• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Richard Rae & The curious case of the Mike Royer light-boxed artworks . . .

694 posts in this topic

I've been reluctant to comment further in this thread because the last time I contributed a (quite innocuous) post, it was used by Richard as the reason not to go ahead with his claim to return the artwork to Joan :( It was ridiculous because it was in relation to Richard's use of a nick-name for Terry which he denied using but the evidence was in Terry's CAF gallery so it was undeniable!

I've never had an issue with Richard in my previous contact with him starting a couple of years ago but then I never agreed to any proposed deals. He was enthusiastic and apparently keen to be involved with the comic art community and we chatted about his collection and the fact that he'd organised the first major comic con in Australia many years ago.

He mentioned his attempts to raise funds to kick start the local comic scene and that he'd had work commissioned from Rich Buckler and others. He asked whether any of my clients (Australian comics artists working for DC, Marvel, Dark Horse and IDW) would be interested in being involved but I knew their work schedules wouldn't allow their involvement.

However, I then read Terry's initial posts regarding the lightboxed pieces with interest and agreed with his assessment/opinion about how these pieces should be described/viewed. Having now seen posts from Brian Howard and e-mails from Rich Buckler, I am stunned that Richard continues to post here and has chosen not to reply to their posts/e-mails and make an attempt to defend himself but instead posts puerile "waiting" remarks *sigh* Best,

Royd (who hopes that others realise that not all Aussies are the same)

Well, between this incident, and the Mel Gibson thing...and I never got over the whole Russell Crowe throwing the phone thing...it's going to be tough.

Between you and Chris Hemsworth you are making a nice comeback. (thumbs u

Haha, thanks Chris! As for Mel Gibson, we now disown him and point out that he was born in NYC ;) and Russel Crowe is from the Land of the Long White Cloud but we'll continue to claim him as an Aussie even though he's a "bad boy" :)

Apart from Chris Hemsworth, we're also quite happy to claim Aussie born ladies Yvonne Strahovski (Sarah in "Chuck") and Anna Torv (Olivia Dunham in "Fringe") and gent Ryan Kwanten (Jason from "True Blood") :) Best,

Royd

I've been reluctant to comment further in this thread because the last time I contributed a (quite innocuous) post, it was used by Richard as the reason not to go ahead with his claim to return the artwork to Joan :(

I think it has less to do with you than you think. He's a typical delusional crook. He just needed someone to point the finger at.

If you think for a minute that he was going to do something honorable, you're just kidding yourself.

The only way anyone is going to get any satisfaction in this deal is to take a vacation to Australia and put some knuckle justice across his head. Anyone expecting money, comic books, or legitimate artwork returned to them is setting themselves up for eternal disappointment.

OK children I'm back once more to answer all your questions (again if everyone is up?)...I'll reply by typing slow because I know none of you can read very fast.

I'm sure everyone is here...possibly not Terry because re-runs of The Big Bang Theory are playing tonight and I'm sure the rest of you already have the DVD box sets...now...question one...or do you guys just want to stand on a soap box and yell?...it's really up to you guys.

However...it might be nice if you took the time to read my detailed reply in this fred (get it) before attacking.

Once again...waiting...

Oh...have we all changed the subject to Aussie movie stars?...I guess it is hard for any of you to do something simple like "stick to the point"...that is way to much to ask between all of the name calling...still waiting...(again)

-----

A guy walks into a bar and says, "I'd like to have a Bin Laden, please."

The bartender says "Never heard of that one. How's it made?"

The guy says "Easy...two shots, and a splash of water."

Okay I'll chime in on this just to add a it more evidence to the pile (there can never be enough, really).

I own this piece here.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=471316&GSub=104176

It's the jewel in my collection. It's Kirby pencils underneath Royer inks. On the same piece of paper. It's worth tens of thousands of dollars.

In October 2009, I got this email from Richard Rae:

"Hi LB...I'm a big fan of Mike Royer's work and this Silver Surfer GN cover really shows his clean line art...I don't know if you would be interested in possibly doing some kind of trade for it ? I have a small number of cool originals shown in my gallery like a Dynamic Steranko/Buckler Cap with Bucky, along with other assorted items. I'm happy to work on some trade if you are?...kindest regards, Richard Rae"

Now while he has many little ways he can backpedal if I were to accuse him of anything nefarious he's definitely someone who has now been proven to try and get big dollar pieces with worthless trade. Even if he has honorable goals of trying to kick start the Aussie comics industry he's proved himself to be completely duplicitous. And I would hazard a guess that if any potential investor or unsuspecting artist tries to google his name now they'll discover the truth.

Success.

But then again the only person on these boards that doesn't think Richard is trying his very best to be a small-time crook is, well, Richard.

Cheers,

Simon

Well I made you an offer and I'm a crook?...people make me offers all the time and I can say yes or no...in fact I think you said no to my offer...no big deal...all I'm sorry for is simply asking (and clearly that's a crime)...

