• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Your Gaines File Copies

178 posts in this topic

Absolutely agreed. Another GFC I'd love to get, if for the colors alone, is Haunt of Fear 28.

(This is one of the GFC's. 7 of 12, if the original source was correct.)

hof28gfc.jpg

Hey! That's my undercopy, if I can really say that since I don't think of it that way. It remains raw and once in a great while I pull it and just to look at it; maybe open the top of the mylar to take in the aroma of newstand freshness. 28's are a little tougher to find in grade. 7 of 12 (thumbs u At least that's the Cert I have with it. This one I picked up from Stephen off the website. I also have one slabbed in 9.4. Marie Severin colors :cloud9:

Awesome. Of course, it IS a pretty small Gaines File copy world. 7 of 12 was one of the three copies Cochran offered for individual sale, back in 1990. Looks like it's survived quite well.

I've resisted having my Weird Science 14 graded and slabbed (although I'm quite sure it would get a 9.6), just because I like being able to experience a GFC in the raw. It's really amazing to me... the comic almost seems more like a limited edition, diabolically perfect replica of the original 1952 issue. It's hard to believe a comic that old can be that sharp and fresh.

So, you have TWO copies of Haunt 28, do you...? Are you really sure you need so many...?

About 80% of mine have certificates. I don't know anything about them being switched around but I guess if it can be done, it will be done.

FWIW, the CGC grades don't really match up with the Gaines copy number.

About 80% of mine have certificates. I don't know anything about them being switched around but I guess if it can be done, it will be done.

Thanks for the info Jeff! Could have just been hearsay on the cert switching.

That's an important point on the copy number vs. the grade. I read previously around here somewhere that Bob O. sorted through them fairly quickly, mostly using the FC as a guide.

The original point of ranking the books was to determine which ones went where. The five best copies of each title were made into sets, and later sold as such. The four lowest ranking copies were made into patchwork sets and were retained by Gaines, and whatever copies were left in the middle, if any, were sold individually. When Gaines passed away in 1994, the "bottom four" sets he kept were presumably inherited by his daughter and two sons, and in recent years these books have also become available.

Ever since the collection entered the public domain, the ranking has become less and less relevant, especially so since encapsulation by CGC has created the opportunity to sell the books without a certificate at all. The vast majority of sets have long since been broken up. Certificates have been switched around, accidentally and intentionally. And obviously, many copies won't be in the same condition as they were when originally ranked.

I'm no longer even interested in the ranking as it pertains to grades. I just think the data is an interesting part of the history of the collection, and should be preserved for its own sake as best it can.

:preach:

That's an important point on the copy number vs. the grade. I read previously around here somewhere that Bob O. sorted through them fairly quickly, mostly using the FC as a guide.

The comment about the speed of the ranking came from me based on a conversation with Bob Overstreet. I like having the certificates as they were nicely done and have Bill Gaines sig.

That's a beautiful ISF 30, cheetah and shows that even a #12 copy can be quite impressive. I think I've even seen a #12 copy that was a 9.8 so cgc grades are a much more reliable indicator of quality than the ranking. (Yes, it's possible the #12 copy I saw was pressed to obtain that result.)

The comment about the speed of the ranking came from me based on a conversation with Bob Overstreet. I like having the certificates as they were nicely done and have Bill Gaines sig.

I thought that might have been you that wrote that, but I wasn't sure (thumbs u

+1 on having the certs. I only have 2 GFCs, and both still have them.

I got this one for about $150 more than I paid for my 9.6. I then sold my 9.6 for exactly what I paid for it so I got this book for $150. (shrug)

I wish that would happen more often.

WeirdFantasy20-1.jpg

That's a beautiful ISF 30, cheetah and shows that even a #12 copy can be quite impressive. I think I've even seen a #12 copy that was a 9.8 so cgc grades are a much more reliable indicator of quality than the ranking. (Yes, it's possible the #12 copy I saw was pressed to obtain that result.)

I understand from Matt Nelson that a large number of GFC have been pressed.