• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Your Gaines File Copies

178 posts in this topic

Couldn't resist. Just had to see the insides of a Gaines File copy. Stunningly beautiful in color, structure, smell... and three of the stories dwell on the pressures of married life. Writer Otto Binder must have had an interesting social life, seeing as how his stories here kill all sorts of people, and in one tale ends with a gender-blending outcome that could not be predicted ...

I was doing some on-line window shopping the other day and ran across a mid-grade GFC of a Two-Fisted Tales, and seriously considered buying it just so I could crack it and savor the book ... I just might follow through on the thought. :acclaim:

Beautiful books, Curt!

Thanks, Jeff! Yours are absolutely splendid! Of all the sets I hope to complete, GFC HsOF top my list. It may take awhile, maybe ... just maybe .. one day I'll get there. :wishluck:

Does CGC encapsulate the original COA with the comic?

No. They don't do that with any COAs.

Well, in the case of the Gaines' books, they were ranked 1 through 12 and it would be interesting to see how the CGC grades compared. I owned the #2 Piracy set and then upgraded to #1 when it became available...

Sold them many years back.

Interesting the decision by CGC not to list the Gaines "rank order" on their slabs. Rationale was that since the time of initial release, many books had changed hands and there was no certainty that the books remained in original condition.

Sounded like a good reason to me, and since the certificates weren't supposed to be separated from the books, one would still theoretically have the rank order and the CGC grade.

I once owned two books that had been ranked 9/12 and a 12/12, one graded 9.6 and one 9.8. It would have been interesting to see what the "higher order" books graded out!

Edited by comicparadox

Yeah, I've tried to sort out the same thing. From what little I can see, the original ranking does not correspond to CGCs grades. Probably due to lower copies enduring the whole press and resubmit game, variations in grading over time, etc.

The press and grade game has had something to do with it based on what I've heard but I think it is important, too, that the books were subjectively graded by the folks who took them out of the vault and their criteria did not match what CGC grades on today. Perfection of registration is pretty meaningless to CGC.

Yeah, I've tried to sort out the same thing. From what little I can see, the original ranking does not correspond to CGCs grades. Probably due to lower copies enduring the whole press and resubmit game, variations in grading over time, etc.

Overstreet was the only person grading (Russ Cochran helped by handing the books to him) and had to go through about 3500 - 4000 in 2 days. I think CGC graders might grade about 250 - 300 per day of high grade books like these so Overstreet was really flying. I asked Overstreet about the process and he said that he typically only ranked on the basis of the front covers and the differences were so slight he didn't necessarily pause too long when contemplating what rank to assign.

Well, in the case of the Gaines' books, they were ranked 1 through 12 and it would be interesting to see how the CGC grades compared. I owned the #2 Piracy set and then upgraded to #1 when it became available...

Some of the #1 Piracy copies were not the highest after being CGC graded. clink had the set (ungraded) and when I inquired about the price it was way too much for what I knew the variance in grades was likely to be.

Some of the #1 Piracy copies were not the highest after being CGC graded. clink had the set (ungraded) and when I inquired about the price it was way too much for what I knew the variance in grades was likely to be.

I know of many cases where the certificates were intentionally switched by both dealers & collectors in order to sell a "lower number" Gaines copy. At this point, it really does not matter if you got copy #1, 5, 8, or whatever. As long as it is a Gaines copy, that's what is important.

I know of many cases where the certificates were intentionally switched by both dealers & collectors in order to sell a "lower number" Gaines copy. At this point, it really does not matter if you got copy #1, 5, 8, or whatever. As long as it is a Gaines copy, that's what is important.

Timely, you and Adam Strange both, are always appreciated for your insight and knowledge. This all makes a lot of sense. (thumbs u

The certificate for my HOF #8 is listed 12/12. There are only two 9.8s in census. So, who's to say which copy is "better" based on the certificate? To me the certificates are wonderful to have if only from a hobby perspective - just knowing that I have little piece of history from those few day Russ Cochran, Bob Overstreet and Bill Gaines got together. The certificates regardless of the number rank are icing on the cake!

If I remember correctly, there were two issues in the second-best set that were nicer than the best set. I even considered switching the certificates!

Cheetah, absolutely stunning ECs
(thumbs u

This is a crazy hard book to find in grade.

hm

CGC Census: 4 in 9.8, 3 in 9.6, 1 in 9.4, 1 in 9.2 and 1 in 9.0

I know, I've looked at the census also but I almost never see higher grade copies offered for sale. I think most GFCs are locked up in collections and there are very few out there outside of the pedigree.

Or maybe it's just that I can't afford them when they do come around. :tonofbricks:

I don't plan on getting rid of either of my GFCs of Crime Patrol 15 or 16 anytime soon....