• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Your Gaines File Copies

178 posts in this topic

I think you meant to say that you upgraded for $150.

I should mention that it's awesome! (worship)

I got this one for about $150 more than I paid for my 9.6. I then sold my 9.6 for exactly what I paid for it so I got this book for $150. (shrug)

I wish that would happen more often.

WeirdFantasy20-1.jpg

The original point of ranking the books was to determine which ones went where. The five best copies of each title were made into sets, and later sold as such. The four lowest ranking copies were made into patchwork sets and were retained by Gaines, and whatever copies were left in the middle, if any, were sold individually. When Gaines passed away in 1994, the "bottom four" sets he kept were presumably inherited by his daughter and two sons, and in recent years these books have also become available.

Ever since the collection entered the public domain, the ranking has become less and less relevant, especially so since encapsulation by CGC has created the opportunity to sell the books without a certificate at all. The vast majority of sets have long since been broken up. Certificates have been switched around, accidentally and intentionally. And obviously, many copies won't be in the same condition as they were when originally ranked.

I'm no longer even interested in the ranking as it pertains to grades. I just think the data is an interesting part of the history of the collection, and should be preserved for its own sake as best it can.

:preach:

I don't quite remember it this way, Dukedog. My recollection is that the numbering was based on condition. No. 1 was the nicest copy. No. 2 the second nicest, etc. There were no grades on these books - just the ranking.

The best copy was retained by Gaines and the others put into sets. I was collecting Piracy at the time and bought the top set available - No. 2 - through Russ' auction. A few years later the No. 1 became available (as Gaines or his estate decided to sell the best ones), and I subsequently bought that one too through Russ' auction.

As Matt has said in a previous thread, the books were perfect for pressing. So the copy of ISF 30, which was the worst copy of the bunch, turned out to be a 9.8 after being pressed. This makes perfect sense to me since most of the flaws were packaging defects.

I wish I had kept those sets!

Anyone else buy any of these when they were first offered to confirm my recollection?

The original point of ranking the books was to determine which ones went where. The five best copies of each title were made into sets, and later sold as such. The four lowest ranking copies were made into patchwork sets and were retained by Gaines, and whatever copies were left in the middle, if any, were sold individually. When Gaines passed away in 1994, the "bottom four" sets he kept were presumably inherited by his daughter and two sons, and in recent years these books have also become available.

Ever since the collection entered the public domain, the ranking has become less and less relevant, especially so since encapsulation by CGC has created the opportunity to sell the books without a certificate at all. The vast majority of sets have long since been broken up. Certificates have been switched around, accidentally and intentionally. And obviously, many copies won't be in the same condition as they were when originally ranked.

I'm no longer even interested in the ranking as it pertains to grades. I just think the data is an interesting part of the history of the collection, and should be preserved for its own sake as best it can.

I don't quite remember it this way, Dukedog. My recollection is that the numbering was based on condition. No. 1 was the nicest copy. No. 2 the second nicest, etc. There were no grades on these books - just the ranking.

The best copy was retained by Gaines and the others put into sets. I was collecting Piracy at the time and bought the top set available - No. 2 - through Russ' auction. A few years later the No. 1 became available (as Gaines or his estate decided to sell the best ones), and I subsequently bought that one too through Russ' auction.

As Matt has said in a previous thread, the books were perfect for pressing. So the copy of ISF 30, which was the worst copy of the bunch, turned out to be a 9.8 after being pressed. This makes perfect sense to me since most of the flaws were packaging defects.

Anyone else buy any of these when they were first offered to confirm my recollection?

When Russ Cochran first began promoting the collection, he sent out a brochure featuring an introductory article written by him, and another one written by Bob Overstreet. (I'll post links to these pages, as I made the scans very large for the sake of clarity.)

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

When Russ Cochran first began promoting the collection, he sent out a brochure featuring an introductory article written by him, and another one written by Bob Overstreet. (I'll post links to these pages, as I made the scans very large for the sake of clarity.)

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Thanks for the great info! Do you still have the original pricing sheet? I'm curious as to what they sold for originally

So the copy of ISF 30, which was the worst copy of the bunch
This should not be assumed at all. Overstreet ranked very quickly, occasionally looking at the back cover so I have no assumptions about best vs. worst based on his ranking. The ranking is much more approximate than it would appear on the surface.

Thanks for the great info! Do you still have the original pricing sheet? I'm curious as to what they sold for originally

I do still have a copy of the price list for the individual sale copies. I don't have scans conveniently already made, though. The next time I scan I'll make them. In the meantime, if there is a particular book or books you want to know about, let me know and I can give you the prices.

