• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four Movie

1,078 posts in this topic

I went in expecting very little and perhaps because of that I enjoyed it.

I would have liked to see better casting. Reed older and having some leadership ability right from the start, the Thing taller, Johnny younger and not a failed astronaut, Jessica Alba with less clothes or without the PHD, and Doctor Doom not refered to as Vic. Doom should have been ruler of Latveria or they should have gotten rid of Latveria entirely. And like the comic book I would have enjoyed a cosmic bend instead of the more mundane stuff around New York.

Maybe to put those things in a more positive way, I suppose they tried to satisfy the modern film goer while still catering to the comic book fan.

Forgetting the comic book, it was a mindless bit of fun for two hours. The comic book was great though; it changed my life. I took a friend to the film for her birthday but also gave her as a gift the first Essential Fantastic Four. I told her that she could see how great the stories were, after the film.

The X-Men and the Spider-Man movies hit home runs. This one got on base.

I went to the Drive-In to see the FF with my wife and her cousin's daughter who is 12 years old. Both of them don't have a clue about the Fantastic Four!

Guess what,,, although I enjoyed the movie, I didn't like it anywhere near as much as the other two did! The 12 year old now has a new favorite movie,,,,and just so you don't think she has no taste in movies,,,she loves the James Dean "East of Eden" too which she is saving her own money to buy on DVD! I think though she loves James Dean and she also was crushing on "Johnny" too!

As a side note, my wife and I saw War of the Worlds and Batman also at the Drive-In. Batman I thought was good summer entertainment,,but War of the Worlds,,,,that sucked big time!!!

War of the Worlds-A when do you see the protagonist of a Spielberg film murder another protagonist?

Batman Begins-B+=Great casting and acting but I didn't fall in love with it-fight scenes left a lot to be desired- and if a machine were make water turn to steam wouldn't it effect us as we are 2/3s water?

FF-C=Not a very good movie technically speaking- but it was a lot of fun and that counts for something.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory-B-= It just wasn't necessary- the first one was so damn good.

Wedding Crashers-B+=Fun and funny but the 2nd and 3rd acts were a bit long and overdone.

***I caught Whale Rider on PBS tonight- A+ what a brilliant and touching film. If you haven't seen this film check it out. Great acting, intriguing story, what more can I say?

VZ

War of the Worlds an A?????????? You be crazy Vince. D+ and I'm only giving it that because the first 20-25 mins was a B+. The rest an F. Cruise must have forgot they were finished with the movie. He's a wacko in it.

I thought Whale Rider was a bit slow. B

Charlie B- same reasons as you mentioned. Why did they do it?

Batman Begins / Fantastic Four A- They were two really different films as they should be based on the characters.

I was reading Ebert's Q&A column, and came across this incredible answer to a FF fanboy, which pretty well sums up why many geeks identify with even terrible comic book movies (like FF) to the point of obsession:

Ebert:

'What I learned while reading dozens of messages is that comics fans have made enormous psychic investments in their favorite characters, and follow their origins, adventures, opponents and character changes with an attention bordering on obsession. I saw a bad movie. Many of them saw a movie whose goodness or badness was secondary, since whatever happened on the screen was linked in their imaginations with an extensive pre-history."

Like or dislike the man, that is one powerful quote.

I have to say that quote works both ways.

I've seen some people go ape [embarrasing lack of self control] and hate a movie simply because of some minor changes to the story/superhero. Yet the movie is still a really good one.

I was reading Ebert's Q&A column, and came across this incredible answer to a FF fanboy, which pretty well sums up why many geeks identify with even terrible comic book movies (like FF) to the point of obsession:

Ebert:

'What I learned while reading dozens of messages is that comics fans have made enormous psychic investments in their favorite characters, and follow their origins, adventures, opponents and character changes with an attention bordering on obsession. I saw a bad movie. Many of them saw a movie whose goodness or badness was secondary, since whatever happened on the screen was linked in their imaginations with an extensive pre-history."

Like or dislike the man, that is one powerful quote.

JC, I have no problems with your assessment of the movie, and I did find it lacking in many respects as well. However, Roger Ebert is full of . That guy should speak for himself and not try and dictate what people should like or dislike. He'll give a Harry Potter movie 4 stars before even watching it, while putting down some other films because the fantasy part doesn't make sense.

He disliked the first Spider-Man film for no apparent reason, but when he saw how much people loved it, all of a sudden he was the biggest fan of Part 2. Don't get me wrong, I did feel that Part 2 was better than Part 1, but not like night and day.

I've already taked about him in previous threads, but Mr. Inconsistency should be the last person to make a comment like this.

