• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Early" Action Comics Club (#1-24)
9 9

1,479 posts in this topic

It looks like Alton's old copy!

it is :(

I miss it so, but the sale of it helped toward the car I am driving, plus, I will buy another copy someday I'm sure. :)

it is a very nice book if you don't mind spine splits, and it has very nice pages as well.

Car?, you should have walked more and kept that book.

:hi:

lol thanks for the advice Kenny, next time I will do that.

Although not exactly an Action comics, but still pretty cool in my book. Saafield 1940s Superman puzzle. I actually have one already but it is missing a few pieces so when a complete one came up I had to jump. Price was pretty decent on it. :banana:

superman_puzzle.jpg

Although not exactly an Action comics, but still pretty cool in my book. Saafield 1940s Superman puzzle. I actually have one already but it is missing a few pieces so when a complete one came up I had to jump. Price was pretty decent on it. :banana:

superman_puzzle.jpg

(thumbs u

How rare is that puzzle (I'd probably like to get one with a nice box)?

superman_puzzle.jpg

(thumbs u

How rare is that puzzle (I'd probably like to get one with a nice box)?

Watch eBay, just search for "Superman puzzle". I think there are 4 on there right now. Over the years (~15 or so), I have seen probably about 100 or so offered. Not common, but not super rare.

the 13 is a cgc 5.0 restored

the 15 is a 7.0 restored

I imagine the going market rate for an Action #13 must be substantilly higher than what is is for Action #15 based upon what I am always reading on the boards.

I still remember back in the late 80's or early 90's when Action #15 was valued higher than Action #13. During one of my late night conversations with John Snyder, I remembered asking him the reason for this apparent pricing anomaly and he said that he would have to check with Bob since he also found this to be rather strange.

Well, lo and behold, in next year's guide (or possibly the one after that), Action #13 had moved ahead of Action #15 to stay. (thumbs u

the 15 is a 7.0 restored

I imagine the going market rate for an Action #13 must be substantilly higher than what is is for Action #15 based upon what I am always reading on the boards.

I still remember back in the late 80's or early 90's when Action #15 was valued higher than Action #13. During one of my late night conversations with John Snyder, I remembered asking him the reason for this apparent pricing anomaly and he said that he would have to check with Bob since he also found this to be rather strange.

Well, lo and behold, in next year's guide (or possibly the one after that), Action #13 had moved ahead of Action #15 to stay. (thumbs u

Action #15 was felt to be "worth" more than Action #13 back then because Superman is depicted very prominently on the cover. On Action #13, Superman is reletively small.

the 15 is a 7.0 restored

Action #15 was felt to be "worth" more than Action #13 back then because Superman is depicted very prominently on the cover. On Action #13, Superman is reletively small.

Timely;

That's really interesting to know as it had never even crossed my mind! (thumbs u

I always liked the cover to Action #13 a lot more because of the train as opposed to that badly drawn submarine on Action #15. The colours are also a lot better on issue #13 with the bright red and yellow on the train.

Never bothered to looked at how Superman was depicted since the overall cover image just seem so much more attractive to me with respect to issue #13. :cloud9:

An Action #7 CGC 1.0 has been added to the preview of the May Heritage auction. No pic yet, but the description notes a moderate amount of tape to cover and interior.

So a detached/reattached cover? Should be interesting!

Description:Action Comics #7 (DC, 1938) CGC FR 1.0 Off-white to white pages. While this auction is focused on Gary Dahlberg's original-owner "Twin Cities pedigree" collection for the most part, Mr. Dahlberg did pick up some secondhand gems in his day as well, most notably this copy of one of the hottest Golden Age books around! It's the second Superman cover ever, and tied with Detective #22 as the second superhero cover in the history of comics. Formerly somewhat under the radar, this book has rocketed into Overstreet's top 15 in just the past few years.

While this copy is Fair for reasons clearly visible on our scan, we'll note that the last three copies of #7 we auctioned sold for 2-6 times Guide, and we expect strong interest in this one as well.

CGC notes, "Moderate amount of tape on cover & interior." Overstreet 2010 GD 2.0 value = $6,060. CGC census 3/11: 1 in 1.0, 14 higher. From the Gary Dahlberg Collection.

An Action #7 CGC 1.0 has been added to the preview of the May Heritage auction. No pic yet, but the description notes a moderate amount of tape to cover and interior.

So a detached/reattached cover? Should be interesting!

Description:Action Comics #7 (DC, 1938) CGC FR 1.0 Off-white to white pages. While this auction is focused on Gary Dahlberg's original-owner "Twin Cities pedigree" collection for the most part, Mr. Dahlberg did pick up some secondhand gems in his day as well, most notably this copy of one of the hottest Golden Age books around! It's the second Superman cover ever, and tied with Detective #22 as the second superhero cover in the history of comics. Formerly somewhat under the radar, this book has rocketed into Overstreet's top 15 in just the past few years.

While this copy is Fair for reasons clearly visible on our scan, we'll note that the last three copies of #7 we auctioned sold for 2-6 times Guide, and we expect strong interest in this one as well.

CGC notes, "Moderate amount of tape on cover & interior." Overstreet 2010 GD 2.0 value = $6,060. CGC census 3/11: 1 in 1.0, 14 higher. From the Gary Dahlberg Collection.

The raw 1.0 ish sold in late 2009 for over $9K..so it will be interesting to see the hammer price for this copy. Can't wait to see the scan.

pic is up, sizable piece missing from front cover.

Sizable?..more like ginormous!

That said, I would still not mind owning it. For the right price of course.

Will be interesting to follow.

I'm always excited to see a copy of this book available, but that missing piece really messes with me on this one.

action7.jpg

ouch

Good news: The original owner found the original torn off piece at the bottom of the box he'd kept his books in.

Bad news: He had a conservator friend reattach the piece with archival tape, making the book worth 90% less.

Good news: .The guy's dog sniffed the book and got the tape stuck on his nose, pulled it loose and tore away the taped on piece, along with another two inches of the cover.

Edited by bluechip