• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Early" Action Comics Club (#1-24)
9 9

1,479 posts in this topic

The pic was a grainy black and white and it was posted on here at one time...it's all on my crashed laptop right now.

lol

I recall seeing this book when DG first got it and he had it on display for one day in his store. And I recall the picture in the catologue that you are referring to -- which is somewhere on this site in the 2 to 3 years ago timeframe.

What Gator is calling "color wash" was on the book before DG got it, as was the now absent grease stain.

In any event, if a heavily taped poor looking bad page quality restored book is worth 51K, what's DG's copy worth? What's the most a restored book has sold for?

Gator has stated several times that entry level price for a complete Action #1 seems to be $100,000 so that would be the bare minimum. The rest would actually depend on the amount of restoration done to the book.

If DG's copy were to slab out a blue 7.5 (as some had hypothesized), well the book would be worth a lot.

As it stands now, it's anybody's guess.

Gator has stated several times that entry level price for a complete Action #1 seems to be $100,000 so that would be the bare minimum. The rest would actually depend on the amount of restoration done to the book.

If DG's copy were to slab out a blue 7.5 (as some had hypothesized), well the book would be worth a lot.

As it stands now, it's anybody's guess.

It is only a guess if you don't have any facts... Since I have none lol I'll guess the book is a 7.5-8.0 slight with tear seals and cover cleaned... 150k was old "easy" (that is what I offered years ago)... Maybe much more today (shrug)

Sorry, you're saying $150K is the entry level price for any complete copy now?

C'mon now Roy, you know it isn't that easy.

That's like saying any steak is worth $15 a pound because it's a "steak".

:P

:hi:

Still think 100k is reasonable price to pay for an attractively restored book... Not talking .5 extensives or 1.5 amateurs ... But a nice 6.0 or better restored copy is likely going to bring 6 figures... This particular copy I offered 150k years ago ... I think it is worth more than that Today

I'm asking about the value of PLODs, and I assume that DG's copy is not blue.

The Court copy went for a little under $150K right? And I don't think that copy is nearly as nice as DG's, although the Court copy does have a certain cache due to its history that might bump up its price a little bit.

The reason I keeping asking for opinons on DG's book, is that I wonder what affects value more when it comes to a restored book:

(1) How much it is restored, or

(2) How good it looks.

DG's copy has white pages and not a lot of restoration, but it is not going to present as well as some more restored copies, at least to a casual viewer, because of the discoloration on the top edge. For restorted copies is it all about the "Apparent" rating, or will a more structurally sound and less altered restored book trump a higher rated "apparent" book?

action5court.jpg

Court copy :cloud9:

This may be my favorite O'Mealia cover. It's a great and dramatic composition, the rendering of the main figure is as good as Foster or Frazetta, the colors are spectacular with the yellows contrasting against the blue sky, and, maybe best of all, the way it breaks the third plane and the main figure extends into the logo heightens the drama and emphasizes the main figure's expression of determination.

Still think 100k is reasonable price to pay for an attractively restored book... Not talking .5 extensives or 1.5 amateurs ... But a nice 6.0 or better restored copy is likely going to bring 6 figures... This particular copy I offered 150k years ago ... I think it is worth more than that Today

OK, my understanding based on what you had written in the past was that the entry level price for any complete Action Comics #1, whether it an extensively restored copy or a low grade but complete unrestored copy, would be about $100,000.

OK, my understanding based on what you had written in the past was that the entry level price for any complete Action Comics #1, whether it an extensively restored copy or a low grade but complete unrestored copy, would be about $100,000.

That is still correct... At the time I was not considering really low grade restored copies... Didn't the clink copy bring in the 40s and the current 1.5 would shock me if it sniffed 100k... A 4.5 ext was about 90k recently right? So not set in stone just some general observations

That is still correct... At the time I was not considering really low grade restored copies... Didn't the clink copy bring in the 40s and the current 1.5 would shock me if it sniffed 100k... A 4.5 ext was about 90k recently right? So not set in stone just some general observations

Well, with Sheen and some other bidders who might see this as a last chance to get an Action 1 before it goes completely off the 100k radar, this book might be able to get a close sniff to 100k.

Well, with Sheen and some other bidders who might see this as a last chance to get an Action 1 before it goes completely off the 100k radar, this book might be able to get a close sniff to 100k.

A board member owns Charlie sheens former copy... A slight 6.5...Something tells me sheen isn't in the market lol

ActionComicsAshcanFC.jpg

Interesting how the logo changed from the ashcan of Action 1 to actual Action 1 -- e.g. got rid of thin and squiggly lines top and bottom of logo for bolder border.

Does the similarity between the as published "Action" logo and the "Action Funnies" logo mean the "Action Funnies" ash-can post-dated the publication of Action 1?

I wish Moondog (and Zaid and whoever else has Ashcans) would doe a separate post your Ashcans thread with all those rare beauties none of us will ever see in person on one thread. Those are the coolest!

(thumbs u I think I can arrange that in the next few days!

I wish Moondog (and Zaid and whoever else has Ashcans) would doe a separate post your Ashcans thread with all those rare beauties none of us will ever see in person on one thread. Those are the coolest!

(thumbs u I think I can arrange that in the next few days!

Brilliant!