I mean just think about it...what if I said to Simon that I really liked the art and I offered $1,000,000 for it...do you think he'd come back and say "gee that's to much"...I don't think so....and even if he did come back and say that what if I said "I don't care I just want it"...sure...most of you guys have art that "you think" is worth (what did Simon say) oh thats right "It's worth tens of thousands of dollars"...and I guess like most of the stuff it's a grail (so many grails)...the truth is something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it...now tell me I'm a crook for saying that.

Sorry, for what you emailed me you're not a crook. Please don't cling to that and let it define your understanding of the entire thread here.

You're a crook for at least three other reasons mentioned earlier in the thread. You're only a bit of a fool for trying to trade a photocopied and inked "Steranko/Buckler" for a vintage Kirby/Royer (note the lack of quotes used here).

Okay I'll chime in on this just to add a it more evidence to the pile (there can never be enough, really).

I own this piece here.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=471316&GSub=104176

It's the jewel in my collection. It's Kirby pencils underneath Royer inks. On the same piece of paper. It's worth tens of thousands of dollars.

In October 2009, I got this email from Richard Rae:

"Hi LB...I'm a big fan of Mike Royer's work and this Silver Surfer GN cover really shows his clean line art...I don't know if you would be interested in possibly doing some kind of trade for it ? I have a small number of cool originals shown in my gallery like a Dynamic Steranko/Buckler Cap with Bucky, along with other assorted items. I'm happy to work on some trade if you are?...kindest regards, Richard Rae"

Now while he has many little ways he can backpedal if I were to accuse him of anything nefarious he's definitely someone who has now been proven to try and get big dollar pieces with worthless trade. Even if he has honorable goals of trying to kick start the Aussie comics industry he's proved himself to be completely duplicitous. And I would hazard a guess that if any potential investor or unsuspecting artist tries to google his name now they'll discover the truth.

Success.

But then again the only person on these boards that doesn't think Richard is trying his very best to be a small-time crook is, well, Richard.

Cheers,

Simon

Richard you got nerves !!! Thanks LB for this huge evidence of yet another unfortunate attempt to deceive an OA collector !!!

We know from Rich Buckler how the Steranko piece was done and commissioned ..

R.Rae you NEED to GIVE the art BACK to the spanish collector

and you NEED MEDICAL care !!

As a crook you're just too lousy to be real, you're acting like you're dumb deaf and blind with your fighting Terry, I say you're INSANE MAN !!!!

Get back to reality and save what's left of yourself .....and last, I won't quote you but

..NO POLITICS on this board (tsk)

You're one of the good guys in this hobby, Royd. Everyone likes you.

Geographical location is irrelevant.

At this point I'm leaning towards Romain's assertions that D*i*c*k Rae has serious mental issues.

As for D*i*c*k's lengthy post (which a friend . . . if he still has any . . . obviously typed out for him), we've already covered everything he mentions in detail.

Just because he vigorously denies everything, doesn't make it so.

Even the one guy here who was possibly sympathetic towards him now realises that D*i*c*k is a lost cause and totally without redemption.

You're one of the good guys in this hobby, Royd. Everyone likes you.

Geographical location is irrelevant.

At this point I'm leaning towards Romain's assertions that D*i*c*k Rae has serious mental issues.

As for D*i*c*k's lengthy post (which a friend . . . if he still has any . . . obviously typed out for him), we've already covered everything he mentions in detail.

Just because he vigorously denies everything, doesn't make it so.

Even the one guy here who was possibly sympathetic towards him now realises that D*i*c*k is a lost cause and totally without redemption.

Exactly. Geographical location IS irrelevant. Bringing this dude's ways and means into the spotlight is VERY important. I'm passing along all of this thread to my handful of OA collector friends. I'd say shame on him, but I'm afraid he'd get lost in translation.

Dan

I'm just trying to figure out why he comes back here. He must know that this is a smallish group of people who have already made up their minds about him, so what's he trying to do? Is it possible he's really delusional enough to think he might have something to gain?

OK children I'm back once more to answer all your questions (again if everyone is up?)...I'll reply by typing slow because I know none of you can read very fast.

First of all, when you posted this it was between 1 am and 4 am in the US. Nice timing to avoid most contact with people. You are truly brave.

Secondly, for someone who can't spell, can't form a sentence, and can't comprehend simple concepts I find it ludicrous that the insult you went for was that WE are the dumb ones.

I would think by now you would have been crushed under the ironic weight of the contradiction that someone who can't spell or use simple grammar trying to pass himself off as a publisher of works that include writing.

From what I have read so far, you'd have trouble publishing books for the illiterate. That might explain your business failings to date. That AND the complete moral bankruptcy issue.

Carry on...you were going to explain how you passing off a piece as a Steranko/Buckler when Steranko was never within a hundred miles of the piece in exchange for a REAL Kirby piece was NOT a deception.

This should be interesting. Do you have Brian's money yet? How about Rich's? (shrug)

Am I typing too fast?