• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why does anyone really care about Werewolf by night #32 ?

247 posts in this topic

What exactly is "rough" or "weak" about this post? The fact remains Moon Knight isn't a character that will ever threaten wolverine or spider-man in popularity. This may be an extreme example but I think you get my point.

P

That's why Richard is asking $4400 for his 9.8, not $44,000 likeu he might for Hulk 181 in 9.8, or $44 bajillion like he iwould for an AF 15 in 9.8.

Thingthimg

The thing that baffles me is that Nova #1 in same grade does not command s similar price as werewolf by night 32...both were secret a avengers

Well, the obvious answer is that Nova #1 was a #1 issue and was generally hoarded by a lot of the collectors at the time. No doubt, many more uber HG copies of Nova #1 around as compared to WBN #32.

To sum up your position: I don't like a character, so I don't understand why others lke that character and, in turn, why there is demand for that character's first appearance.

yep

Just like that crappy showcase 4 :baiting:

Happy belated birthday (worship)

Yeah what a crappy character. Continually has new series made after him that sell well and made top 10 since the revamp in 2006. Continually added to new teams. Been making new headway as a character and growing a larger fan base. Had a tv show being made for him until writer strike happened for television but yet episodes are rumured to still be written for the series which from my understanding verified by the writer of the episodes himself. Has a new upcoming series being written by Bendis which in my understanding is one of the better writers.

Yep nothing going on with this D-list hero.

What took you so long (shrug)

Yeah what a crappy character. Continually has new series made after him that sell well and made top 10 since the revamp in 2006. Continually added to new teams. Been making new headway as a character and growing a larger fan base. Had a tv show being made for him until writer strike happened for television but yet episodes are rumured to still be written for the series which from my understanding verified by the writer of the episodes himself. Has a new upcoming series being written by Bendis which in my understanding is one of the better writers.

Yep nothing going on with this D-list hero.

What took you so long (shrug)

My reverse psychology didn't work on you. Must be because you know.

This thread is for monkeys.

Moon Monkeys.

monkey-moon-productions-logo.jpg

That is what I looked like, last night, while standing under the rays of the Super Moon!

That reminds me. Its the 19th and suppose to be the closet the moon will be getting to the earth this year. Anyone getting pics?

Originally Posted By: Whisp

"Yeah what a crappy character. Continually has new series made after him that sell well and made top 10 since the revamp in 2006. Continually added to new teams. Been making new headway as a character and growing a larger fan base. Had a tv show being made for him until writer strike happened for television but yet episodes are rumured to still be written for the series which from my understanding verified by the writer of the episodes himself. Has a new upcoming series being written by Bendis which in my understanding is one of the better writers.

Yep nothing going on with this D-list hero."

You prove my point. Moon Knight has been around since the 70's & you say he is making headway and grower a larger fan base. Thirty plus years & the character is making headway. What about Moon Knight before 2006? I stated before that I actually like the character but the poor sales figures & cancellations prove I'm in the minority.

The reason that moon knight is less popular is the poor writing after intially good stories. I think part of that comes from writers trying to make a story out of his dual personality/god thing and you get a giant steaming pile of confusing garbage. I believe they believe its character development... His look is actually pretty cool, especially compared to disco nova. And taskmaster is another character with potential, but hasnt had the right treatment. Personally I think taskmaster/deadpool has some comic potential if done by say, Joe Kelly. The Platt covers are also pretty bad from the second series.

So I'm starting a petition to make MK a B lister. Ok B- lister. Anyone with me?

-Brian

Originally Posted By: Whisp

"Yeah what a crappy character. Continually has new series made after him that sell well and made top 10 since the revamp in 2006. Continually added to new teams. Been making new headway as a character and growing a larger fan base. Had a tv show being made for him until writer strike happened for television but yet episodes are rumured to still be written for the series which from my understanding verified by the writer of the episodes himself. Has a new upcoming series being written by Bendis which in my understanding is one of the better writers.

Yep nothing going on with this D-list hero."

You prove my point. Moon Knight has been around since the 70's & you say he is making headway and grower a larger fan base. Thirty plus years & the character is making headway. What about Moon Knight before 2006? I stated before that I actually like the character but the poor sales figures & cancellations prove I'm in the minority.

Moon Knight had some hype back in the day as well. The headway I am talking about is not the books themselves but the tv show and more toys. Also he has had some very good sales and you need to look at the diamond records for 2006 and then when they did the VotMK. Also there hasn't been cancellations per say but revamps since they have been doing different things with this character. 2006 was bringing him back after being severly hurt then they went into his persona more in depth and then into the whole ordeal with his brother and now he is a secret avenger. He pretty much has had ongoing series of his own since 2006 with only some intermitent breaks as they continued his story arc be it switching writers and artists or for when he did secret avengers and now heroes for hire but he has been steady. Then in May or so we right back in the fray with the new Bendis series. Thats 5 years straight of that character being in the main stream. And prior to 2006 he was in a bunch of team ups and other story arcs in which some key things happened with the character leading up to 2006. We have some really good stories that where orignally in the Hulk Magazines that are favourites of some, there weas some good stories in the Marc Spector series and pretty much form there he was in some teamups and other books back and fourth as usual.

