• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post the Nicest book(s) you own nobody else care?

437 posts in this topic

Here are scans of a few of my Blackhawk comics:

23-02-201395056AM_zps37942b9b.jpg

22-02-201382259PM_zps98389228.jpg

Northland copy

22-02-201382302PM_zpsdf8b1534.jpg

22-02-201382305PM_zpsf33b9c08.jpg

22-02-201382308PM_zps6e28b54d.jpg

001_zpsb01cec15.jpg

Northland copy

010_zps9af35c2e.jpg

The other Blackhawk fan on this board may want to raise his hand here....

(shrug)

Here is my book

Bill Battle #3

I bought this book way back in 2007. I first saw the cover in Overstreet update quarterly back in 1990 and wanted one.. Well years later I got one, a Crowley copy.

Paid guide for it, the dealer saw me coming.

In 6 years it has not gained a cent in value. I think I'm the only person who likes it. There was not even a set registry for poor old Bill till 2012. And when it happened I put the book up there. And forgot about it as I was the only one with a book on it. 7 months later I get a envelope from CGC with not a clue what it was about. Behold I'm the owner of a number 1 set in registry certificate. I laughed so hard. But now I have been overtaken by a owner of a Bill Battle #2 I think.

My glory days in the sun with the only Bill are now over.

I will have to settle for number 2 on the set registry with my book that no one cares about.

I like that comic. (thumbs u

Wouldn't mind having one of those at all.

Savage Tales was an important title.

Even for those who don’t like Conan there were many features and I think there has been some first appearances (or important events) on it as well… :)

Here's one that not many people care about that I'm a proud owner of:

IMG_1935_zpsb147e432.jpg

Savage Tales was an important title.

Even for those who don’t like Conan there were many features and I think there has been some first appearances (or important events) on it as well… :)

I agree! Conan is still an aggressively collected title.

Here though are scans of six more of my Blackhawk comics:

003_zps5955f0db.jpg

004_zpsa9503e10.jpg

006_zpsafd2952d.jpg

007_zps1db4248b.jpg

008_zps89498184.jpg

009_zpsb99920d0.jpg

:cool:

I meant that, beside Conan, Savage Tales was important for the more Marvel age related characters as well. :)

Although they probably do not qualify as "nobody else care" material, here’s my only Blackhawks, but I am very happy to have them: :D

(I have a 1950s issue as well, but not scanned at hand).

Z7dJ8iCh.jpg

CdphRYph.jpg

This one contains what’s considered a prototype of the "witches narrators" in EC Comics, and has breathtaking art… :cloud9:

YGcE7tPh.jpg

Blackhawk has always intrigued me as it was one of the few titles to last from the GA well into the the SA, and some solid artists worked on the title over the years, but having read a number of stories spanning that era, I have to say they are all a bit of a slog. The few Ward efforts with his trademark females are fun to flip through, but the only Blackhawk I really enjoyed reading was Chaykin's copper age take on the character.

As far as I recall, Chaykin’s copper age stories are pretty good (there is an issue where some people speak an italian dialect saying swear words!) – but some of the Golden Age stories are great, and also the 1950s one I have is fascinating.

When the Blackhawk shift from wartime threats to U.F.O. sightings or bizarre menaces in a cold war context, as they remained true to the characters, the stories were more than often cool.

But I have a too limited knowledge of it. What goes for sure is that in the GA Militarys there are some awesome features besides the Blackhawk one… (thumbs u

I meant that, beside Conan, Savage Tales was important for the more Marvel age related characters as well. :)

I know! And worse yet that's the #1 issue of Savage Tales as opposed to say issue #28. I just don't understand how it fits this thread.

(shrug)

I know! And worse yet that's the #1 issue of Savage Tales as opposed to say issue #28. I just don't understand how it fits this thread.

(shrug)

Sorry for posting it :tonofbricks:

I didn't know other people collected or cared about those oversized magazines.