I've seen some people go ape [embarrasing lack of self control] and hate a movie simply because of some minor changes to the story/superhero. Yet the movie is still a really good one.

I have not seen that. I have seen fanboys go all tothemarketdownthestreetforsomeCRAZY BEFORE a movie is released, but once it appears, they quickly fall into line and support the movie like a good fanboy will. There is a HUGE difference between pre-release trashing, and hammering the final product.

Look at X3; the vultures are circling around that turkey, but wait til it hits theatres. The fanboys will be out in full force supporting their newest comic book masterpiece. insane.gif

I have not seen that. I have seen fanboys go all tothemarketdownthestreetforsomeCRAZY BEFORE a movie is released, but once it appears, they quickly fall into line and support the movie like a good fanboy will. There is a HUGE difference between pre-release trashing, and hammering the final product.

Look at X3; the vultures are circling around that turkey, but wait til it hits theatres. The fanboys will be out in full force supporting their newest comic book masterpiece. insane.gif

27_laughing.gif I'm glad you're back, JC. I missed you. cloud9.gif Even though I don't agree with a lot of what you say, ya gotta admire persistence like this. I can honestly say I've never once seen you change your mind or admit defeat. headbang.gif

Usually you hear most of the person_without_enough_empathying before the movie comes out because that's when they first hear about the story changes. But once the movies out, it seems like there's always a group of nit-pickers that move in and continue to trash the film. IMO the internet seems to have more of a haters attitute. I guess I just see both sides of the coin here.

(Although the board has been softer on this one than I expected) 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif I'm glad you're back, JC. I missed you. cloud9.gif Even though I don't agree with a lot of what you say, ya gotta admire persistence like this. I can honestly say I've never once seen you change your mind or admit defeat. headbang.gif

Yes, his campaign of perpetual dislike is quite impressive!

I think Ebert's comment has a certain degree of validity, but I think it actually applies to fanboys who will hate no matter what, just as it does for those who will love no matter what. Those who trash pre-release then come to praise are a minority, IMO, compared to these other groups.

War of the Worlds-A when do you see the protagonist of a Spielberg film murder another protagonist?

Vincent, I too thought that was a powerful scene, until I realized that he had no reason to kill that character. All he had to do was knock him out, then leave. That character's monologue "they buried those things underground a million years ago...they've been planning this all that time" is especially ridiculous, as there's no way he can know that.

Usually you hear most of the person_without_enough_empathying before the movie comes out because that's when they first hear about the story changes. But once the movies out, it seems like there's always a group of nit-pickers that move in and continue to trash the film. IMO the internet seems to have more of a haters attitute. I guess I just see both sides of the coin here.

(Although the board has been softer on this one than I expected) 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And then there are those who consider the film on its' own merits, regardless of source material and unwieldy origin stories, who also couldn't give a bugger whether the film is faithful or not, as long as it's entertaining, cinematic, witty and not cynically aimed at a pre-high school audience.

It's a whole different medium after all. And it's not an internet thing, dammit.

And then there are those who consider the film on its' own merits, regardless of source material and unwieldy origin stories, who also couldn't give a bugger whether the film is faithful or not, as long as it's entertaining, cinematic, witty and not cynically aimed at a pre-high school audience.

It's a whole different medium after all. And it's not an internet thing, dammit.

Exactly, and that's why FF is doing well. It is a pleasant, entertaining diversion that all ages can see that doesn't pretend to be a Cinematic Moment - it is a happy popcorn movie. I hate to sound like a broken record, but kids love this movie.

Exactly, and that's why FF is doing well. It is a pleasant, entertaining diversion that all ages can see that doesn't pretend to be a Cinematic Moment - it is a happy popcorn movie. I hate to sound like a broken record, but kids love this movie.

How old are these kids you keep on mentioning?

I disagree that this movie is for "kids of all ages". It is for kids, period - I'm not bothered by the lack of pretence, what annoyed me was that it was as smugly shallow as the Charlie's Angels movies (one of which I had the misfortune to see).

Star Trek and the Simpsons appeal to all age groups and manage to do so without resorting to cretinous, ham fisted dialogue.

Fair enough, it goes with popcorn. So do Adam Sandler movies.

Fantastic Four is to "failure" as The Island is to ____________.

Please note:

FF's production budget is $100 million and the movie made $56 million opening weekend.

The Island's production budget is $122 million and the movie made $12 million opening weekend.

Note: All figures come from boxofficemojo.com.

Conclusion: Can we really call FF a "failure" when The Island is REALLY a failure/bomb?

BTW, Did anyone see it?