• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post the Nicest book(s) you own nobody else care?

437 posts in this topic

Here is my book

Bill Battle #3

I bought this book way back in 2007. I first saw the cover in Overstreet update quarterly back in 1990 and wanted one.. Well years later I got one, a Crowley copy.

Paid guide for it, the dealer saw me coming.

In 6 years it has not gained a cent in value. I think I'm the only person who likes it. There was not even a set registry for poor old Bill till 2012. And when it happened I put the book up there. And forgot about it as I was the only one with a book on it. 7 months later I get a envelope from CGC with not a clue what it was about. Behold I'm the owner of a number 1 set in registry certificate. I laughed so hard. But now I have been overtaken by a owner of a Bill Battle #2 I think.

My glory days in the sun with the only Bill are now over.

I will have to settle for number 2 on the set registry with my book that no one cares about.

142500.jpg.08e83d793f5452f98468101bce29e739.jpg

142502.jpg.1abe53128d84313e2f57e2927ec346b1.jpg

Well, strictly speaking, a good portion of the 1950s should be "Atomic Age", so it does not have a section here. :D

Sorry guys about posting a 50's book in silver age section, Bill just does not seem to fit anywhere, hence the late addition of having a registry set for him by CGC.

Yes, and I like the early Silver Age cartoon character comics too.

:)

Here's a couple of Bethlehem Peds

Super_goof_6_Bethleham_Front_zps4cae98c0.jpg

Beagle_Boys_6_Bethleham_Front_zpsacc4ce80.jpg

Very Cool! I used to love Super Goof & the Beagle Boys, though even as a young kid I thought the masks were way too small to disguise them.

I was a Super Goof fan as a kid as well. Superhero parodies were my bridge into the world of Superhero comics, initially being a Harvey and Gold key reader when I first started reading them. The Mad parodies collected in paperback, Don Martin's Captain Klutz, Super Goof, Not Brand Ecch, were all things I read before reading a straight up superhero book. Probably why I've always been a Wonder- Warthog fan after discovering him around the age of 12.

That’s curious because, with the rich and varied Disney productions my country has had and has, I never thought of Super Goof as a direct "parody" of superheroes.

Of course, he had super-powers et al, but we were already accustomed to Paperinik (which is indeed a parody of our country’s adult "antihero" comics of the 1960s) but SG did not feel as a parody of something. :)

Classic Paperinik:

10-topolino_672-458_resize.jpg

A cool Disney studio story of Super-Goof from 1968 drawn by Romano Scarpa (set in his native Venezia):

http://coa.inducks.org/story.php?c=S+68063

it_at_0141g_001.jpg

Yes, and I like the early Silver Age cartoon character comics too.

Here's a couple of Bethlehem Peds

Super_goof_6_Bethleham_Front_zps4cae98c0.jpg

Beagle_Boys_6_Bethleham_Front_zpsacc4ce80.jpg

When I was a kid I sometimes got old Super Goofs & Beagle Boys from my local comic store & I always enjoyed them. Nice copies!

As always Hepcat - (worship)

"Where does he get these wonderfully obscure HG books?!?!"

I've been pecking away at them since 1979, that's how! I got most of the Herbies specifically from Motor City Comics at a Motor City Comic Con in 2000 or so. Here are scans of five more of my Herbie comics:

29-03-201340840PM_zps517e0817.jpg

29-03-201340843PM_zps726e68f4.jpg

29-03-201340847PM_zpsceb37c7c.jpg

29-03-201340851PM_zpsebec6e26.jpg

19-05-201363620PM_zps94de098c.jpg

You can remove it, as this thread is about "the Nicest book(s) you own nobody else care", but you can already count two which like the book (I am adding myself). :D

I am not a big fan of Miller’s Daredevil – I think he took too much liberties when adding background to the character, but if I had to choose this would surely be one of the few issues I would keep, especially for the cover.

I love well composed covers which have a single dominating color, especially the white, black and red ones.

This is part of the Miller run so the run has love but this issue always seems to be the unloved one. I think the cover is just awesome and the storyline is also a good one.

image-18.jpg