Superman Inc".

An excerpt pertinent to this discussion:

Superman appeared in the first issue of Action Comics, June, 1938. Nothing happened. Nor the second issue, for which the partners received another $130. Nor the third. But with the fourth, Action Comics spurted mysteriously ahead of its fellow publication. Donenfeld heard the rumble of distant drums. We better have a newsstand survey," said he.

The survey quickened his brightest hopes. Children were clamoring, not for Action Comics, but for "that magazine with Superman in it." Quivering with excitement, Donenfeld ordered Superman splashed all over the cover of succeeding issues. They sold out.

So... presuming that this is a condensed version of underlying facts, He had a very good idea that the Action #7 (Dec 1938) cover was going to work, and probably started prepping for Superman #1 (hit in May 1939, according to this Sat Evening Post article) right after Action #7 hit and they knew it did well.

(and they absolutely knew they were onto something by early '39, because DC v Bruns was in motion by then)

The article would seem to confirm the fact that they were sold on it even as they were prepping the Action #7 cover, as it says "From the fall of '38 on, it was all sale and no anchor."

edit to add -- that sure does look like the #17 cover on there, so I guess that goes a long ways towards placing it in the timeline. I would have guessed much sooner based on what they knew and when!

Quite possible from these findings and comments from you all that this ad might as well had its infancy beginnings as far as Action 7 and could have been out in a drug store as early as Action 11 (April 1939) or Action 13 (June 1939) to cross market the new Supe title and continuing appearances in Action Comics...still curious if the popularity was a hit in late 38, why the supe consecutive covers didn't start til 19--even with slow gathering of sales data. Fun stuff to investigate. Would be cool if anyone could find a real drug store pic with this ad next to the comics :)

Quite possible from these findings and comments from you all that this ad might as well had its infancy beginnings as far as Action 7 and could have been out in a drug store as early as Action 11 (April 1939) or Action 13 (June 1939) to cross market the new Supe title and continuing appearances in Action Comics...still curious if the popularity was a hit in late 38, why the supe consecutive covers didn't start til 19--even with slow gathering of sales data. Fun stuff to investigate. Would be cool if anyone could find a real drug store pic with this ad next to the comics :)

I was wondering about this as well... I wonder if they were initially worried that having the Superman comic AND regular Superman-covered Action would be too much...?

But thinking about it further... look at what happened around Jan-Mar 1939: The newspaper strip launched, they moved to squash the competition with DC v Bruns, and they were prepping for the Superman comic -- and of course, by the end of the year there were monthly Superman Action covers. So that fits with the all sail and no anchor quote for fall '38. They were preparing to blow things up in '39, and they did.