If he had such poor sales and cancellations in which in which I perceive differntly then why would they continue the character having his own series?

In my opinion still a strong character.

The reason that moon knight is less popular is the poor writing after intially good stories. I think part of that comes from writers trying to make a story out of his dual personality/god thing and you get a giant steaming pile of confusing garbage. I believe they believe its character development... His look is actually pretty cool, especially compared to disco nova. And taskmaster is another character with potential, but hasnt had the right treatment. Personally I think taskmaster/deadpool has some comic potential if done by say, Joe Kelly. The Platt covers are also pretty bad from the second series.

So I'm starting a petition to make MK a B lister. Ok B- lister. Anyone with me?

-Brian

That is what hurt 2006 series after like the 10th book as I mentioned up to about #20 then they did the down south arc which was pretty good and then came back in my opinion with a good story line with VotMK which was a pretty decent team. The side stories in Deadpool, Secret Avengers and Heroes for Hire have been pretty good as well that contain Moon Knight and go into some of the things that Moon Knight has been doing with that team as well as on his own. I think he fits in perfectly with the Secret Avengers and some of those missions are pretty cool. I have never really read Deadpool up tp that point and the whole clone thing of Moon Knight and such was fun to read.

Anywyas we have Bendis on board and I have read some of Bendis stuff in the past and enjoyed it, heard others say he is a good writer and can think only good things can happen. Not sure about maleev for artwork.

I also really liked the Deodato art work in the past and hope some variants are done by him in the upcoming series.

"If he had such poor sales and cancellations in which in which I perceive differntly then why would they continue the character having his own series?"

Because that's what happens in comics. Companies rehash the same thing over & over. Comic companies think what's old is new again. Captain Marvel & Alpha Flight for Marvel have been rebooted numerous times despite poor sales previously, for example. Another poster mentioned Cloak & Dagger, which also follows this method. DC has done the same thing with Booster Gold & Blue Devil. They basically throw everything against the wall just to see what sticks.

Story and caliber of character aside, it's all about supply and demand.

Low supply + moderate demand = elevated prices.

WBN's in high grade (9.4+) are definitely low in supply for a book published in 1975, and the demand grew for a few years up to 2009 due both to revamps in VotMK and some timely articles priming the pumps, so to speak. Since 2009 prices have been pulling back fairly significantly (halving in the last year) as more people realize the supply was low and dig out their old copies they probably didn't even know they had. Heck, a few years ago, NOONE thought we'd ever see a 9.8. We've now seen 2 in the last 3 years in the census, and now apparently a 3rd. I expect a bunch more to surface soonish.. Remembering a 2nd tier character with niche appeal who's first appearance was in the middle of a only mildly popular horror book would escape a lot of people's attention.

Barring some huge TV show/movie or an amazing runaway success with the upcoming Bendis revamp, I fully expect the book to continue to fall in value as demand remains the same and supply increases over the next year or two.

My guess is it'll stabilize at about 2/3rds of prices today...

and yes, I'm a die hard fan. Purely a collector and I have almost 25 copies of WBN 32 in various grades I've collected over the years.

"If he had such poor sales and cancellations in which in which I perceive differntly then why would they continue the character having his own series?"

Because that's what happens in comics. Companies rehash the same thing over & over. Comic companies think what's old is new again. Captain Marvel & Alpha Flight for Marvel has been rebooted numerous times despite poor sales previously, for example. Another poster mentioned Cloak & Dagger, which also follows this method. DC has done the same thing with Booster Gold & Blue Devil. They basically throw everything against the wall just to see what sticks.

Yeah they have been throwing Moon Knight with continued new stories and nothing rehashed for 5 years now to see what sticks lol hahahahahaahaha. They have even gone more indepth into the character in the VotMK series and talked about stuff they never even released on the character before about him. They have integrated him into Secret Avengers a teamup he has never been in and they have included him into this new Heroes for Hire. They even integrated him partly into Shadowland. Yeah they just throwing him at the wall. Seems that he is in almost all the major story lines going on now. He was even integrated into Civil War.

comical!

Sorry but this character is alot stronger then you think.

Another poster mentioned Cloak & Dagger, which also follows this method. DC has done the same thing with Booster Gold & Blue Devil. They basically throw everything against the wall just to see what sticks.

Hype for C&D is probably pretty legitimate lately considering it's got a movie in the works (and is moving along in pre-production nicely).