My Weird Science 14, as an example, was $400. At the time, the OPG value for a 9.4 was $120. So I paid about 3.3 times guide. I remember the Weird Science-Fantasy 29's were $800. each. I couldn't afford one at the time, and now I just cringe, thinking about it.

If and when possible Dukedog, I'd be beholdin' to you if could get me the info on the HOFs. I greatly appreciate that you, Adam and others are threshing out the certificate rankings (and grading) versus the CGC grades. For me, like many others, the number rankings mean very little, but the certificates themselves are of great importance from the provenance perspective, not to mention tying a little bit of the history together.

Certificate ratio: 17 HOFs/12 certificates

As for the HOF #28 Dukedog, you know where it is. I'm not sure I'm willing to let it go just now, but I promise you first crack at it.

As for Cheetah ... keep up the good work! I am a little perplexed with the math on your WS #20, but who cares? If you only have $150 in it, I'd be more than happy to help turn you a quick 200 percent profit! :baiting:

As for Cheetah ... keep up the good work! I am a little perplexed with the math on your WS #20, but who cares? If you only have $150 in it, I'd be more than happy to help turn you a quick 200 percent profit! :baiting:

lol It is all just a matter if self-justification and delusion. Whatever it takes to keep me moving.

lol It is all just a matter if self-justification and delusion. Whatever it takes to keep me moving.

(thumbs u

Squa Tront, I wonder what these books look like on the insides? I bet they're nicer than those dime-a-dozen reprints... More detail... Richer colors...

And that aroma. :baiting:

Edited by BustedFlush

As for the HOF #28 Dukedog, you know where it is. I'm not sure I'm willing to let it go just now, but I promise you first crack at it.

That's cool, I'm not sure I can afford another GFC right now, anyway. But please do let me know if you do decide to part with one of your copies.

------------------------------------------------

Original GFC Haunt of Fear prices:

1 $2,400.

2 thru 5 No copies available for individual sale

6, 7 $560.

8, 9, 10, 14, 19 $480.

11, 12, 13, 15 thru 18, 20, 21 $400.

22 thru 28 $320.

-------------------------------------------------

Makes me want to cry.

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Thanks for clarifying everything for me Dukedog. My facts were a bit jumbled but the ranking by Overstreet was confirmed. Also, I remember now that I wasn't interested in a "mid-grade" set of Piracy so I waited until the best sets were auctioned off (getting the second-best set and subsequently the best set). What a great time that was for collectors! Hoo-Hah!!!!!!!

Thanks for clarifying everything for me Dukedog. My facts were a bit jumbled but the ranking by Overstreet was confirmed. Also, I remember now that I wasn't interested in a "mid-grade" set of Piracy so I waited until the best sets were auctioned off (getting the second-best set and subsequently the best set). What a great time that was for collectors! Hoo-Hah!!!!!!!

Piracy 7 is one of my favorite George Evans covers, right up there with Shock 17 and Crime 23. I remember seeing one of the Gaines copies for sale on eBay several years ago, and the price was quite reasonable, but at the time I was trying to afford something else.

I don't seem to have any of the sales figures for the GFC sets. They sold after most of the single copies, and I wasn't paying very close attention to the market during the mid '90's. I would've loved a Weird Science set, but there was just no way it was going to happen. Guess I'll have to put one together, one book at a time.

119305.jpg.ada583af96469f7b15feb4cc5941a2b8.jpg

Russ was asking around after the Sothbey's auction if anyone was interested in a complete Gaines HOF set. It was very reasonable as someone needed to raise cash quickly. I believe it went for double guide...

Guess I'll have to put one together, one book at a time.

That Weird Science 14 is unreal - talk about "newstand fresh". :o

I looked for a higher res scan... well, here's the bottom two thirds, anyway. (I really need to set up my scanner again, and soon.)

ws14illo.jpg

That's cool, I'm not sure I can afford another GFC right now, anyway. But please do let me know if you do decide to part with one of your copies.

------------------------------------------------

Original GFC Haunt of Fear prices:

1 $2,400.

2 thru 5 No copies available for individual sale

6, 7 $560.

8, 9, 10, 14, 19 $480.

11, 12, 13, 15 thru 18, 20, 21 $400.

22 thru 28 $320.

-------------------------------------------------

Makes me want to cry.

I'd love to know what the original TFTC prices were if you have those as well. Thanks for the great info!